The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Shaw's/Star got rid of their loyalty cards a few months ago.

Why would anyone not want a Wegman's, though? That's not a specialty market, it's a general grocer (and the dominant chain in upstate New York).

You just answered your own question. They are not a local player. Shaws/Star is.

Shaw's/Star got rid of their loyalty cards a few months ago.

Why would anyone not want a Wegman's, though? That's not a specialty market, it's a general grocer (and the dominant chain in upstate New York).

Although they may be a general grocer, they are without a doubt an upscale general grocer and this area does not want or need that. They need a store that can cater to the masses and whether you believe it or not, Wegmans is not that chain. Combined this with the local factor, Shaws/Star is a good choice.

Although they may be a general grocer, they are without a doubt an upscale general grocer and this area does not want or need that. They need a store that can cater to the masses and whether you believe it or not, Wegmans is not that chain. Combined this with the local factor, Shaws/Star is a good choice.

What? Have you been into a Wegman's? Their prices are perfectly normal, with maybe meat being a little more than average because they have a slightly higher standard for what they'll sell. There is nothing upscale other than they keep their stores immaculate and offer more (and much better) convenience food than most stores.

Do they need to have a bunch of junk piled in the aisles and leave the produce half stocked like Star/Shaw's to make Bostonians feel welcome?

Don't get me wrong, I think Star/Shaw's will be great here and I'm also glad that it is not a upscale grocer going in. But don't be confused about what Wegman's is - it is an everyday grocery store for millions of regular middle-class people across the northeast.

What? Have you been into a Wegman's? Their prices are perfectly normal, with maybe meat being a little more than average because they have a slightly higher standard for what they'll sell. There is nothing upscale other than they keep their stores immaculate and offer more (and much better) convenience food than most stores.

Do they need to have a bunch of junk piled in the aisles and leave the produce half stocked like Star/Shaw's to make Bostonians feel welcome?

Don't get me wrong, I think Star/Shaw's will be great here and I'm also glad that it is not a upscale grocer going in. But don't be confused about what Wegman's is - it is an everyday grocery store for millions of regular middle-class people across the northeast.

I can't find the article online, but shortly after Wegman's Northborough opened, the Herald did a comparison shop, buying identical items at Stop & Shop, Shaws, Roche Bros., Market Basket and the new Wegmans.

If I remember, Market Basket came out the cheapest (no surprise) with Wegman's being the next cheapest. The most expensive, by far, was Shaw's, hence why they've been on life support for the past 5 years.

The Shaw's at the Pru is pretty nice, so I'll be happy if it's at least like that.

Well than I stand corrected. Was always under the impression that they were more upscale, I'll admit I'm wrong. They are still an out-of-town company and considering how big of an issue the tax break is to some of you, imagine how much more of an issue it would be if it was being being passed along to an out-of-state company.

Let's be honest shaws/star market sucks. Local? Cerberus is in manhattan.

Would rather have seen stop and shop here...although any grocery store is a win here.

Cerebus is pretty successful private equity firm, I have faith in them. Shaws/Star Market are a local firm (West Bridgewater) so I'm not too surprised to see them sign on here. The residents & city have stated numerous times they didn't want to see a Wegmans go here or another type of specialty super market. This is the best option outside of maybe putting a Roche Bros. or Hannafords there.

I think Chrysler would disagree with you about Cerebus' success.

Well than I stand corrected. Was always under the impression that they were more upscale, I'll admit I'm wrong. They are still an out-of-town company and considering how big of an issue the tax break is to some of you, imagine how much more of an issue it would be if it was being being passed along to an out-of-state company.

Star Market / Shaws was founded by the Mugar family of 4th PoPs Spectacular and Mugar Library at BU, etc -- they are local in origin and it persisted through several generations through Gravastar their private real estate operation -- Although how much family influence still exists is ?

Wegmans is definitely not upscale. In Western New York they compete head to head with Tops which is anything but upscale.

I think Chrysler would disagree with you about Cerebus' success.

Maybe, but Chrysler's problems were in place long before Cerberus entered the picture. It also didn't help Cerberus' case that the economy tanked right after they bought in.

Wegmans is definitely not upscale. In Western New York they compete head to head with Tops which is anything but upscale.

Maybe, but Chrysler's problems were in place long before Cerberus entered the picture. It also didn't help Cerberus' case that the economy tanked right after they bought in.

Cerberus didn't want Chrysler, they wanted the Chrysler finance unit. They did nothing with the car company and positioned it badly. Their intent was to get the finance unit and it eventually combined with GMAC to make Ally Bank. The car company was a throwaway for them. They made plenty of money on the finance arms. It was the feds all but forcing the sale to Fiat that actually improved the car business. The greater concern is what they have in mind for their creation Steward Health which bought up so many hospitals. Thread derail complete.

Rented a Dodge Challenger the last couple of weeks in FL. It was pretty kick ass. Hope FIAT brings Alfa back. Supermarkets...bring back A&P.

Let's be honest shaws/star market sucks. Local? Cerberus is in manhattan.

Would rather have seen stop and shop here...although any grocery store is a win here.

I said Shaw's/Star was local, not Cerbus. They are still based out of West Bridgewater

I'm still not impressed how Causeway Street has evolved. Hopefully after this development we will be heading in the right direction.

Archstone Project & the Victor added no real streetscape to the area. I'm tired of CVS, Walgreens, banks, and Dounkin donuts monopolizing every major development retail spot in the city.

I actually miss the Barnes & Noble off Washington & School Street which is now a flagship Walgreens.

Causeway St. has a lot of potential if this development is done right.

I actually miss the Barnes & Noble off Washington & School Street which is now a flagship Walgreens.

It was a Borders, and Borders went out of business nationally. Had they been bought out by B&N, I bet that space would've been maintained as a bookstore. We all miss it.

I'm still not impressed how Causeway Street has evolved. Hopefully after this development we will be heading in the right direction.

Archstone Project & the Victor added no real streetscape to the area. I'm tired of CVS, Walgreens, banks, and Dounkin donuts monopolizing every major development retail spot in the city.

Causeway St. has a lot of potential if this development is done right.

Rif -- don't forget the legendary "Penalty Box Lounge" -- who needs big screens when they have live nightly stickfighting for your imbibing pleasure

miss new band night at "Chet's Last Call"

Causeway has a long way to go. It was never a street of particularly savory retail...in a way it's got to establish an entirely new identity which will take a number of fits and starts, depending on the deep pockets of residents. I would hate the area to become exclusively oriented toward Garden activities and sports....too one-dimensional....

Let's see what the [excruciatingly slow development of] indoor Boston Public Market along with that new hotel recently approved to go up on the Greenway parcel by Valenti Way might do in terms of helping to diversify the culture of the neighborhood away from the ephemeral/transitory nature of Bruins, Celtics games and the bar scene they sustain... could be wishful thinking, but those two developments might make a difference.

I saw that the proposal on the Garden spot includes an underground garage. Does anyone know how much room there is for that given that the T stop must take up a fair amount of space?

Also, have any of the drawings shown or implied that this development would lead to an enclosed connection between the train station and the subway?

Back