State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

...All that said, there are beautiful parking structures, one relatively close, the other across the pond.

One of my favorite examples of an unobtrusive, well-integrated, aesthetically pleasing parking structure was Boston's own (old) Terminal A at Logan, designed by Yamasaki.

Of course this would probably no longer work with modern airport security requirements. But I can still appreciate it as an achievement in its day.

Background

east3.png

Aerial View

^ Now you're making me nostalgic for my shitty summer job with Massport, circa 1988...

Yamasaki was a genius. He understood how to imbue a forthrightly modern building with the gravitas and wonder of Gothic churches. But there were problems with this otherwise handsome terminal, both related to our harsh New England winters. The exposed aggregate concrete spalled terribly and was challenging and expensive to maintain. And the parking drums at either end would often freeze to a sheet of ice, causing many car accidents. This building belonged in the tropics.

Where is all that brick in the demolition material coming from? I don't remember brick being associated with the concrete drum ramp?

Looks like insulation, not brick.

Might be from demolition/construction on the office part of the parking garage.

This is still the slowest project in Boston but that seemed fast.

1 week to demo the drum ramp

6 for the garage over congress ?

12 for city hall

Lol

Is State Street Bank entire company moving from 1 Lincoln to One Congress or just adding more space?
Who is filling 1 Lincoln Street if that is the case?

For those in the know, how reusable is all that rebar above? Or is that even rebar? Now that I’m looking closely, it looks more like aluminum ducting or something.

For those in the know, how reusable is all that rebar above? Or is that even rebar? Now that I’m looking closely, it looks more like aluminum ducting or something.

Those are metal studs. They're used to frame wall & ceilings.

And to answer your question, not reusable at all.

Back