The Boulevard (née The Times/Littlest Bar) | 110 Broad St | Downtown

The hole is like Downtown's mini-Filenes!

i'm done crying – but, i want a bar there! It's gonna be dramatic.

and people will be singing and dancing when the new, lovely midrise emerges!

164.jpg

What old Atlantic Ave looked like circa 1942. The HARBOR BLDG was at 470 [Old} Atlantic.

That Gulf station on the right was in business until about 1970. Giant multistory painted Gulf sign on the entire side wall. Dramatically lit at night. It got blitzed for the Federal Reserve Bank.

That Gulf station on the right was in business until about 1970. Giant multistory painted Gulf sign on the entire side wall. Dramatically lit at night. It got blitzed for the Federal Reserve Bank.

I just realized that all those posts in the road in the 1942 image were the remainder of the Atlantic Avenue El, which had just been torn down to use as war scrap steel. Wierd they initially left the vertical posts.

Only two original, or somewhat original walls, remained of he Littlest Bar, the Bulfinch-designed building. The north wall looks to have been chopped off, perhaps when they cleared land for the Central Artery. The east wall was lost when any surviving parts became incorporated into a common wall with the building next door, which was constructed after the Bulfinch designed building.

5517494562_eebedf310d.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-07-19-at-8.11.56-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2016-07-19-at-8.30.13-AM.png

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2013/06...EaJXoNPAZ1wErR2iv18fDP/story.html?pic=6#share
^^^ See link for photo of rear of Littlest Bar building as Central Artery demolition is underway.

164.jpg

What old Atlantic Ave looked like circa 1942. The HARBOR BLDG was at 470 [Old} Atlantic.

Fantastic post. Thanks Jeff for drawing attention to this one, which I missed. I am quoting in full.

i would have loved to see an elevator garage here.

are we getting an elevator garage here? :)

update;

went for the refresher from the op; that'll be great!

From the PNF:

The Project will include approximately 35 parking spaces in a below grade, automated garage. The residential units will be a variety of sizes, including one bedroom, two bedroom and three bedroom units. Secure bicycle storage for residents (one per residential unit) will be included within the building.

Anyone know how close the foundation is to the Oneill tunnel wall?

I'm guessing "pretty darn close"

Up thread someone inquired about large storage tanks that were on site for much of the excavation process. No one ever answered and I don't know, but my hunch was they were used in some capacity due to the very constrained site in close proximity to the artery tunnels. Could they have been used for freezing soil below grade??

^ I believe someone answered that they were slurry tanks for the slurry wall construction.

The slurry wall technique involves building the retaining foundational walls first before you excavate the soil from the middle of the basement volume.

The technique works by incrementally filling the dug retaining/foundation wall trench with a superdense fluid that prevents the soil from collapsing into the wall trench while the wall trench is being dug. Concrete is then pumped into the dug trench, displacing the slurry fluid and forming the wall, whilst the slurry fluid is recovered.

This one's ready to start rising

36838347146_72556e8c08_b.jpg

37026460035_301d5d29d9_b.jpg

My first time seeing this condition... so vexing

36838334206_9f6df1b00e_b.jpg

That would be nice but my bet is, it'll start 'round about when the Parcel 9 hotel gets underway .. meaning never?

Awesome. Thanks for posting all the great pics today.

i wonder if 55 India is to kick off at some point based on the progress of 110 Broad.

Reading this thread is masochistic, but I appreciate the updates.

Back