The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

^They couldn't fit one on the sidewalk? They should amend the bridge design then to make it fan out more.
HOWEVER: it's not the end of the world. The cycle route that's more important is the bridge over the Charles and over the tracks on the south side, AND a cycle track on Lomasney Way. It's ridiculous that they rebuilt the useless median strip and threw on a useless bike lane that dead ends before the Avalon. Fix that stuff and youve got your bike route to CTown.

Yea the second floor of the garden opens up to the escalators between the podiums allowing a new entrance from Causeway, but the original question was from floor 3 up is that glass open to the garden or is it a passage between podiums. I had originally thought you were seeing into the garden in the renders, but seeing the steel go up it looks like a passage between both podiums with glass looking down to the floor below.

I took the tour this summer; the third floor is the ice level with dressing rooms and mechanical, so they wouldn't want windows there. The fourth floor is the main concourse for we plebeians, but I'm not sure how high up it actually is. 5 and 6 are premium seating floors which might or might not have restaurants on that wall, and we know that anything above those (7-9) will be above the podium regardless. So my guess is that POSSIBLY there could be windows from Garden Level 4, but that's it and it might look weird since 3 wouldn't have them.

So I think that means that its just a passageway between podiums. Not bad, it'll be pretty cool for them to be able to look down to the concourse below.

Theres only 2 floors left on both podiums so these are almost topped out and then the facade goes up and Causeway is re-knit. With the Merano and the other 2 next door having gone up, along with the cycle track, removal of bollards, and repaving of causeway, plus making the streets leading to causeway right turn only this area has been transformed. There is finally a continuous street wall and the road is in great condition. At least with regards to Causeway the area is almost finished at street level and I couldn't have asked for more. I used to make it a point to avoid this street because it was in such bad condition and such a mess, but they really have transformed it into something nice. I cant wait for the podium facades to start going up it shouldn't be long now.

Take a look at what used to be here not so long ago:

green23.jpg

vs this:

012716thehuboncauseway006.jpg

Then what we have to look forward to in the short term is plenty good enough for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Working on this block for 3 years in between college, i sort of liked the darkness in the wee hours after the Celtics deep playoff runs concluded. Safety wasn't a concern. The area was nearly lifeless, save for a few patrons at Halftime Pizza.... I had lots of fun carving around on my skateboard between slamming pans and packing bread at 3:00am. Lots of power slides on the glassy tarmac.

What will happen to the Hub on Causway when the TD Garden hits the end of its lifespan? As we all know, sports arenas don’t last forever but the Hub on Causway will, so in 20 years or so how will they detach the Hub from the garden? The addition for the garden seems very much connected to the Hub on Causeway so I don’t see how they could detach it.

Hell Fenway still exists. It depends on how the structure was built and how it is maintained afterwards. The garden just had a major renovation so I would expect it has a while left.

I was wondering the same thing myself. The arena was built in 1995, but apparently it's modern construction which gives it a much longer usable life that the original Garden. They did just renovate the concourses, but the interior part of the arena will need work somewhat soon.

The seats are aging - an easy fix - and the concrete probably could use some cleanup work. Most of the work they'll need to do it probably more cosmetic.

MSG is only an awesome arena because they just had a $1 billion renovation. It was only economical because it would have cost $5 billion to rebuild elsewhere due to it’s location in Manhattan. In Boston, if an arena was in dire need of renovations that great, it would make much more sense to rebuilt than to renovate at that price point. Fenway has received hundreds of millions of dollars worth of renovations because its iconic. If the old garden wasn’t iconic enough to save, then the new one certainly isn’t either. Yes, they just did major renovations to the Garden and more renovations are coming in 2019, according to the Boston Globe, such as "a new scoreboard and sound system inside the rink. The entire south wall will be glass. Concourses will expand on Floors 7 and 8. Officials are considering standing room on the eighth floor." They even added a 3,000 square foot video board to the north side of the building. Even with these additions, the Garden won’t be around forever, but with condominiums going up, the hub on causeway will surely outlive the Garden so some kind of plan must be in place to separate them when that day comes. Any ideas?

^Your first statement validates my point, that it is possible.

Boston is a very expensive city as well. Certainly not Manhattan levels, but if they want to keep the Celtics in the city I don't think it would be very easy for them to move to a different location.

They just renovated the Garden and the state and city arent going to be dumb like other places and give the pro teams any money. Therefore none of the pro teams have any big incentive to move they will most likely just keep renovating their existing stadiums. This is most likely a pointless conversation the garden isnt going anywhere for 30+ years

Yes, they could renovate the Garden and they probably will, but I'd argue that the biggest asset by fare is being right on top of North Station. I can't imagine the developers didn't account for the potential that the Garden may not be there at some point (maybe even before all phases are built out). I think having the Garden there is great for marketing (especially the retail and hotel) and they hope it's there long-term; but I don't think it's vital to the long-term success of the project the way N.Station is.

Anyone have update about the construcion project that's (ostensibly) underway?

btw: 96F at the beach yesterday. The Bu slightly cooler. :)

Yes, they could renovate the Garden and they probably will, but I'd argue that the biggest asset by fare is being right on top of North Station. I can't imagine the developers didn't account for the potential that the Garden may not be there at some point (maybe even before all phases are built out). I think having the Garden there is great for marketing (especially the retail and hotel) and they hope it's there long-term; but I don't think it's vital to the long-term success of the project the way N.Station is.

They JUST renovated it last year, not maybe they will. Its already been done

They just renovated the Garden and the state and city arent going to be dumb like other places and give the pro teams any money. Therefore none of the pro teams have any big incentive to move they will most likely just keep renovating their existing stadiums. This is most likely a pointless conversation the garden isnt going anywhere for 30+ years

Actually, the point of the conversation IS what happens in 30+ years.....

I'm sure they can figure out a way to eventually rehab/replace the existing Garden while preserving the new adjacent buildings. Hell, they threaded the Central Artery tunnel underneath the old elevated Central Artery. This would be easy compared to that accomplishment.

Back