State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

My camera (phone) stinks. But I do have this view. Double crane in the center.
Screenshot_20210325-190300_Gallery.jpg

I feel like this building is facing the wrong way.

I know it needs to open up onto the street, but I wish the "interesting" part was facing the river rather than the harbor from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Not that its facing the wrong way but how Boston is oriented different than most other cities on a river. Boston is oriented towards the harbor, where most other cities on rivers are oriented towards the river. I was wondering what Boston would have looked like had they instead oriented it toward the charles. Would it be much different? Maybe, maybe not.... but probably yes. I imagine that instead of Boylston, Newbury, Stuart st etc running the long way towards downtown instead theyd run towards the Charles. With the same geography the city could have been much different.

if you check the last photos in particular (3284, for example) it looks like leading up to the pleating are the flat, unadorned joints that you were kind enough to explain, but then after (behind) the pleating you get what you described as "square tube" mullions. (or am i still not grasping the topic?)
Yeah, they're more tube-like, but a good 4" or so out from the glass. And only on the verticals. They look more like fins in that regard. Not sure which face exactly will get them, but probably the ones that extends upwards into the crown. They might have some east-west sun shading purpose too.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Not that its facing the wrong way but how Boston is oriented different than most other cities on a river. Boston is oriented towards the harbor, where most other cities on rivers are oriented towards the river. I was wondering what Boston would have looked like had they instead oriented it toward the charles. Would it be much different? Maybe, maybe not.... but probably yes. I imagine that instead of Boylston, Newbury, Stuart st etc running the long way towards downtown instead theyd run towards the Charles. With the same geography the city could have been much different.

I mean, I think the big difference is that our river has generally always been a recreational river rather than an industrial one like in most cities on a river.

I get why they can't, but I wish they could demolish the garage over Congress St as quickly as they are putting up the new building.

Back