The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I like the slender buildings on the right, but what is with the Tetris windows? I am seeing them all over projects in NYC, too. As for the building on the left, Boston will be getting another stubby slab of a building to add to the collection.

52dz83.jpg

I respect your opinion, but I was never in awe of TWC. They are rather boring glass twin towers. I think Garden Proposal has variety and much more depth.

I'm not saying they are the best design but they are a landmark. I actually like the proposed Garden towers by themselves, just not right there. The TWC I feel works as a whole better.

Whatever I feel about the design, the overall plan is a winner and Boston will be so much better once this is built.

I agree with you, Van. This neighborhood will be a better place because of this project.

Whatever I feel about the design, the overall plan is a winner and Boston will be so much better once this is built.

I knew something was up when I saw the FEIR, but I didn't really think twice about it...

Considering the project has already received official BRA approval, what options could the BRA exercise to force redesign of the building? As stated up-thread, this is their raison d'être, advocating on behalf of the public for the greater good.

I'd be damned if we saw anymore buildings' height chopped down while North Station and its adjacent transit services can't be properly integrated.

I'm probably wrong about this, but it looks like we can have our cake and eat it, too. From the previous proposal, the main loading dock space behind the Causeway Street retail on the western portion of the building appears to have been downsized for more retail and in favour of adding a third loading bay to accommodate a trailer and 2 smaller loading bays. It looks like they achieved this with a compromise to the office's lobby space, but no other significant changes.

A transit passageway to bring people directly to North Station's doorstep could still fit under the loading docks and Champion's Row. If the developer is concerned about the volume of traffic passing through their stores on their way to the train, well, boy are they in a big surprise.... those people have trains to catch anyway and won't be stopping by 'Zazaza' or 'Apex' on their way to the train. If someone needs to get groceries on the way home, they can still walk the 10 metres from the station portal to the supermarket doors.

Having the station portal in 'Champion's Row' would arguably bring in more customers, if the contention is on foot traffic versus cost.

As a side note: This development, like TWC at Columbus Square in Manhattan is adjacent a major subway hub for B-division/IND & BMT lines and serves a local stop on the 1 train. TWC is proximate enough to the station to have also built pedestrian underpasses into the building, but instead in order to get to TWC, you either get out at the southern tip of Columbus Circle and walk under a very small sliver of an overhang into the office building or you get out at the northern tip of Columbus Circle and cross Broadway. Granted, TWC doesn't also house a major terminal station for commuter rail lines.

That some kind of big/tall development was essentially approved as part of the big dig negotiations, along with its proximity to the celts and bruins venues makes anything built at this location a veritable gold mine. It's been 20 years since the old garden came down and nothing has been built. A damning a testament to the pathological risk aversion of the Jacobs family and their miniscule commitment to Boston.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the garage which previous only had an entrance off Nashua St, now has an entrance on Causeway next to the Tip ONeil Portal. I recall discussing before how we couldn't figure out what all the construction was about, and a couple weeks ago I went by to be startled by this new entrance.

I wonder if we're looking at tile or painted concrete blocks?

Renders for concourse upgrades:

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2...garden-will-look-like-postrenovation.php#more

I like the light Just needs to be kept clean.

Nice renders. Now if they would only do something to brighten up the North Station cavern. No matter how many blinding floodlights they turn on in that space, it feels dark and dank, kind of like Bates Hall at the Copley library before its restoration.

Well since this is approved, has a $7.8 million tax break, already has star market signed as one of its tenants, and looking at all of these other developments going on around Boston right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on starting construction on this soon.

Check out the rendering on the BRA site:
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/the-boston-garden

I've decided all these projects at the Garden are the absolute worst threads.

They all pop up every few weeks with nothing new, nothing moving forward, and nothing ever happening. They seem like the biggest no-brainers, have approvals, in one of the hottest building markets, and nothing. Aggravating beyond belief.

Also, that render above is just piss poor. Thanks for the water colors glorified massing plan...... This city doesn't need an homage to the Pru on the other side of town either.

I've decided all these projects at the Garden are the absolute worst threads.

They all pop up every few weeks with nothing new, nothing moving forward, and nothing ever happening. They seem like the biggest no-brainers, have approvals, in one of the hottest building markets, and nothing. Aggravating beyond belief.

Also, that render above is just piss poor. Thanks for the water colors glorified massing plan...... This city doesn't need an homage to the Pru on the other side of town either.

I agree in reference to the Nashua St. tower, but this one isn't that old a proposal. There was a similar break between the approval and initial renders of Four Seasons (that had no detail) and the very sudden final design reveal a couple of months ago.

It takes time to get tenants and get the construction drawings done. Heck, even Millennium Tower took a fair bit of time to get underway...

Seamus do you need an intervention? Your not going to jump off the Tobin right? It'd be cool to see this one go up soon, but I agree with your general assertion that it probably wont start next month

Nah I'm good. But thanks for the concern.

I realize this current iteration is fairly recent. But it has been in the works for roughly 2 decades. Coupled with the at least three other major projects in this area doing nothing. I had a minor snap earlier I guess.

I suppose if I did want to jump off the Tobin. I wouldn't need to wait quite as long in traffic to get there. Woo electronic tolls paying off quickly.

I agree in reference to the Nashua St. tower, but this one isn't that old a proposal. There was a similar break between the approval and initial renders of Four Seasons (that had no detail) and the very sudden final design reveal a couple of months ago.

It takes time to get tenants and get the construction drawings done. Heck, even Millennium Tower took a fair bit of time to get underway...

Even the millennium tower eh? Considering I did the due diligence report on it 8 years ago or so. I suppose you're right. Naming it the Millenium tower is an apt nod to the slow development process in boston. The name is only 14 years late, which makes sense since it'll probably be occupied about that many years after the process got going and the basement was closed....

I'm friends with someone in the know. He said the retail podium and first residential building are absolutely moving forward. Just working to get CD's completed. He said the office building needs an anchor tenant to break ground. But they're building the podium so that it will be relatively easy to build the other towers above it as demand dictates.

I'm friends with someone in the know. He said the retail podium and first residential building are absolutely moving forward. Just working to get CD's completed. He said the office building needs an anchor tenant to break ground. But they're building the podium so that it will be relatively easy to build the other towers above it as demand dictates.

Is the first residential the tallest tower? Any specific timeline expectations that you know about?

Back