The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

It looks like tunnels I’ve seen all over the New York or London systems. They will put up some ads and a zillion people a day will traverse the whole thing in 30 seconds or so without really looking at the ads, the tunnel, or anything in particular.

I will pile on with everyone wondering why it isn’t bigger. Maybe there is an unavoidable choke point and there was no point making the rest of the tunnel bigger.

It says in the globe article its the size it is because its squeezed in between the ol and gl subway tunnels then it comes up between them at the end of the platform. Were only noticing this because its new. Theres clausterphobic tunnels all over the city were just used to them. It looks worse because the walls are blank. Once theres ads, route maps, you are here...etc it will look fine. Delaware north? and the mbta went 50/50 on paying for this as a way to improve access for everyone they technically didnt have to. This is much better than crossing the st. Its not going to be that long it just gets you across the street, its a huge upgrade and nobodys going to notice anything about it a week after it opens. Theres things way worse than this all over Boston theyre just old. Lets appreciate that ns is now connected to the ol and gl station directly. The entrance in the hub is inside of north station.

Thanks for describing supply/demand and competition for me fattony like I'm a child, I didnt understand that before you came around.

Wow, issues much?

Fattony's post was with respect. Yours wasn't.

To the point, I would also add in that bodegas have far lower rents than downtown supermarkets, so the capacity for greater disposable income and spending of the customers in a high rent property is vital.

Breathe. It's ok.

It says in the globe article its the size it is because its squeezed in between the ol and gl subway tunnels then it comes up between them at the end of the platform.

I don' think that's quite right (i.e. that's not quite what the globe says, and also what the Globe says doesn't seem quite exactly right).

Recall that the subway part of the station has the fare lobby and outbound GR on one level, and then inbound GR and both OR tracks on a lower level.

This ped tunnel connects into the fare lobby. My best guess is that it is squeezed between the OB GL track and the walls for the ramp to the parking garage.

It is a level above both OR tracks and the IB GL.

And yes, it's good enough (assuming, as I very am willing to do, that the relevant professionals have done all the standard analyses to show that it is crowd-safe). The crowds here will be almost all one-directional anyway.

not dissimilar to a Penn Station area subway connector pathway.

It's like everyone here forgot how lousy the old tunnel from the Garden side headhouse to the fare gates was.

The peristent leaks, the stacks of newspapers that were left to become soggy messes. The industrial fans outside the T booth that always got in the way of crowds trying to get around the vending machines.

This is nothing more than version 2.0 of that, refreshed and hopefully a bit more watertight.

This thing has an imposing, almost Met-Life level presence in the area. That'll be mitigated as the glass rises and softens the facade a bit, and it'll be mitigated even more so as other towers rise around it. But for now, it has a pretty neat impact on the area from a visual standpoint. I love it as a hulking focal point at the end of the largely brick/stone canals of the Bullfinch Triangle's streets. The combination has a gritty feel about it, something that most of these new developments don't have. Again, the glass will soften it up, but I really enjoy looking at this right now.

The juxtaposition of the new skyscrapers with the dense older streets is really expanding the "downtown" feel to the North Station area. It used to kind of end at Government Center, and feel more patchwork to the north. The Congress Street complex will help join this area back to the financial district and the whole downtown will feel much larger and more connected. This is just the beginning really, and more opportunities abound for additional development near North Station.

Here's what Bruins season ticket holders were emailed this morning:

https://www.tdgarden.com/news/detail/legendary/

Couldn't find anything on Boston Planning & Redevelopment's website about these latest changes.

Not really changes. The TD Garden renovations are on-going parts of Phase I/II. This was all planned. This just details what the renovations will actually be, new clubs, bars, entries, etc.

Here's what Bruins season ticket holders were emailed this morning:

https://www.tdgarden.com/news/detail/legendary/

Couldn't find anything on Boston Planning & Redevelopment's website about these latest changes.

I don't think they're anything different from the project at large. Just details and branding.

The street-level upward look at their 3D model is wonderful. The Verizon tower doesn't actually look too terrible from there...

This is all very interesting - I didn't realize the Hub project would be breaking into the Garden itself and allowing so nice expansion.

As I may have stated earlier, this tower will never look more interesting than it does now.

Absolutely. One of the things I've enjoyed about this one is that the concrete skeleton has risen much faster than the glass has. We haven't really seen that with Millennium or 1 Dalton where the glass has often only been a handful of floors beneath the highest completed level. It's definitely not going to be as visually appealing once that glass starts climbing higher. I'll still count the activated streetwall along Causeway to be a win though.

It's always bothered me that this tower has inspired such revulsion in some folks. I think it's a modern classic.

I've always really liked it. I didn't even realize people hated it so much until I started reading/participating in blogs like this one.

Back