State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

In years past, the JHT and Pru has been the iconic towers in Boston that most tourist recognize. I have a feeling that this tower will be added to the list.
I'm not sure if this is isolated enough to be as iconic. Hancock and Pru are high contrast against the lower Back Bay. The Sudbury is so close and so different there's almost a sibling/twin effect. But who knows. It'll definitely be more distinctive than its neighbors, that's for sure.

It's the most prominent feature on the skyline for Sumner Tunnel-bound vehicles in East Boston, whether driving south on 1A from the North Shore or--more relevantly--everyone leaving Logan Airport. Although I haven't driven it recently, the same is likely true for US-1 southbound drivers crossing the Tobin, and a lot of northeast neighborhoods' view corridors of the skyline.

I agree with citydweller: 1 Congress is on track to become Boston's most identifiable landmark skyscraper, an accolade currently/previously held by the Prudential Tower, 200 Clarendon (nee Hancock Tower), the Berkeley Building (The Old John Hancock Building), and the Custom House Tower.

Amazingly designed building. I’m so excited to see it finished! And I agree, the glass is beautiful as well

This is how you do glass. Everything about this is emphasizing all of the strong points with a reflective surface like glass. The edges and long curving lines are going to play perfectly with the reflections. Everything that sucks about 100 plain glass boxes is absent here and they actually created something interesting in the underlying structure here to emphasize the strengths. That being said you dont want a lot of these, but you want a couple that are taller than the rest and at the forefront of the skyline. Glass shouldnt be filler, think Toronto, it should be used sparingly for emphasis. Then you use the materials with better R value for the bulk of the stock, but in a few key places its ok to splurge.

I think if I am estimating this right the position of the bottom of the counter-weight on the western-most crane is probably the peak height for this thing once the fins are installed.

From some of those river views above, I think this is going to look to be roughly the same size as MT (I know it's actually going to be shorter, just the perspective). What a difference that and the addition of Winthrop will be to that downtown view!

Peaking through from the southend
A932F066-0A0E-4616-BB30-807A3919CD34.jpeg

How fantastic to see an entire section (West End and Bullfinch Crossing) of downtown get its own skyline in a matter of 1.5/2 years. Boston as a city is "blessed" to have the economic boom we've had through out the pandemic and over the last decade. We are ever-increasingly punching above our weight 👊

How fantastic to see an entire section (West End and Bullfinch Crossing) of downtown get its own skyline in a matter of 1.5/2 years. Boston as a city is "blessed" to have the economic boom we've had through out the pandemic and over the last decade. We are ever-increasingly punching above our weight 👊
I’ve just started biking to work downtown. The view from the N. Washington bridge is completely transformed from just a few years ago. It’s spectacular and it shows just how much growth we can achieve without resorting to sprawl.

Forgot my polar lens filter was on, so I don't have great pictures of the progress in general, but there were some pretty sizeable lifts today for the parking garage operations. These things were flying up, and with any slight breeze, they got moved around pretty easily..

DSC_8104.JPG

Back