The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does. Go back to page 66 for jass' photos of the base.

today from backbay
038-5.jpg
035-4.jpg

Is it just me, or is the blue waterproofing membrane at the crown still visible behind the recently installed white louvers?

^^ Now go back and look at palindrome's post on page 70.

That is the restaurant.

Perhaps they could have just built the highrise Clarendon next to the post office and renovated the post office. Although it may have been more cost effective to demolish and start from scratch, I'm not sure they gained any extra space by demolishing the post office.

I used to have a PO box in the relocated office on St. James. One day while I was checking my mail a customer asked an employee if they were sorry to see the old place torn down.

"No. Full of rats and asbestos." was the reply.

They went on to explain that the general consensus among the staff was that no one missed the old building one bit.

I used to have a PO box in the relocated office on St. James. One day while I was checking my mail a customer asked an employee if they were sorry to see the old place torn down.

"No. Full of rats and asbestos." was the reply.

They went on to explain that the general consensus among the staff was that no one missed the old building one bit.

If "staff consensus" is the best way to determine the value of a structure, should we then tear down Govt. Center and The Hurley Building?

I can independently confirm it includes a replacement post office.

If "staff consensus" is the best way to determine the value of a structure, should we then tear down Govt. Center and The Hurley Building?

No but they probably know more about the building than most of us.

Thank you, John.

Can anyone say where the entrance is?

I'm having a hard time locating the entrance. It looks like it is accessible thru an elevator lobby on the first floor, but how you get there is a mystery. The post office occupies the rear right corner of the first floor. The PO also occupies about 2/3 of the 2nd floor.

There is a restaurant on the left hand side of the first floor (when viewed from the front entrance.) It has it's own entrance. There is a restaurant on the level above this as well in the same location. Not sure if it's a 2 floor rest. or 2 separate ones.

By the looks of these floor plans I have a hard time telling what is going on with the USPS portion. I'm guessing it is being fit-out under a separate contract. Just a shell on these.

The USPS is considering closing 3200 post offices. Why would they put a new post office in the Clarendon when there's one a block and a half away?

The USPS is considering closing 3200 post offices. Why would they put a new post office in the Clarendon when there's one a block and a half away?

Well at the very least they could then turn around and sell the lease. 3200 Post Offices is a lot of real estate.

BTW...went to Post last night. I liked it a lot. It was fairly full and both floors had a lot of activity. It will make for a great winter gathering spot.

The post office on Arlington is the relocated post office from before when it was on Stuart Street. That branch would close and go back to Stuart Street which is great because it's more central to the 02116 ZIP Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back