The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

That site is surrounded by highway ramps and train tracks...doesn't seem too desireable.

It is if you want easy access to both auto and rail transit and be steps from one of the best hospitals in the world.

But in any case, I would think that by "desirable" he meant "fetching a high price from a developer."

That site is surrounded by highway ramps and train tracks...doesn't seem too desireable.

True, though there is obviously the potential of covering the train tracks if the development were large enough (type001 floated the idea of a very large development here). The highway ramps aren't great, but there are plenty of other great things about the parcels.

As busses mentioned above, while aesthetically they don't do well for the area, they do make it extremely accessible.

I also just really, really want to see something happen here. It's such a crummy area of the city to be located on such prime real estate.

I don't think the tower on the left looks anything like 432 Park Ave. However, that chubby building on the right reminds me of the new Gotham West Building.

gotham.jpg

This rendering just came out 2 days ago, so it would be safe to say it is the most current. The entrance to the garden seems like it has been changed to open air.

NorthEndWaterfront-2013-12-09-at-10.26.28-PM.jpg

Looks to me as if the "Champions Way" is a glass canopy

In a moderneeee way its starting to resemble what was there with the Ole Gahden

There was a hotel and an office building -- don't remember any residences however

Doesn't the Zakim look too far off in those renders? The bridge is practically on top of the Garden.

Doesn't the Zakim look too far off in those renders? The bridge is practically on top of the Garden.

I noticed that too. Shameful - its like they've never actually been to the site.

I hate the big clunky elevator shaft, stuck on the exterior.

I noticed that too. Shameful - its like they've never actually been to the site.

They know exactly where it is in reality. They just positioned it to peak out between the towers in this particular render for branding selling purposes.

Agreed that the elevator shaft is vile. I don't really understand what Elkus is trying to do with it- it clashes aesthetically with the rest of the development entirely. Why not just place it inside the tower and widen it? It looks better and it maximizes views for residents.

With all that said, I really, really enjoy the new iteration of the office tower. Thing of beauty.

Agreed that the elevator shaft is vile. I don't really understand what Elkus is trying to do with it- it clashes aesthetically with the rest of the development entirely. Why not just place it inside the tower and widen it? It looks better and it maximizes views for residents.

With all that said, I really, really enjoy the new iteration of the office tower. Thing of beauty.

Unless it was posted in a PNF, I remember reading something that might be a few slides back that the developers want to put a movie theater upstairs on the 2nd and/or 3rd floors of this tower base where the 45-story residences will be located. Centralizing the elevator could negatively impact the layout of the movie theater and, thus, make it unfeasible to operate there.

I agree that the elevator shaft looks ugly in that rendering, but hopefully it could become an art display of some sort or have branding for the Celtics/Bruins.

^ 45 Province Part Deux!

On another note, I wish the "Champions Row" concourse space stretched out to meet the road more. As is it's little more than a circulation corridor with a couple (probably commuter-oriented) shops whereas I was envisioning a place that would be a bit more of a destination, a bit more mall-like.

^ 45 Province Part Deux!

On another note, I wish the "Champions Row" concourse space stretched out to meet the road more. As is it's little more than a circulation corridor with a couple (probably commuter-oriented) shops whereas I was envisioning a place that would be a bit more of a destination, a bit more mall-like.

I agree completely. That's what was implied in prior renderings, and this whole plan loses a lot without it. The fan's experience won't change very much, it seems.

EDIT: Perusing the old renderings, I think that there's a curtain wall next to the street on this version. It's not the fully-enclosed bit that they had originally shown, but look at this:

http://www.metro.us/boston/news/201...ent-proposed-next-to-td-garden-north-station/

That's the same cladding on the right and the same steel canopy as is in these newest renderings, yes? I think there's a semi-outdoors piece to the "Champion's Row" that extends to the street, while there's an inner set of doors leading to the escalators. Then again, that goes against the floor plan a little bit. Who knows?

I agree completely. That's what was implied in prior renderings, and this whole plan loses a lot without it. The fan's experience won't change very much, it seems.

EDIT: Perusing the old renderings, I think that there's a curtain wall next to the street on this version. It's not the fully-enclosed bit that they had originally shown, but look at this:

http://www.metro.us/boston/news/201...ent-proposed-next-to-td-garden-north-station/

That's the same cladding on the right and the same steel canopy as is in these newest renderings, yes? I think there's a semi-outdoors piece to the "Champion's Row" that extends to the street, while there's an inner set of doors leading to the escalators. Then again, that goes against the floor plan a little bit. Who knows?

Huh, so I guess that forward area's more like a "three season" room? I iz confused.

Huh, so I guess that forward area's more like a "three season" room? I iz confused.
Yes the front part of Champion's Row is outdoor and covered with a canopy (you can see the dotted line at the edge which indicates something overhead in plan). It is enclosed about midway back. The original Metro rendering shows the doors at the edge, so they seem to have value engineered the entrance back, leaving a good chunk exposed to the elements.

And the dumbing down begins. The previous rendering had enough differentiation to make it interesting but it was also a sleek, cohesive whole. The base nodded to the history across the street but had some modern integrity—now it has much more of an appearance of historical mimicry and the whole of it begins to look like the typical Elkus mish mash of clashing styles.

The glass tower (minus the silver shaft) could be quite elegant but there is a real danger it too will be made more conservative. A brick base for the office tower is ok but the left half of the base should be glassy and transparent.

I believe the only thing that was approved was the "blight" designation/tax break, which is what the impact advisory group was trying to leverage reductions in height.

Dear IAG,
You were not ignored nor shammed just because you didn't get what you want. A consideration is a not promise, especially when what you want is selfish and out-of-whack.

Sincerely,
Reality

PS - Go worry about something more meaningful and stop getting in the way of good things.

Who is IAG?

Back