The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

A 45 story residential tower with 10' per floor would be about 450 feet. 45 stories and 600' would be 13' per floor. It seems like something is wrong with the numbers in that article.

Fantastic news. I'm really happy this is progressing as is.

I took a look at the rendering:

The tower itself is 45 floors on top of a relatively substantial base. I would expect that to contribute partially to the overall height of 600'. There also seems to be that obviously larger floor closer to the top. Still, I don't think the floors could be just 10 feet. They're probably closer to 11 or 12.

Will these be "luxury" residences? I would expect so with those floor heights.

(Rendering compiled by davem)
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+FR+Elevation.bmp

I'm confused by the location of subway entrances and the commuter rail station. I swear I remember the original proposal was to build a "new" North Station - and by "new" I don't mean the area where people now wait for their trains. I thought it was supposed to be something larger and, perhaps, grander - i.e., South Station. No?

I see now that the entrance to "North Station" is in the middle, which makes me feel better but I swear there was supposed to be something else built.

And the entrances to the Green Line and Orange Line - I thought these were going to be right down the middle into the new development .. but in the new drawings and design they're to the left .. two tiny entrances.

Where are the tracks in relation to the new development? I know they're more to the right than the left but are they that far over?

And the new ramp to the underground garage under construction right now - doesn't that go right next to the current entrance to the Green Line? Are T users subject to crossing that ramp to get in and out of the subway?

Really....... is that what they were saying in Motor City. Even Chicago, Illinois is now realizing they are BROKE. Is that long-term thinking?

When you continue to issue tax breaks to these corporations eventually they cash out or go bankrupt in the long run and the taxpayers continue to have to maintain the area.

Long-term thinking is investing in Transit, roads, Hwy's making life very accessible for people, Businesses, and community. Instead they are cramming the developments on outdated infrastructure. This is a FACT 93-95 are a mess

This is satire, no?

More highways and cars for Boston? Great urban planning.

The 1950's called, they want their ideas back.

I'm confused by the location of subway entrances and the commuter rail station. I swear I remember the original proposal was to build a "new" North Station - and by "new" I don't mean the area where people now wait for their trains. I thought it was supposed to be something larger and, perhaps, grander - i.e., South Station. No?

I see now that the entrance to "North Station" is in the middle, which makes me feel better but I swear there was supposed to be something else built.

And the entrances to the Green Line and Orange Line - I thought these were going to be right down the middle into the new development .. but in the new drawings and design they're to the left .. two tiny entrances.

Where are the tracks in relation to the new development? I know they're more to the right than the left but are they that far over?

And the new ramp to the underground garage under construction right now - doesn't that go right next to the current entrance to the Green Line? Are T users subject to crossing that ramp to get in and out of the subway?

If I remember the PDF correctly, that center entrance leads into a high-ceilinged retail atrium. It won't quite look like South Station. Olgilvie Transportation Center in Chicago is a better analog, though with totally different massing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogilvie_Transportation_Center

Thank you for the info. I have been scanning the 400 page PNF and will look more closely.

What is the name of this project? Does it have a website or something distinctive to Google? I"m looking for something easier than the BRA site.

Googling "North Station" or "BOston Properties" or "Delaware North" gets you lots of news and corporate sites,

is it just me or are these towers ugly

I would say boring rather than ugly. Just another "throw away" design in a city of thrown away designs. Boston's charms will definitely remain street-level and in already-defined pockets.

If I remember the PDF correctly, that center entrance leads into a high-ceilinged retail atrium. It won't quite look like South Station. Olgilvie Transportation Center in Chicago is a better analog, though with totally different massing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogilvie_Transportation_Center

South station today is more like the pru then a train station... Maybe 20 food spots and 10 chairs in the whole place. Pretty annoying really. I like the new ns

What is the name of this project? Does it have a website or something distinctive to Google? I"m looking for something easier than the BRA site.

Googling "North Station" or "BOston Properties" or "Delaware North" gets you lots of news and corporate sites,

According to the PNF it is actually called "The Boston Garden." 80 Causeway St is the official address. It makes it tough to Google because you get all kinds of articles and pictures of the actual Boston Garden.

This seems to be sort of productive: https://www.google.com/webhp?authuser=1#authuser=1&q=The+Boston+Garden+development

Be interesting to see how the tower's shape up. I like the massing and the multiple towers, particularly when you add in the backside of Nashua street and other equity towers.

The ground floors and street level/station layout look to be really well done to me and where they had a lot of focus. The towers look more like after thoughts where they said, "don't make it terrible". It's not terrible (and after waterside place I think that's a good thing to remember), but it is very uninspired for the location. A more pointed top would make it a lead in to downtown and create some continuity with the bridge and bunker hill (although I don't like just copying the shape, but something that tips its hat in that direction would be cool), something like the Shard in London would be a nice change of pace.

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Original plan was for 600 feet for residential, roughly 10 feet per story or 60 stories. Now, they are asking for the developer to take off 15 stories, making the building 45 stories, or probably 450 feet. I am sure the MechEng crowd will pile in saying that I did not include roof mechanicals, but whatevs. Although a somewhat typical Boston stub height, 45 stories of residential is still pretty good.

