The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I hadn't been using it in a long time. I got back on it last night and found a bunch of my old stuff and got it to work and could see everything and they all were showing on the site when I posted them. Now I look today and they're all gone again. Gotta love a website that has a ton of your old stuff and just ruins all of it. Sorry about that they were showing up here when I posted them theres absolutely 0 reason why from then until now they would go away but thats what happens with a piece of ass garbage website. I hadn't posted anything new there it was old things I found that I was posting here. Never again they can suck it.

You have a point, I should've made mine better. Stop worrying about 30+ years down the road its pointless minutiae!

Which was sort of my point. The location on a transit hub is infinitely more important to this development than what happens with the Garden (now or down the road).

What will happen to the Hub on Causway when the TD Garden hits the end of its lifespan? As we all know, sports arenas don’t last forever but the Hub on Causway will, so in 20 years or so how will they detach the Hub from the garden? The addition for the garden seems very much connected to the Hub on Causeway so I don’t see how they could detach it.

With careful planning, could the Garden be replaced in its current location? Obviously that means the Bruins and Celts would be displaced for 2 seasons but maybe between the DCU Center, Dunkin Donuts Center and Agganis (too small?) perhaps they could figure it out. But I think the Garden is fine for at least the next 15-20 years. They just put a ton of money into the concourses and I think it came out nice.

With careful planning, could the Garden be replaced in its current location? Obviously that means the Bruins and Celts would be displaced for 2 seasons but maybe between the DCU Center, Dunkin Donuts Center and Agganis (too small?) perhaps they could figure it out. But I think the Garden is fine for at least the next 15-20 years. They just put a ton of money into the concourses and I think it came out nice.

SNHU Arena in Manchester would work too. Maybe a split between those 4.

As long as the concrete shell is structurally sound, they could play there indefinitely. It's not at all impossible to perform transformative renovations on an existing NBA/NHL arena while the teams continue to play there. Besides MSG, Vivint Arena in SLC and the Target Center in Minneapolis just reopened and significant work has been proposed at The Q in Cleveland and Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, among others.

Arenas only get replaced every 30 years when owners want to jack up the value of their franchise at taxpayer expense. Boston and MA will never give Jacobs money, and he knows it, so he'll stick with what he has, especially since he needs to keep the value of his new entertainment district next door.

As long as the concrete shell is structurally sound, they could play there indefinitely. It's not at all impossible to perform transformative renovations on an existing NBA/NHL arena while the teams continue to play there. Besides MSG, Vivint Arena in SLC and the Target Center in Minneapolis just reopened and significant work has been proposed at The Q in Cleveland and Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, among others.

Arenas only get replaced every 30 years when owners want to jack up the value of their franchise at taxpayer expense. Boston and MA will never give Jacobs money, and he knows it, so he'll stick with what he has, especially since he needs to keep the value of his new entertainment district next door.

Exactly its all about maintenance. The structure itself is not exposed to weather or the elements like an outdoor stadium for example and were not prone to earthquakes or hurricanes so it can really stay up as long as they want as long as they maintain it and stay current on scheduled repairs. Its a steel structure as stated; Madison Square is much older, but also look at Fenway, Wrigley, Oracle Arena in Oakland was built in 1966, we have plenty of life left. Most NBA/NHL stadiums were rebuilt in the 1990's for some reason but that left us with modern structural methods/techniques that really can just be updated as the Garden has to look fresher and modern every 20 or so years and like Madison Square can be overhauled without much effect on games or scheduling. As an absolute last resort as someone stated we have multiple stadiums within a fairly close range that could be used in emergency situations but I don't see that being necessary as they can overhaul it without much effect. I see the Garden being around for a very long time, its on prime real estate and its becoming a piece of the fabric of the neighborhood, without many other options to put a new stadium elsewhere I don't see them moving from this spot either but thats a long ways away when that discussion is even had.

NorthEndWaterfront-2015-11-09-at-6.22.17-PM.jpg

Both podiums are actually very close to being topped out. Should see the facade start going up shortly. Cant wait to see how it all turns out.

