The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: One Seaport Square | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Not exactly a mom-and-pop, but as a local "microchain" this is great to see.

I wonder if this will serve as the (super)market rumored for One Seaport Square. Looks to have a similar selection of goods as Bees Knees over in the Fort Point

Cobean -- 14,500 sq ft. in total -- a bit small for a supermarket -- great for a local deli and restaurant

from the article in BBJ:
Tuscan Kitchen & Market will occupy a 14,500-square-foot space on the second floor of One Seaport Square. A 320-seat restaurant will serve regional Italian cuisine such as wood-roasted caponata, thin-crust pizza and tagliatelle, while an adjacent market will include a cafe and pasticceria with grab & go items including cheeses, fresh bread, pasta and gelato.

I really hope it isnt a substitute for a real supermarket, but having a specialty market in the area is a very nice thing to have around in a developing neighborhood.

I really hope it isnt a substitute for a real supermarket, but having a specialty market in the area is a very nice thing to have around in a developing neighborhood.

We've already got one right across Seaport: Bee's Knees on Farnsworth.

We need a real supermarket here. Not sure why none of the developers are interested in doing a Stop & Shop/Star Market/Wegmans. A Trader Joe's would help but wouldn't fully satisfy the need.

We need a real supermarket here. Not sure why none of the developers are interested in doing a Stop & Shop/Star Market/Wegmans. A Trader Joe's would help but wouldn't fully satisfy the need.

Waterside place would be perfect for a Trader Joe's!

Because no one actually lives there... yet. And I don't think it is the developers who aren't interested, I think it is the retailers.

It is always dangerous to talk about population densities in small areas, but the Seaport has something like 2000 residents in 1 square mile. That falls far short of any standard of urban density.

A) That density doesn't justify a walkable grocery store

B) The Seaport is adjacent to dense neighborhoods with plenty of grocery stores.

It will get one eventually. Kendall Square is in the same boat. It currently has few residents and is adjacent to grocery-rich neighborhoods. Hence not enough demand to justify a store. With thousands of residences under construction in Kendall proper, we have finally heard of one proposal for a grocery store there. Seaport will follow the same pattern, but the residences have to actually be under construction and not just footnotes on paper before you see a grocer sign a lease.

Because no one actually lives there... yet. And I don't think it is the developers who aren't interested, I think it is the retailers.

It is always dangerous to talk about population densities in small areas, but the Seaport has something like 2000 residents in 1 square mile. That falls far short of any standard of urban density.

A) That density doesn't justify a walkable grocery store

B) The Seaport is adjacent to dense neighborhoods with plenty of grocery stores.

It will get one eventually. Kendall Square is in the same boat. It currently has few residents and is adjacent to grocery-rich neighborhoods. Hence not enough demand to justify a store. With thousands of residences under construction in Kendall proper, we have finally heard of one proposal for a grocery store there. Seaport will follow the same pattern, but the residences have to actually be under construction and not just footnotes on paper before you see a grocer sign a lease.

Fair argument - makes sense. On that note... South Boston's Stop & Shop is the bane of all residents' existences, or so I hear... You'd think if there was a solid Seaport grocery store that some of them may make their way over here. Or maybe someone will open one near Broadway...

Fair argument - makes sense. On that note... South Boston's Stop & Shop is the bane of all residents' existences, or so I hear... You'd think if there was a solid Seaport grocery store that some of them may make their way over here. Or maybe someone will open one near Broadway...

Foodies is on West Broadway and is actually pretty nice. Small, but does the trick for the most part. A grocery store has been mentioned as part of the proposed Andrew Square mega-development as well.

Foodies is on West Broadway and is actually pretty nice. Small, but does the trick for the most part. A grocery store has been mentioned as part of the proposed Andrew Square mega-development as well.

Whole Foods Ink Block is really pretty close, too.

There's already a neighborhood market and deli in Seaport - J. Pace & Son in Park Lane.
Although this one looks to be bigger.

We've already got one right across Seaport: Bee's Knees on Farnsworth.

I gotta say that Bee's Knees is a terrible attempt to be a speciality market. Their hours are awful and geared toward office workers and their "market" consists of sparse pre-made food, chips, pasta and frozen goods. It's a lunch time sandwich shop masquerading as a market and half the space has been converted to a separate package store. It's such a massive disappointment that I'd rather it close or get bought out and someone just starts over with the space. We literally live next door but routinely shake our heads and laugh when we walk by, get in the car and drive to Foodie's or WF South End. Sorry to derail thread, I just can't resist a rant about this waste of space.

Fort Point Market on Congress carries more food, toiletries and other disposable home goods. It's cheaper and 100% better as a neighborhood market.

I gotta say that Bee's Knees is a terrible attempt to be a speciality market. Their hours are awful and geared toward office workers and their "market" consists of sparse pre-made food, chips, pasta and frozen goods. It's a lunch time sandwich shop masquerading as a market and half the space has been converted to a separate package store. It's such a massive disappointment that I'd rather it close or get bought out and someone just starts over with the space. We literally live next door but routinely shake our heads and laugh when we walk by, get in the car and drive to Foodie's or WF South End. Sorry to derail thread, I just can't resist a rant about this waste of space.

Fort Point Market on Congress carries more food, toiletries and other disposable home goods. It's cheaper and 100% better as a neighborhood market.

I agree. It's a shame but also seems like the owners have given up on the Fort Point location, and are focusing all of their energy into their new Alston location which doubles as a restaurant (smart).

This neighborhood isn't that far away from Roche Bros in DTX. That's not an unreasonable distance...

This neighborhood isn't that far away from Roche Bros in DTX. That's not an unreasonable distance...

Really depends where in the Seaport. Seaport Square; sure, although it doesn't feel close-by. Anywhere further east is getting far from DTX.

Back