Original plan was for 600 feet for residential, roughly 10 feet per story or 60 stories. Now, they are asking for the developer to take off 15 stories, making the building 45 stories, or probably 450 feet. I am sure the MechEng crowd will pile in saying that I did not include roof mechanicals, but whatevs. Although a somewhat typical Boston stub height, 45 stories of residential is still pretty good.

No one ever said they were taking off the height. The article claims 45 stories and that some members of the panel (and initially the mayor) asked for 15 stories off, meaning 30 stories. Since a 45 story 450ft building would be impossible to build (that's under 10 feet per floor given that there's retail below), I'm guessing the height is still 600 feet. 600ft is a pretty reasonable match to 45 stories.

A supermarket is coming to TD Garden site
Dec 10, 2013
Thomas Grillo
Real Estate Editor
Boston Business Journal

Boston Properties is close to inking a deal that would bring a supermarket to the proposed $1 billion development at the TD Garden.

In a supplemental filing with the Boston Redevelopment Authority on Friday, Boston Properties (NYSE: BXP) and the Delaware North Cos., owner of the TD Garden, said the development team has reached “a preliminary business agreement with a major supermarket operator and will announce the details publicly in the near future.”

Sources say the developers expect to sign a 45,000-square-foot lease for a Star Market within the next week. The supermarket would be housed in the lower level of the 1.7-million-square-foot mixed-use development to be built on a parking lot in front of the Garden. The plan includes a 45-story residential tower with 500 units, a 20-story hotel, a 25-story office building and up to 376,000 square feet of retail space with a prominent entrance on Causeway Street.

Boston Properties hopes to win approval for the project by the BRA board next week, the group’s final session on Mayor Thomas M. Menino’s watch.
North End and West End neighbors say they’ve waited for more than a decade for an affordable supermarket, ever since a Stop & Shop supermarket was replaced by a Whole Foods on Cambridge Street.

A spokesman for West Bridgewater-based Shaw’s Supermarkets, the operator of Star Market stores, and Bryan Koop, senior vice president of Boston Properties, did not respond to requests for a comment.

On Friday, the Boston Business Journal reported the Menino administration is set to announce that they have reached an agreement with the developers to allow construction of a 45-story residential tower near North Station and provide a lucrative tax break to support the $1 billion development.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/12/supermarket-coming-to-td-garden.html

The residential tower is, was, and continues to be 45 stories and 600 feet.

Really....... is that what they were saying in Motor City. Even Chicago, Illinois is now realizing they are BROKE. Is that long-term thinking?

When you continue to issue tax breaks to these corporations eventually they cash out or go bankrupt in the long run and the taxpayers continue to have to maintain the area.

Long-term thinking is investing in Transit, roads, Hwy's making life very accessible for people, Businesses, and community. Instead they are cramming the developments on outdated infrastructure. This is a FACT 93-95 are a mess

Rif -- your weapon is supposed to be for fowling [as in Bald Eagles on the wind farm] but instead its fouling again

If Boston has a fiscal problem it is public employee pensions, public employee health insurance, and to a lesser extent salaries -- but despite the strong unions in Boston -- it doesn't have the same magnitude of problem as that of Detroit or Chicago

The Tax issue for a specific development in a municipality, which is funded to a large extent by nebulous real estate taxes, is nothing like tax breaks / credits, favored loan forgiveness deals and such at the State [e.g. Evergreen Solar] or at the Federal [e.g. Solyindria] level where the government is funded by well-defined income and sales taxes

At the city / town level the tax rate is set -- sure ... BUT despite all the supposed reforms the assessments for the building are totally arbitrary

It would make a whole lot more sense to base the collection of taxes -- on everything except "owner-occupied residential property" -- on the net revenue for the building accounting for the costs of maintenance, financing. etc.

This would stop the random sniping at "deals" such as the original Pru and many other large developments

are the floors really tall or is the base not counted in the floor count?

The base is included. The floors at the base appear to be at least 20'. The MEP floor(s) also add in non-residential height.

are the floors really tall or is the base not counted in the floor count?

As mentioned before, the deck height is almost definitely not 10 feet, that just wouldn't make much sense. 600/45 floors is 13.33' per floor. The retail and mechanical floors are likely a bit taller, so you're looking at probably 11-12 feet per floor,

So in conclusion, 600' is very achievable over 45 floors.

No one ever said they were taking off the height. The article claims 45 stories and that some members of the panel (and initially the mayor) asked for 15 stories off, meaning 30 stories. Since a 45 story 450ft building would be impossible to build (that's under 10 feet per floor given that there's retail below), I'm guessing the height is still 600 feet. 600ft is a pretty reasonable match to 45 stories.

Equilib -- the project proposes 375k ft of retail including the 45k sq ft for the Star Market

the supermarket is undoubtedly on one floor so the retail on each level is of order 50 k sq ft

The question is how big is the footprint of the pedestal -- if its the size of the retail + expanded North Station, elevators, etc. ===> the pedestal would occupy about 60 to 70 k sq ft

that means the 375 k of retail would take up to 5 floors of the pedestal

Even if you assume that the pedestal is larger in footprint there is at least 3 large retail floors with the ground floor probably approaching 20 feet the pedestal will be of order 50 to 70 ft.

Add the 450 X 11 [per floor] = 495 for the residential tower

the total height ex mechanicals is 495 + 50 to 70 == 545 to 565

Unless it says something else in the filing

Back