The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I saw that the proposal on the Garden spot includes an underground garage. Does anyone know how much room there is for that given that the T stop must take up a fair amount of space?

Also, have any of the drawings shown or implied that this development would lead to an enclosed connection between the train station and the subway?

No garage, they are just using spaces in the existing one. Hence the new ramp on the east side. (Plus the Nashua St residences are going to fubar the current ramp).

I posted the floor plans from the PNF in this post here, but to answer your question: yes, and yes. You can see the existing gardens parking garage in the same floor plan as the subway to commuter rail connection.

Upon further review, that center arcade entrance was proposed to be half open air from the beginning, so everyone was flipping out about nothing. It actually looks like they added that canopy, I don't see it in the older renderings. In any case the escalator banks will need to be covered, so has to be some sort of headhouse.

I posted the floor plans from the PNF in this post here, but to answer your question: yes, and yes. You can see the existing gardens parking garage in the same floor plan as the subway to commuter rail connection.
QUOTE]

Good one, dave, thanks! Hadn't seen this before!

This project looks better and better with each iteration.

It really does. This is a transformative project well past due that I am glad is going big. Add in GC garage and this area goes way up. If I could buy in the triangle now I would, but alas...

also, love how they are bringing back Shawmut Bank in the base on the first page. Down with BoA.

Which part of this is phase 1?

The Proponent seeks to start construction of Phase 1 within the next year, with construction occurring over approximately 24 months. Phase 1 will be able to stand alone as a project, and the site will not look as if it is still under construction. The construction of the residential and office towers will occur in the future based on market demands as it is important for both the Proponent and the community that these projects be successful. Since Phase 1 will be in operation at the time of the construction of the towers, it is in the Proponent’s interest to ensure minimal impact on the Project site and surrounding area. Phase 1 has been designed to allow for space to contain future construction staging and to minimize the impacts of construction of the immediate and surrounding areas.

From the PNF:
2.5 Schedule

The Project is anticipated to be completed in separate phases. The first phase, which
includes the retail podium, the atrium hall, expansion of the TD Garden, hotel tower and
parking garage, is anticipated to commence in the third quarter of 2014 with completion by the first quarter of 2017.
The residential tower and office tower will be constructed in
subsequent phases to occur after phase one with construction schedules of approximately 24 to 36 months. The residential tower and office tower may be completed as one phase or as separate phases.

I'm guessing the pedestal is Phase 1. Phase 2... 20 years from now.

Which part of this is phase 1?

Are the 3, 4, & 5-story "street wall" buildings actually podiums, with the towers going on later? I'm not necessarily opposed to such a phasing plan provided the street level is quality and the parking lot is gone.

Phase 1 is everything except the office and residential tower.

Although it looks like they are going commence construction of the towers during phae 1.

The towers look great.

I bet they end up continuing it. It sounds like they are doing this because they are financing them separately and also want to see the phasing of other projects. They don't want the neighborhood to have 1500 new residences all in the same year competing for the same rental pool. They'd prob. rather hold off 6 months and get higher initial rents the following year. I don't think it's a short and long term plan, i think its more, we can't get all the money at this date because so much other is under construction and we may want to shift our timeline a year.

Although it looks like they are going commence construction of the towers during phae 1.

The towers look great.

Huh? No they won't. Refer to my post above and even the original post from Shepard.

Banks and lenders prefer developments to be phased, it lowers their risk and exposure. This project is being phased for all of the above reasons I would imagine. Higher initial rents, lots of new supply coming to market, better financing terms.

BP will not start construction of the office tower without a large tenant signed up. For that reason, BP has not commenced 888 Boylston Street at the Prudential Center.

Thanks, Partners.

Huh? No they won't. Refer to my post above and even the original post from Shepard.

You're right. I read the word "operation" and thought "construction".

6.5 Phasing
The Proponent seeks to start construction of Phase 1 within the next year, with construction occurring over approximately 24 months. Phase 1 will be able to stand alone as a project, and the site will not look as if it is still under construction. The construction of the residential and office towers will occur in the future based on market demands as it is important for both the Proponent and the community that these projects be successful.
Since Phase 1 will be in operation at the time of the construction of the towers
, it is in the Proponent’s interest to ensure minimal impact on the Project site and surrounding area. Phase 1 has been designed to allow for space to contain future construction staging and to minimize the impacts of construction of the immediate and surrounding areas.

Honestly, the impact of this project is mostly in the low-rise portion and the streetscape anyhow. If the towers take another few years to get started that doesn't bother me terribly.

It's too bad that the Canal St. side of Avenir is so bad... with the GCG project's linear plaza lined up with it too you could pedestrianize the whole street from GCG to the North Station doors.

BTW. Did an image search for "North Station Boston" and found this. I'd never heard of it before...

http://www.msafdie.com/#/projects/northstationdistrictmasterplan

Last edited:

WTF? Thankfully this bullet was dodged:

11445156694_09c9bb1de4_o.jpg

Could have been a cool project except what happened to the train station and the Garden?

Back