The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Not every pro team stays at top end hotels.

Does Boston need, or could it handle another luxury hotel? We already have The Mandarin Oriental, The Taj, The Liberty, The W, The Intercontinental, The Ritz Carlton, The Four Seasons, etc.

Not every pro team stays at top end hotels.

Does Boston need, or could it handle another luxury hotel? We already have The Mandarin Oriental, The Taj, The Liberty, The W, The Intercontinental, The Ritz Carlton, The Four Seasons, etc.

Fair enough, maybe hockey and basketball teams don't stay at the Ritz. I don't really know. What is an example or two of hotels that teams stay at when playing at the Garden?

I see a lot of NBA teams loading up in front of the Harbor Hotel. I also know that everyone was staying at the Fairmount Battery Wharf for the Bill Russell statue unveiling, because my father in law was staying there too and got to hang out with Dr J and Charles Barkley.

Hi, folks,

Apologies if this is in the wrong category.

As a resident of Sierra-Tango (Northpoint), I received a communique this morning about EZRide delays in the surrounding area.

Note number 2 (of 3) was confounding:

<<North Station Residential Tower Construction: Starting on August 4th, construction on a new 38-story residential tower will begin behind the TD Garden and North Station. The roadways currently used by EZRide Shuttle are within the work zone, and will be shifted out onto Nashua Street during this work.>>

There are more details before the bulletin ends with, "Duration: 2-3 years."

I assumed this was cautionary, but the other elements on the list are already delaying EZRide. And, returning from downtown by bike yesterday I did see a number of red survey marks on the sidewalks and streets around the area.

Thoughts?

Hi, folks,

Apologies if this is in the wrong category.

As a resident of Sierra-Tango (Northpoint), I received a communique this morning about EZRide delays in the surrounding area.

Note number 2 (of 3) was confounding:

<<North Station Residential Tower Construction: Starting on August 4th, construction on a new 38-story residential tower will begin behind the TD Garden and North Station. The roadways currently used by EZRide Shuttle are within the work zone, and will be shifted out onto Nashua Street during this work.>>

There are more details before the bulletin ends with, "Duration: 2-3 years."

I assumed this was cautionary, but the other elements on the list are already delaying EZRide. And, returning from downtown by bike yesterday I did see a number of red survey marks on the sidewalks and streets around the area.

Thoughts?

That would be the Nashua Street Residences, I think.

Get outta here!! That means that both residential towers are starting this year? And NSH starts today?

Nice! Might as well build it all up together.

From yesterday. I haven't been in North Station in months and I arrive to this. Is the concourse work actually underway?

20140902_084235.jpg

Certainly looks that way. The Bruins open up in 36 days, should be interesting to see what the place looks like over the course of the season.

A friend of mine used to work at the Courtyard Marriott in Coolidge Corner and told me that some baseball teams would stay there.

I know at least one MLB team has stayed at the Westin, and teams don't generally stay immediately next to the arena as they may want some separation from their workplace (and the fans).

Personally, I'd be happy to see a Hilton Garden there. Hotel rates in Boston have skyrocketed over the past few years, even on the weekends, and some added choices and competition in the 2- and 3-star range in the central city would be really beneficial (don't forget there's already a Holiday Inn Express in the neighborhood as well, which falls in nicely with the Courtyard and HGI).

I believe the Merano is supposed to have a hotel component right next door, so I wonder what kind of impact that hotel will have on the type of hotel that goes in this development

I know at least one MLB team has stayed at the Westin, and teams don't generally stay immediately next to the arena as they may want some separation from their workplace (and the fans).

Personally, I'd be happy to see a Hilton Garden there. Hotel rates in Boston have skyrocketed over the past few years, even on the weekends, and some added choices and competition in the 2- and 3-star range in the central city would be really beneficial (don't forget there's already a Holiday Inn Express in the neighborhood as well, which falls in nicely with the Courtyard and HGI).

Not the same part of town but there is a Hilton Garden going where the old Circle Cinema was in Cleveland Circle. And 2 mid-priced hotels (at least for Boston) are being built near the convention center. Unfortunately, we are never going to routinely see widespread sub-$150 a night rooms for respectable hotels downtown. But it would be nice if there were better options in the $150-$200/ night range.

Yeah, every once in a while, I think of taking a staycation and treating my self to a night or weekend at a nice boutique hotel, but then I see the prices...

I love boutique hotels, but throwing in a more affordable hotel would add much needed rooms to hopefully make prices across the board a bit more reasonable.

Yeah, every once in a while, I think of taking a staycation and treating my self to a night or weekend at a nice boutique hotel, but then I see the prices...

I love boutique hotels, but throwing in a more affordable hotel would add much needed rooms to hopefully make prices across the board a bit more reasonable.

Might have been a special summer deal but my wife and I spent a night last month at the beautiful Charles Hotel in Harvard Square and it was about $150 for the night and included parking at the hotel. Not cheap but not terrible and a great night without the kids!

As with my other couple postings today, these come from Boston Properties' investor conference from last week. I have not seen these renderings before, but both the office tower (right) and hotel (center) look far more drab and boxy than I remember. Plus, I smell a VE job all the way around on this one. The previous design I saw was quirky and, perhaps, not amazing, but at the very least I thought it looked interesting. This...I just think it looks drab and very "meh."

Also, I really hope Boston Properties' interpretation of Nashua Street Residences in that last rendering isn't what we end up getting there...

For reference, from earlier this year:

Latest Images from the Final Environmental Impact Report - Jan 31, 2014
htiqhe.jpg

m9r60w.jpg

52dz83.jpg

From the presentation last week:

30dkm0j.jpg

2ep2537.jpg

2czhub.jpg

29e6kxt.jpg

16jpu7p.jpg

15cdb41.jpg

This latest rendering is quite impressive. Maybe they can actually keep it as it is, but that's asking too much I think.

They done Bostoned it good...

IIRC only the podium is getting built, the towers come later so they are likely placeholders. From the very beginning I wasn't really a fan of either of the towers, so not much has changed.

I will say though, I LOVE that the left half of the new development takes inspiration from the old garden. The windows and the signage... perfect. I hope they keep that idea intact through the process.

Looks similar to me.
Maybe you were thrown off by the first new one you included which is more of a stacking diagram than a rendering, showing the use groups included.

With the 3 low rises built or about to be built, plus this and nashua. This area will now be 1000% different than when I was growing up. Bye bye to elevated tracks and central artery bridge. Hello real North station, shopping, residents, and connection to the North End.

High hopes.

Back