The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

odurandina

Reaction score
Yes, he's right. As as much as i want to moan about another fat box in Boston, the lab building was the perfect match for the market demand (grownups). The complexity of lab space, probably adds far less desirability for mixed use residential or hotel component up top (such as Hines is attempting with SST). But, we know the Hub's Residential component is a compromise between grownups and a lunatic fringe of North End & West End flat earthers. It probably could have reached toward 1.5 to 1.75x the number of residential units, and built ~680-780' vs what they got (recall Chiofaro originally wanted to do a 780' resident + ~600' mixed use right up the street, so we already know the economics support that scale of construction).
As unfounded (childish vs grownup) my complaints of the office tower are, i'd be remiss to complain about it if the 659'/201m skyscraper had gone up next door. We sure (do) cross paths with a good number of grownups in Boston's development and design process. Unfortunately, only Bill Linehan, and a few others ever had the first clue for how to tell the nimby's to go home and spend more time with loved ones.
The effects of Bill Linehan's friendly voice to development (now absent) is being felt in the adjacent neighborhoods to Downtown. We now have a City Council very unfriendly to development.

Last edited:

odurandina

Reaction score
^^Wow.
These are some of the best yet of the development area.
Thank you.

tocoto

Reaction score
Is the overhang jutting out over Causeway St. at the junction between the podium and tower a permanaent feature?

odurandina

Reaction score
My guess is it's to prevent more civilian folk from being killed.

Those shots nicely illustrate the spacing of the towers that someday could permit a 5th tower to rise at the low section of the O'Neill Fed.

Arenacale

Reaction score
Meanwhile, inside the Garden: https://twitter.com/nicolecyang/status/1173983995601793032

It looks nice enough, definitely more modern, although I immediately got Pittsburgh vibes out of it. And I guess that's where my gripe is, it looks nicer but by the same token the gold seats were a nice connection to the old Garden, and it's sad that's gone. Also - the place looks barren as hell without the banners.

stick n move

Reaction score
The Hub on Causeway is very Boston. This is right in line with what youd expect our sports arena to be like if you visited the city. I like that we can still contrast street levels with other new build stadiums like San Fran. Its good to still have distinct venues in different cities even serving the same purposes that are vastly different. I think this cane out great and already feels like its been here forever and belongs.

Last edited:

Equilibria

Reaction score
Meanwhile, inside the Garden: https://twitter.com/nicolecyang/status/1173983995601793032

It looks nice enough, definitely more modern, although I immediately got Pittsburgh vibes out of it. And I guess that's where my gripe is, it looks nicer but by the same token the gold seats were a nice connection to the old Garden, and it's sad that's gone. Also - the place looks barren as hell without the banners.
On that subject, why don't outdoor stadiums use perforated/mesh seats? Hard plastic gets both hot and wet, and it doesn't breathe.

I've seen examples of spring training parks in Arizona that do this because of the heat, but why not Fenway?

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

stick n move

Reaction score
From WCVB: https://www.wcvb.com/article/td-garden-shows-off-new-seats-other-upgrades/29092472

Really cool to see daylight poking through the previously-blank back wall of the balcony, where the new upper concourse will go. Work on the new Level 9 "Rafters Level" also shown, but doesn't appear too far along yet:

Its like a whole new stadium. The cool part is they could punch out the walls on the other side too in the future if they build over the tracks. Pretty cool seeing the bar area behind the seats and the rafters is going to be badass as well.