The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

It looks like they are now forming the 8th floor of the steel core for the office portion. However, I noticed on the webcam that at least 1 piece of steel is sticking far above the 8th floor. Is it possible that this means they plan to just continue onward with the office tower? Otherwise, are we really supposed to have a completed base with random steel beams extending out of the top of it?

https://app.oxblue.com/open/BostonProperties/BostonRegion

It looks like they are now forming the 8th floor of the steel core for the office portion. However, I noticed on the webcam that at least 1 piece of steel is sticking far above the 8th floor. Is it possible that this means they plan to just continue onward with the office tower? Otherwise, are we really supposed to have a completed base with random steel beams extending out of the top of it?

https://app.oxblue.com/open/BostonProperties/BostonRegion

Noticed the same exact thing....that vertical beam is definitely higher than the full podium level as depicted in the renderings.

Their last public statement indicated they're steadfast on securing a tenant first.....

Q: btw, who would risk building 19 stories at a transit hub in one of the 5 hottest office/lab markets in the country besides the thrifty owners of your Boston Bruins?

A: Everybody

The owners of the Boston Bruins have nothing to do with whether they build the office tower now. That decision is in the hands of Boston Properties which controls development of the site.

A related question: Looking at the webcam we see that the residential core reached its current state on September 7. Am I to understand that the podium will have a half-finished core sticking out of the top of it until they decide to move forward with the residential tower, or is the intention to continue with the residential part soon after the podium is complete?

My apologies if this has already been discussed.

EDIT: Just saw my answer in post 2045. Sorry for the noise.

these were posted in the Aerials thread, credit user Mike...

http://lesvants.com/stock/BOSTON/Boston_2017/Boston_12-2017/index.htm

12-17-17_boston-stock_7210-112%20copy.jpg

12-17-17_boston-stock_7210-109%20copy.jpg

12-17-17_boston-stock_7210-106%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
The O’Neal building should move to the new tower so that gets built then redeveloped that entire site

Can someone remind me how such a prime spot sat empty for so long

Great shots. I wonder if they were taken on a weekend. Why is that huge parking lot (old Spaulding Rehab site?) so empty? Is there construction going on it that building and it's not open? Any chance of development with that (patient?) parking moved underground?

Can someone remind me how such a prime spot sat empty for so long

Thank god it did. Boston just learned how to build for the future within the last couple years. Imagine if this was filled in in the 90s it would have been a big shopping mall with 1 entrance.

-On a side note the last aerial picture posted above is amazing. Im not sure the exact year the central artery was built but with the merano, victor, hub on causeway... the area has not been that densely built and woven together in what 70 years? Incredible.

How long until the ridiculous highway ramps/bridge are taken down?

Those photos also show that there's at least 2, possibly 4 Avalon North Station sized parcels of surface parking to build on north of the station.

How long until the ridiculous highway ramps/bridge are taken down?

The Storrow & Tobin ramp loops are definitely here to stay. We're just gonna have to build around them. Could also go all-out-Japan-ramp-through-building style.

http://lesvants.com/stock/BOSTON/Boston_2017/Boston_12-2017/index.htm

12-17-17_boston-stock_7210-109%20copy.jpg

The O’Neal building should move to the new tower so that gets built then redeveloped that entire site

That photo demonstrates the room to go very tall at the south end of the building perhaps better than anything ever seen! No wonder someone immediately posts about redeveloping this block!

A proposal to build 780' there would be really obnoxious!

You mean north in the parking lots? They have to finish the NS track expansion first, but I can definitely see these parcels being developed in the future. I posted about this in the whats left to build on thread like a year ago.

On another note this is some serious density. Especially seeing where it came from. Incredible transformation.

12-17-17_boston-stock_7210-106%20copy.jpg

Top part of the 'L' in the 'sample' watermark.... southwest side of the low section of the O'Neill Fed Bldg. Put something similar to 1 Bromfield there.

Last edited:
Great shots. I wonder if they were taken on a weekend. Why is that huge parking lot (old Spaulding Rehab site?) so empty? Is there construction going on it that building and it's not open? Any chance of development with that (patient?) parking moved underground?

I know posters at railroad.net have expressed hope over the years that NS platforms 11/12 could be reopened, but I think they would have to tear down the Spaulding building to make it work (too tight an angle to branch off the 9/10 line).

Back