State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

Nice picture! Couldn't care less about the new tenant.
Could you care less that this large new tower is fully occupied, meaning that there's proven demand for not just residential, but also office space in town and that those facts will likely serve as catalysts for more high-quality development? Presumably if you're on this aB you'd care about that shit.

I think the idea is that as someone who likes new buildings, you would care about Boston’s commercial RE market in that it’s health enables us to have new buildings

Could you care less that this large new tower is fully occupied, meaning that there's proven demand for not just residential, but also office space in town and that those facts will likely serve as catalysts for more high-quality development?

It's good that this is full, but how much space is InterSystems leaving behind in Kendall? Are any new jobs being added? Does a company moving from one building to another within the same urban area really indicate the health of our commercial real estate market?

It's good that this is full, but how much space is InterSystems leaving behind in Kendall? Are any new jobs being added? Does a company moving from one building to another within the same urban area really indicate the health of our commercial real estate market?

I agree these are good questions/concerns to raise, but I don't think the InterSystems example is the most pertinent one toward some of the critiques implicit in those good questions. Their Kendall building just got bought out for some exorbitant sum ($825million) and they're not carrying out this move to reduce space or downsize. And I doubt someone is paying $825m for a building and not planning to keep it highly utilized. These details are all upthread somewhere. Probably just a biotech takeover of their old space, so they are shifting to a space more conducive to pure office. If anything this might point to the fact that not all office-lab conversion corresponds with deletion of office demand; rather a portion that office demand endures or grows despite it and needs to find new office space to support itself.

EDIT: actually, according to this post, this move is an expansion of leased space from InterSystems. Their entire previous building, which they did not occupy all of, was 409,000 sq ft in total. Tough to know whether it's just a slight expansion or something more substantive, but it definitely appears to be on the additive rather than subtractive side in terms of impact on the office market.

Last edited:
54DC6BDB-3FBD-4220-B266-6A8183C06E87.jpeg
5CAC5626-7DAE-4CE2-B345-B2E060BD37D9.jpeg
D101B78C-5A06-4F2A-AEE3-970C7B398760.jpeg

I agree these are good questions/concerns to raise, but I don't think the InterSystems example is the most pertinent one toward some of the critiques implicit in those good questions. Their Kendall building just got bought out for some exorbitant sum ($825million) and they're not carrying out this move to reduce space or downsize. And I doubt someone is paying $825m for a building and not planning to keep it highly utilized. These details are all upthread somewhere. Probably just a biotech takeover of their old space, so they are shifting to a space more conducive to pure office. If anything this might point to the fact that not all office-lab conversion corresponds with deletion of office demand; rather a portion that office demand endures or grows despite it and needs to find new office space to support itself.

EDIT: actually, according to this post, this move is an expansion of leased space from InterSystems. Their entire previous building, which they did not occupy all of, was 409,000 sq ft in total. Tough to know whether it's just a slight expansion or something more substantive, but it definitely appears to be on the additive rather than subtractive side in terms of impact on the office market.
Didn't the Globe article say the move would double their HQ footprint and employee headcount? I agree with BigPicture - the building they're vacating will likely be re-occupied fairly quickly so to me this shows continued demand rather than just a simple move from one office to another.

why? every other element of this overall development has been top-notch and there have been no instances of taking the cheap/easy route with anything.

because the frame is a polygon and the building is rounded. It doesn't appear it will finish like many of the renders show, where it is also rounded.

The renders also show it to be white.. hopefully its not too bad but well see.

The renders also show it to be white.. hopefully its not too bad but well see.

the "trim" up the sides/pleat is white, too, so having a white mech. penthouse makes sense. i also don't really see that a non perfectly-smoothly-rounded MP would necessarily be a bad thing. a bit of contrast tends to work.

Let's see. It feels like VE to me.
the "trim" up the sides/pleat is white, too, so having a white mech. penthouse makes sense. i also don't really see that a non perfectly-smoothly-rounded MP would necessarily be a bad thing. a bit of contrast tends to work.

Back