The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

As a whole, the project really is impressive from the street. Something I hadn't grasped from the renderings is that the second floor on the office podium is double-height. It's very visible and very dramatic from Causeway, even in an unfinished state.

I took some photos of the project from Friend Street yesterday as well, but they're on my big camera. If I remember to, I'll post them up here.

Last edited:

At least the residential is going to look good from this angle. I can live with having this.

This tunnel is connected to it.

Here are more angles:
https://twitter.com/LMRAMIREZGM/status/1060258345574166530

I believe they are standing where the new narrow tunnel meets the old wider tunnel:

DrbLUigX0AQ5YsY.jpg

DrbLUiiWwAIWY4C.jpg

DrbLUioXcAAKM9R.jpg

Also does anyone know if theres signs up and other random thinngs in the tunnel to make it less.... this. Even though we dont even notice in the other tunnels that have always been there lol.

As a whole, the project really is impressive from the street. Something I hadn't grasped from the street is that the second floor on the office podium is double-height. It's very visible and very dramatic from Causeway, even in an unfinished state.

I took some photos of the project from Friend Street yesterday as well, but they're on my big camera. If I remember to, I'll post them up here.

Yea thats what it looks like the cross bracing is supposed to exemplify, theres no floor beams. Its been shown in past renders. It matches up with the double height windows on the left podium pretty good with the beam that says North Station to kind of make everything look even and aligned.

3d-visualization-BostonProperties-20.jpg

Podium looking very solid; cladding on the res tower looking like warmed over Pierce leftovers, and not in a good day after Thanksgiving kind of way. I am not holding out hope for the office tower.

But hey good news, I was never going to go into those buildings anyway so I'll just enjoy the podium and try not to look up.

i'm not crazy about the white vertical panels on the Pierce. But, what really screwed the project royal are the hideous opaque crazy-as-shit mechanical floor/s.

i think the Hub resident tower looks fine.

The treatment to break up the solidness of the glass is better, imo.

That streetwall looks amazing. If only we could tear down the O'Neill building and get more like this.

Given the extreme costs of the process + building here, the economics of the removal of the entire O'Neill mid-rise would require a very dense tower to replace it. Such a development would severely affect the Hub Resident & Avalon Nashua St Towers, and be shot down in the 1st planning stage in 20 seconds.

However, a closer look reveals the 'low rise section' of the O'Neil as a much more attractive, and economically feasible site to develop.

If you turned the Low Section into a deep hole, you could put up a New York style slender condo skyscraper pushing upwards past MT height all the way up to ~825' with relatively modest impacts to the surrounding highrises, and neighborhood. The 'tall section' of the O'Neill would remain as a dense podium and nice spacing between the towers, becoming a very strong asset at North Station--instead of the millstone.

Would those gorgeous views at the Nashua St and Hub towers be ruined?
Yes; The views would be lost to it's neighbor at the O'Neill site.

Welcome to the Big City. Boston would really turn a corner from dabbling in highrises–to actual, dense 'NYC scale' development at North Station... and with the East Cambridge/Volpe & rail yards building out in the coming years + GCG.... and possibly, even the site at "65";

An extrusive 3rd skyline peak.

The pierce looks bad but this res looks fine? To each his own but I think the pierce looks great and this looks horrible. Just wait for the stilts, the roof notch, and the skylobby, plus random colossal order window mess. It does have one good side though the slender side.

The office is going to be pretty bad too lets pray for another redesign.

This one view whether walking towards the garden for a game or popping out of one of the bars and seeing this looming over you before a Bruins game is going to be “near iconic” because of the slenderness of its aspect ratio.

That second photo: East Berlin in the communist era before German reunification.

Does anyone have an update about the delay in opening the tunnel to connect OL/GL to North Station under Causeway Street?

There's a vague sign now stating "opening in Winter"

Does anyone have an update about the delay in opening the tunnel to connect OL/GL to North Station under Causeway Street?

There's a vague sign now stating "opening in Winter"

See the MBTA General Thread.

Check that parking lot out, theres quite a few of those in the Bulfinch triangle with no proposals so far.

Steve, great shots of a handsome development!

Last edited:
I can see now in my head the aerial shots of the garden towers in the b-roll after commercial break shots when a game is on. Then them panning up from street level with the pregame music playing to show the td garden sign over the entrance and saying “and were here live at the td garden tonight where the Boston Bruins take on ____....”

Back