I think what's not being taken into account is that at any other arena in the country, this project would be considered a major expansion/renovation of the arena itself rather than something adjacent. Is there really anything else like this?

I think what's not being taken into account is that at any other arena in the country, this project would be considered a major expansion/renovation of the arena itself rather than something adjacent. Is there really anything else like this?

Yes.

Gallery Place, DC

ISqdrfpn5shfua0000000000.jpg

Also O2 Arena and Manchester Arena in the UK.

The Staples Center / LA Live & Convention Center is a lot like this.

Was speaking specifically of the US, and though they share some similarities I don't agree with any of these examples. Other than the Dome (which is its own weird unique thing), these are all distinct detached buildings.

Was speaking specifically of the US, and though they share some similarities I don't agree with any of these examples. Other than the Dome (which is its own weird unique thing), these are all distinct detached buildings.

So is H on C. It's wall-to-wall with the arena, but they're fully detached except for the door in the middle.

From August:
I personally don't think we will see [the North Station CR to OL/GL Subway connector] open prior to the rest of the podium, which last I heard was slated to be delivered in Q4 2018. Perhaps it will open slightly before?

On Nov 12th, we noticed that they were building new ticket windows, which, I'd hope, is prelude to freeing up space in which to build the subway connection.

While it almost seems too much to ask to put the needs of daily commuters higher, at some point won't construction deliveries get easier if they don't have all those CR-to-Subway commuters crossing Causeway each rush hour?

There is a new indoor connection to green being built in the right (office tower) podium on the ground floor level that you enter from inside North Station if I remember that part correctly. Not sure about Orange though but Id imagine thats included as well, but I know green is for sure.

There is a new indoor connection to green being built in the right (office tower) podium on the ground floor level that you enter from inside North Station if I remember that part correctly. Not sure about Orange though but Id imagine thats included as well, but I know green is for sure.

Must connect to both, because Green and Orange are fully interconnected inside the fare gates at North Station.

When you say "being built" do you mean "that we've seen in building plans" or "that is now actually under construction"?

Here's the picture BeeLine supplied on November 12th: I'd hope that the reason the new ticket windows are being built (on the right, where the TVMs and shoeshine were), is because the old ticket windows will be demolished and the new OL/GL Subway connection will start where the to-be-demolished ticket windows were (on the left, viewed from the CR platforms):
https://flic.kr/p/DhLXeL

When you say "being built" do you mean "that we've seen in building plans" or "that is now actually under construction"?

Here's the picture BeeLine supplied on November 12th: I'd hope that the reason the new ticket windows are being built (on the right, where the TVMs and shoeshine were), is because the old ticket windows will be demolished and the new OL/GL Subway connection will start where the to-be-demolished ticket windows were (on the left, viewed from the CR platforms):
https://flic.kr/p/DhLXeL

See below. The MBTA OL/GL Subway connection will be to the right of where it says "PREMIUM LOBBY" in the photo. The ticket window work is probably more to do with the new Canal Street plaza entrance that'll open into North Station (if I had to guess).

Here's the site plan for reference.
05-HubCauseway_Office.jpg

"A covered, underground connection from the commuter rail to the subway at North Station"
Right, we know it is part of the project's approved design (which is a big deal, and the fruit of specific advocacy, since early plans showed only an outdoor connection. I don't want my impatience (below) to minimize my gratitude to those who worked to ensure its inclusion)

But at this point, my question is (1) are we seeing any progress on the connector--specifically, is the ticket-window move actually "connector progress" and (2) will it be opened before, contemporaneously, or after the towers.

My hope "before" the towers?

EDIT: thanks, dshoost88, for the inclusion of the plan showing the subway entrance to the right of the Premium Lobby. Now I'd hope that maybe the Premium Lobby and the Subway connector would, together, have some sort of bundling as "the first thing that opens" (say, mid 2018, instead of waiting for the "whole thing" to open in late 2018)

Back