The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Is the first residential the tallest tower? Any specific timeline expectations that you know about?

Not sure on which building is which. My friend talked about a fall groundbreaking.

Could they be talking about the Nashua st residences?

<Insert Dancing Banana here>

Yes, the residential is the tallest one. But I am just glad that it's starting regardless.

To be clear, the 600 footer is starting in the fall?

mind bottling

Even the millennium tower eh? Considering I did the due diligence report on it 8 years ago or so. I suppose you're right. Naming it the Millenium tower is an apt nod to the slow development process in boston. The name is only 14 years late, which makes sense since it'll probably be occupied about that many years after the process got going and the basement was closed....

Well it's named Millennium tower after the developer millennium partners. Thus Millennium place down the street

When this was approved back in December the developers said they were going to start with the retail base and hotel..

Did they change their plans?

Again, no clue if they changed their plans. Just talked to someone very senior on the development team who said they're moving forward with res tower and retail podium. I think they were still looking for a flag for the hotel. And an anchor tenant for the office seemed further off.

Again, no clue if they changed their plans. Just talked to someone very senior on the development team who said they're moving forward with res tower and retail podium. I think they were still looking for a flag for the hotel. And an anchor tenant for the office seemed further off.

Basically BP is going to build the hotel shell and sell it along with the air rights over the podium to a hotel operator to finish off. They will provide parking but want some say in the flag that goes on the hotel. Originally, they wanted a Marriott AC but there are 2 coming just north of the city and honestly no one knows how successful the brand will be so developers are balking.

I know a few developers talking with BP, most want a Homewood Suites or Hilton Garden Inn, maybe a combo.

A hilton garden inn? I know this area isn't the luxury spot, but i'd be surprised if they had that level of hotel. Personally, something at that level of affordability would be great for the city, but it seems to be focused on what the area is and not what it will be post this project and GCG. I guess they are just banking on this being a mid level tourist spot and not a business hotel. A large mid-range hotel is great, i'm just surprised.

I don't know if the Triangle will ever be a huge luxury tourism draw. It's dominated by the Garden and people going to the B's, C's, concerts, etc. Is the new housing, office space, and retail going to bring a large enough crowd to compete with the ~18,000 people coming in a couple hundred nights out of the year screaming to have their money taken in exchange for pizza and Bud Light Lime? I think, no matter what, the Garden crowd's going to dominate them, and generate bank for whoever's catering to them.

Is it because the hotel component of the Merano is supposed to be a bit more expensive? Not that the Merano is going to be luxury-esque hotel, but if its going to be middle of the pack, maybe TD Garden is looking for something one level below that?

A hilton garden inn? I know this area isn't the luxury spot, but i'd be surprised if they had that level of hotel. Personally, something at that level of affordability would be great for the city, but it seems to be focused on what the area is and not what it will be post this project and GCG. I guess they are just banking on this being a mid level tourist spot and not a business hotel. A large mid-range hotel is great, i'm just surprised.

Hilton Garden Inns are considered to be upscale mid-priced hotels that are designed for both business and leisure travelers. It was designed to directly compete with Courtyard by Marriott which is the hotel flag going on the Merano.

I don't know if the Triangle will ever be a huge luxury tourism draw. It's dominated by the Garden and people going to the B's, C's, concerts, etc. Is the new housing, office space, and retail going to bring a large enough crowd to compete with the ~18,000 people coming in a couple hundred nights out of the year screaming to have their money taken in exchange for pizza and Bud Light Lime? I think, no matter what, the Garden crowd's going to dominate them, and generate bank for whoever's catering to them.

As a comparison, I don't think there are any high-end hotels in the Fenway (unless Verb counts), but there are several mid and low-end options. On the other hand, there's a lot of high-end office space going in between this, Lovejoy Wharf, and One Congress, so maybe there's a market for business accommodation.

Wouldn't they want a good portion of high-end hotel space there if there is going to be a large office component right next to it?

This place will have some spectacular city views. Combined with the premium office space coming online here, the potential to host visiting teams playing at the Garden, and excellent access to the rest of the city (by foot, transit, or taxi) I definitely see this hotel going high-end.

Luxury hotels need more business than they're going to get from a handful of offices and occasional traveling sports teams. There's a reason the Four Seasons, Meridian, Taj, etc are where they are, and this complex and the Converse building aren't going to turn the triangle into those neighborhoods.

I mentioned it as a possibility in the Boston Landing thread for that hotel component but a JW Marriott could be a good option for either this space or the New Balance space. Not too luxury but certainly far better than a Hilton Garden Inn or Hawthorne Suites (which are fine for what they are, but have their location and this spot is not it)

Back