State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

That netting on the garage over the road looks like theyre getting ready to start taking it down.

That netting on the garage over the road looks like theyre getting ready to start taking it down.

Not sure but there's some earlier documents from the planning and approval process that indicate Congress will be closed underneath the garage when the demolition of that part begins.

Has the demolition of the rest of the garage been postponed? I think it was supposed to start in Dec, but I'm guessing it was pushed back...

A comment and questions based on a recent pic from a follow member.

Do you think the core is taking up a disproportionately large percentage of the building's footprint?
Will the tower cantilever over the garage? The rendering seem to suggest that but it wasn't clear.
Interesting that the office trailer was constructed on the top of temp / makeshift bridge ... apparently due to lack of ground-level space.

1601386553022.png

Do you think the core is taking up a disproportionately large percentage of the building's footprint?
Will the tower cantilever over the garage? The rendering seem to suggest that but it wasn't clear.
Interesting that the office trailer was constructed on the top of temp / makeshift bridge ... apparently due to lack of ground-level space.

View attachment 7449

i think the building is going to be significantly bigger than we think it will be

View attachment 7449

I feel it's likely that core size is only that large for a portion of the height. I was over there again yesterday and you can clearly make out almost the entirety of floor plan and I can agree with your sentiment.

exciting stuff! ^^^ i wonder how much vertical action we'll get before the winter/cold weather pause-button.

Such a fun project to watch. Rarely get to see a thicc core like that so close to an existing structure.

I'm nothing but a fanboy of everything on here, and I love insight into everything people know on this vast forum.

Is there another US city was that has had such abstract engineering like Boston, in the past 30 years? Start with the Big D, currently we have this, SST, St Regis (which from everything I've watched for 18 months, has been no easy feat), parcel 12, etc. I've lived in NYC, Chicago, LA and London and their development seems easy in comparison, in all regards.

I don't understand the engineering but marvel at what's been done here. Projects like I mentioned could be easy and I'm just a moron, but its cool to me and I deeply appreciate those that are able to provide in-depth information of how it all works. I learn something daily on here and I really appreciate everyone that contributes knowledge.

I mean NYC absolutely has encountered some similar levels of complexity over the years. Some examples would be Hudson Yards, the new JP Morgan Chase building (270 Park Ave) that involves tearing down an older 700 foot tall skyscraper and then building a new 1300-1400 foot tower in the same location above the new East Side Access concourse and active Grand Central Terminal Tracks, One Vanderbilt which is also partially built over the Grand Central Terminal tracks, the new WTC station that involved constructing a concourse connecting 7 subways stops along Fulton Street and Cortland Street in Lower Manhattan. If any US city can claim to have a similar level of construction complexity to Boston it is NYC. Internationally cities often face very complex issues when constructing new buildings and infrastructure so the comparisons outside the US/North America aren't as interesting IMO. In the USA however the age of Boston and NYC as well as their location along large harbors and the massive amounts of landfill in Boston add complexity to projects as well as the extent of subterranean infrastructure. I would expect that Philly would experience similar challenges, but when reading about developments their they seem not to have had as many extreme challenges as NYC or Boston. Although the Schuylkill Yards air rights project would definitely be at the level of some of the projects in NYC and Boston.

I do agree with your overall observation that building in Boston often requires very difficult or complex engineering is accurate because of the history of landfill, the use of air rights, and the number of tunnels/other subterranean infrastructure. I just don't think cities like NYC or London have it easy in comparison. On the other hand LA and Chicago do seem to have an easier time because of differences in how and when things were built.

Its going to be weird to have a significant tower here for whatever reason. I'm really accustomed to the way the area used to be

I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. I am very enthused about the rendering but not sure how well this will fit in the immediate area. It may overwhelm the relatively small footprint and tight space. Will there be any meaningful streetscape?

I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. I am very enthused about the rendering but not sure how well this will fit in the immediate area. It may overwhelm the relatively small footprint and tight space. Will there be any meaningful streetscape?
I mean... like compared to what? The existing hulking parking garage?

I don't like snarkiness anymore than the next person but really... how could this worsen the pedestrian experience compared to what's already there?

I'm nothing but a fanboy of everything on here, and I love insight into everything people know on this vast forum.

Is there another US city was that has had such abstract engineering like Boston, in the past 30 years? Start with the Big D, currently we have this, SST, St Regis (which from everything I've watched for 18 months, has been no easy feat), parcel 12, etc. I've lived in NYC, Chicago, LA and London and their development seems easy in comparison, in all regards.

I don't understand the engineering but marvel at what's been done here. Projects like I mentioned could be easy and I'm just a moron, but its cool to me and I deeply appreciate those that are able to provide in-depth information of how it all works. I learn something daily on here and I really appreciate everyone that contributes knowledge.

I feel the same way! I don't have any expertise in construction or engineering, so it's always really interesting to hear from people on this forum who do.

I mean... like compared to what? The existing hulking parking garage?

I don't like snarkiness anymore than the next person but really... how could this worsen the pedestrian experience compared to what's already there?

Looking at the site rendering again, I see that a significant portion of the parking garage will be razed and Merrimac Street will be exposed. In short, I suspect the streetscape should be significantly better, in the long run.

Back