The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

5,000 permanent jobs + 497 housing units (not all single occupancy) + 306 hotel rooms (not all single occupancy) = hello, traffic congestion! The price you pay for growth.

Not if these are smart people. This project is on top of a major transit hub -- no reason for a large traffic surge!

The Green Line needs a major upgrade to maximize throughput, SOON. Add the gargantuan Government Center Garage project and the big development at Parcels 12 and 15 near the Hynes and you'll be able to hear the system groan.
Sorry for the side track.

So this whole project got approved but they're building in phases or just the first phase was approved?

So this whole project got approved but they're building in phases or just the first phase was approved?

The entire project was approved but they are building in 4 phases.

The entire project was approved but they are building in 4 phases.

I thought it was 2 phases.

Phase I: Garden & garage expansion with the retail podium and hotel tower
Phase II: Office & residential tower

LEED Platinum? The only other project I've ever heard of that made Platinum was a high school in Chicago that was built out of the old power plant at the original Sears HQ complex, and that used the existing water wheel power generation equipment to power itself!

I thought it was 2 phases.

Phase I: Garden & garage expansion with the retail podium and hotel tower
Phase II: Office & residential tower

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...evelopment-projects-planning-and-zoning-initi

Phase I
Four to six story podium with 187,500 +/- square feet of retail space on the west side, and 47,500 +/- square feet of retail space and 142,000 +/- square feet of flex office/retail space on the east side.
Construction of Champion’s Row and Atrium Hall, which will connect Causeway Street to North Station and the TD Garden.
A four-level below grade parking facility for approximately 800 parking spaces which will be integrated with the existing garage under North Station.

Phase II
A 20-story hotel tower totaling 200,000 square feet with approximately 306 hotel rooms.

Phase III
A 45-story residential tower totaling 560,000 square feet with 497 units of housing.

Phase IV
A 25-story office tower totaling 668,000 square feet.

And yeah, I'm excited about the LEED Platinum reach too! I'm glad they are aiming so high! They'll probably get gold in the end, but because the bar was set so high they have the opportunity to reach for the stars. If they had just tried for Certified or Silver then the building likely wouldn't have any LEED standards at all after VE. More developers should be setting the bar high!

Real question after all the song and dance is over and the final brick has been laid -- Will you be able to take a train to North Station walk inside through the Garden Lobby area, buy a Cappuccino, and then get on the Green or Orange Lines without having snow down your neck or slush in your shoes

That's what the inquiring minds want to know

Real question after all the song and dance is over and the final brick has been laid -- Will you be able to take a train to North Station walk inside through the Garden Lobby area, buy a Cappuccino, and then get on the Green or Orange Lines without having snow down your neck or slush in your shoes

That's what the inquiring minds want to know

Yes, direct access from Champions Row. Straight shot down the escalators and around the corner.

Basement:
2hrofm8.png

Ground:
142u806.png

LEED Platinum? The only other project I've ever heard of that made Platinum was a high school in Chicago that was built out of the old power plant at the original Sears HQ complex, and that used the existing water wheel power generation equipment to power itself!

I think the Genzyme facility in Cambridge achieved Platinum as well. It's got that roof made of rotating solar panels on it.

Data, your floorplans must just have plugged in the existing N. Station layout - lets all agree its safe to assume that they'll relocate the ticket booths under the escalators that go up to the arena...(especially given the indication of a bank of doors on the new construction side...)

Data, your floorplans must just have plugged in the existing N. Station layout - lets all agree its safe to assume that they'll relocate the ticket booths under the escalators that go up to the arena...(especially given the indication of a bank of doors on the new construction side...)

Yeah, all the TD Garden plans in the PNF plans show existing conditions only. Strange how they didn't just do some quick clean-up to make the new connection read clearer. The same holds true on the 3rd Floor. They show the new banks of elevators and big elevator lobby for the TD Garden but it appears seemingly inaccessible because the existing layout is walled off next to it. It doesn't personally effect me because I have an architecture background, but I could see how it could confuse someone outside the architecture world trying to understand the plans.

Boston Properties achieved LEED Platinum on Russia Wharf as well.

So, does the North Station commuter rail station lobby stay where it is (built out towards the tracks a few years ago), or does it move back towards Causeway Street?

So, does the North Station commuter rail station lobby stay where it is (built out towards the tracks a few years ago), or does it move back towards Causeway Street?

I'd assume it just stays where it is, as North Station itself really isn't effected much by this expansion. The only clear thing that needs to happen is to take out those ticket booths near the escalators where they are proposing the new Champions Row entrance. I've tried to read through the PNF to find some text about how they plan to rearrange some of the North Station/TD Garden layout, but was unable to find anything.

It's just a couple ticket office-related rooms blocking the way, right? And there's definitely no way they'd completely redo North Station no more than five years after its last big overhaul.

BP has chosen the Marriott AC brand for the hotel component. There are no Marriott AC's currently in North America, although I believe there is one under construction in Miami. No developer yet as they are going to do an RFP

I think all this LEED stuff is stupid. I live in a LEED Gold building in NYC. We have solar panels, a composting system, etc. Whatevs.

Here is an interesting article about the Durst Fetner group that until now has built a lot of their buildings to LEED specs, in fact they were the first to have a LEED Platinum buiilding - One Bryant Park. They have decided that LEED has too many limitations - that the energy analysis focuses on the cost of energy whereas DF wants to focus on carbon use.

http://www.durstfetner.com/company-profile/newsroom/?news=59

In the past I've heard that a lot of people take more pride in getting EnergyStar certified, that LEED is not the best system. Is this still true?

Back