The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

You guys are awesome for jumping on that South Park references, especially given that the episode came out this weekend.

The crack smoking mayor reference is icing on the cake!

I always enjoy reading Menino's trademark passive bullying statement "I know they'll make the right decision. ". Yep, we'll see Mr. Mayor.

Just doing what I can to prepare us for the inevitable -- say it ana so Mumbles -- the day some short 2 months from now --- when Da Maya is replaced by an ordinary city councilor with a pay upgrade

? He's not being replaced by a city councilor ...

From the BBJ:

"Menino, Boston Properties reach deal on TD Garden project"

Boston Properties just got an early Christmas gift.

The Menino administration is set to announce that they have reached an agreement with Boston Properties and Delaware North Cos. to allow construction of a 45-story residential tower near North Station and provide a lucrative tax break to support the $1 billion development, the Boston Business Journal has learned.

Harry Collings, the former executive secretary of the Boston Redevelopment Authority who now serves as a consultant to Boston Properties, has called members of the Boston Garden Impact Advisory Group, a 13-member panel appointed by City Hall to advise the administration on the project, to say the city will announce on Monday that they will approve the developer's proposed 600-foot height as well as what's known as a 121A agreement that will save the company millions in taxes. The project is set to be on the BRA board agenda on Dec. 19, the last meeting under Mayor Thomas Menino's watch before he leaves office in January.

While the advisory group has been supportive of the 1.7-million-square-foot mixed-use development that will include a 20-story hotel, a 25-story office tower and a 600-foot residential building with 500 units and up to 376,000 square feet of retail space, some members insisted the apartment building was too tall by 200 feet or 15 stories.

Last month, the IAG members who opposed the taller tower were encouraged when Menino urged Boston Properties to lower the height of its proposed 45-story tower, insisting the developer consider neighborhood concerns about setting a precedent with a skyscraper at the TD Garden.

“There has to be a compromise someplace in this development,” Menino told the Boston Business Journal in November. “I have faith in Boston Properties to work with the community. They have been excellent in other developments in the city and they will work on this one. I believe there will be a compromise.”

But since those comments, Menino, the BRA’s director Peter Meade and a BRA spokeswoman have declined to comment. Bryan Koop, senior vice president of Boston Properties, has not returned calls and emails seeking comment.

James Zahka, a West End resident and member of the IAG, said he’s angry and frustrated by the mayor’s decision.

“The mayor blinked,” he said. “I understand the developers threatened that they would not do the project without the tax breaks and the added height. It’s a sham. City Hall involved the IAG members to say they listened to the neighborhood. But in reality they didn’t make a single change based on our recommendations. It was a waste of our time.”

Sliced off 15 stories... lame...

Sliced off 15 stories... lame...

Am I reading that wrong or did the exact opposite of this happen. I'm pretty sure that article says Menino and the BRA basically ignored the IAG. 600 feet proposed and 600 feet approved.

Was it supposed to be 60 stories at one point?

Oh. Did I misread it? That's what I get for skimming for numbers.

This is awesome! Not only was there no.compromise to the project, Menino looks like a fool with his tail between his on his last big development negotiation in office and the "nearby" residents get ignored.

Those aren't tears [of joy], I just have something in my eye.

The only inference I can draw from this is that the original proposal was for an 800 foot behemoth. This was never on the table.

In the alternative, the article suggests that some height was lopped off of the hotel and offices.

I'm confused.

It sounds like Menino got paid off to me. Very shady stuff there. Its bullshit that they got the tax breaks but I like that the developer got to build what they wanted without dragged over the coals.

The more tax breaks they give to these private companies to build these buildings the more the public sector has to maintain them and this is exactly one of the reason for the downfall of Detroit along with the Public Pensions. The city has to hire more public employees to keep the city maintain as we give special tax benefits to certain private companies and individuals to build. Its a cycle of stealing money that never ends.

It should be a illegal to give tax benefits to specific developers for not others. If anything I thought the developers where supposed to give the public sector or taxpayers something off the get go.

There is plenty of demand in Boston to become a larger city and plenty of companies that would invest in the city without any tax breaks. This is just the last looting for Mayor Menino and his business associates. The taxpayers have become SHEEP to these criminals.

Worst part about all this is we get these shit developments nothing cutting edge.

We're going to go over this one more time. Even with the tax break, this is a mammoth increase to city tax revenues. Let's all be happy for a new skyscraper cluster that will vastly alter our skyline and will revitalize a portion of the city previously dedicated primarily to suburban commuters (much like the Fenway).

Just try being happy for once.

^^ You have to remember that some people here can only think of the short term, not the long term.

^^ You have to remember that some people here can only think of the short term, not the long term.

Really....... is that what they were saying in Motor City. Even Chicago, Illinois is now realizing they are BROKE. Is that long-term thinking?

When you continue to issue tax breaks to these corporations eventually they cash out or go bankrupt in the long run and the taxpayers continue to have to maintain the area.

Long-term thinking is investing in Transit, roads, Hwy's making life very accessible for people, Businesses, and community. Instead they are cramming the developments on outdated infrastructure. This is a FACT 93-95 are a mess

Shrewd move by the developer to deal with the North End NIMBY's... could serve as a template for future proposals?

This is awesome! Not only was there no.compromise to the project, Menino looks like a fool with his tail between his on his last big development negotiation in office and the "nearby" residents get ignored.

Those aren't tears [of joy], I just have something in my eye.

We'll have to wait and see what mitigation(extortion) has been planned.

Looks to me that the mayor finally showed some backbone in dealing with the neighborhood groups. Wish he had used this same backbone with the Congress Street Garage project as well.

James Zahka, a West End resident and member of the IAG, said he’s angry and frustrated by the mayor’s decision.
I can't get over the irony of a "West End resident" complaining about new development.

Shrewd move by the developer to deal with the North End NIMBY's... could serve as a template for future proposals?

What's the move that you mean?

Yeah what was the move? The developers don't seem to have given up anything. They got the height they wanted and the tax break.

Back