The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

^^It sounds like the 200-seat 'attached' restaurant is independent of the concert venue capacity. I'd think 'audience of about 1,500' + performers and staff would merit a 2,000-person capacity estimate.

1,500 customers and 500 staff and performers? Seems like a lot of staff. Never been to a venue that size with a 3:1 customer/staff ratio or anything remotely close. Unless they have no plans to ever fill it to capacity the numbers still don't make a lot of sense to me.

The capacity numbers could be fire code/building inspector #s. For example, a lounge at Logan might have 200 seats (functional or design capacity), but the fire marshal or other AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) may determine the max capacity to be 300 based on square footage/person.

Verizon Announces Plans for Technology-Based Workspace at Boston's The Hub on Causeway

New pics w/ Verizon branding:
2-verizon-building-image-644x362.jpg

1-verizon-building-image-644x362.jpg

This building is an embarrassment. Its really the only way to describe it. All parties should be ashamed and I put the city near the top of the list for allowing it.

This and when the Radian building came correct with an inspired design and the city said it "took away" from the Greenway. Just flat out embarrassing really and this is right up there next to it

Interesting that they are going with Verizon branding and not Oath

This building is an embarrassment. Its really the only way to describe it. All parties should be ashamed and I put the city near the top of the list for allowing it.

Yes, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the other renders leading up to this. All i mean is: we have evidence it could have been even worse.

It's not the most attractive thing ever but it does have a bit of welcome Tokyo-ish eccentricity to it.

Surprised Verizon would want to put their name all over that building... Still not over it....

Doesn't Boston have some sort of rule against corporate logos? Obviously a couple were able to get through, namely Prudential and State Street, but I thought for the most part this isn't allowed here.

^It's a policy (not even written policy), and the BPDA administers it. The Pru and State Street pre-dated the policy I believe. All decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Company has to take majority of the building, company or division has to be headquartered in the building. Lots of examples recently. Vertex, Goodwin, Converse, Reebok, etc.

Are there, or have there been any projects in the last 6 years that people on these forums actually like?

Are there, or have there been any projects in the last 6 years that people on these forums actually like?

I haven't heard much hate for One Dalton, Lovejoy Wharf, Eschelon, Quaker Lane, and One Congress, among others. I think I'm the only one who doesn't love Millennium Tower. That said, I see your point.

+ Regardless of what anyone thinks of this building it is extremely unique for Boston.

+ We get another building with some good lighting and in this case great coordination with their surroundings for an awesome gateway and vibrancy.

+ Another building in the 500 club.. I think..?

- this building does a great job of looking like a turd.
- /+we'll always think what could have been but the people who don't read this forum won't know.
-/+ I actually like the corporate logo and think Boston needs more of them. We should be proud(mostly) with the big companies that want to invest here.- but that's just me.

I like this project. But I tend to focus more on urbanism and development than architecture.

+1 to FitchburgLine's remark.

Other than Hub on Causeway, I'm a big fan of the following projects from the last 6 years:
Envoy
One Seaport Square (Benjamin & Via)
Liberty Mutual Tower
Van Ness
Pierce
345 Harrison
360 Longwood
East Boston Branch Library
Boston Public Library Main Branch (renovation)
Northeastern University Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building
Gardner Museum - Renzo Piano addition
Boston University School of Law Renovation
Harvard University Tata Hall
Kennedy Institute

Back