The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

$10.9M seems low no? Especially after it was announced that carpenter and co paid $65M to Christian science. Am I missing something?

Having an actual brand in the render means it will be included almost definitely correct? that would mean there are 2 new apple stores coming 1 here and one in seaport.

Having an actual brand in the render means it will be included almost definitely correct? that would mean there are 2 new apple stores coming 1 here and one in seaport.

Generally, yes, but it's always really risky to put brands in renders hence the reason for so many renders with "Stardust Coffee."

This project just screams "Boston finally becoming an actual world class city"!

Absolutely love the podium but neither of the towers really do it for me.

Thee design is still too jumbled for me but I also realize this will change as the buildings get built. Also: still better than a parking lot.

This is one project where the tower designs aren't terribly important to me as long as theyre not hideous, what I'm really looking forward is returning causeway to more of an urban feel like it used to have with the old garden right on the street and the El there.

This is one project where the tower designs aren't terribly important to me as long as theyre not hideous...

I think the aesthetic importance of the towers here is that they are THE gateway from the North. This is going to be the dominant area coming in from 93. I'd prefer it doesn't look like shit.

If they could somehow get a version of the old residential back (preferably without the silver side) and totally redesign the office tower, while retaining the current base... then we'd be in business.

I like the ticker, not to mention the central bike tracks on Causeway St. It might be moot now with other planned supermarkets nearby, but a supermarket (or other convenience amenity) might not be a bad idea there. It would bring thousands of people and parking spaces within steps and eliminate the need for suburban commuters to make a stop on the way home. EG: Joe/Jane Schmoe of Wilmington stops at the North Station [Stop & Shop/Star/Roache Bros/Market Basket, etc] on the way to the train, does their grocery shopping, walks 150' to the train to Wilmington then another 100' to their car at Wilmington Depot and drives straight home. No need to stop at the Market Basket at the plaza a mile north of the depot.

Could the Apple logo in the render just represent potential billboard space? I haven't viewed the floor plans so I'm not sure if there is an actual retail space going there (and I'm too lazy to look right now).

It *could* but it *shouldn't.* Apple could sue for copyright infringement if the architecture firm did not get permission from Apple to use their logo. This is why logos in renders are really touchy subjects.

This is probably my favorite project in the city right now. Can anyone tell me if the Causeway street render above is accurate for the changes they will make, or is that just wishful thinking in the render? That road could obviously be improved, and I'd like to see it done soon because traffic of all kinds will increase over the next few years with all the new residents and businesses that will be in the area.

I like the ticker, not to mention the central bike tracks on Causeway St. It might be moot now with other planned supermarkets nearby, but a supermarket (or other convenience amenity) might not be a bad idea there. It would bring thousands of people and parking spaces within steps and eliminate the need for suburban commuters to make a stop on the way home. EG: Joe/Jane Schmoe of Wilmington stops at the North Station [Stop & Shop/Star/Roache Bros/Market Basket, etc] on the way to the train, does their grocery shopping, walks 150' to the train to Wilmington then another 100' to their car at Wilmington Depot and drives straight home. No need to stop at the Market Basket at the plaza a mile north of the depot.

Ah -- right -- while carrying a dozen bags of groceries and a large bag of dog food

I recently took a position with the garden, so I will be all over this! Hopefully santa brings a new camera.

This is probably my favorite project in the city right now. Can anyone tell me if the Causeway street render above is accurate for the changes they will make, or is that just wishful thinking in the render? That road could obviously be improved, and I'd like to see it done soon because traffic of all kinds will increase over the next few years with all the new residents and businesses that will be in the area.

They will be making significant, generally bike-friendly changes to Causeway along most (if not all) of its length. See, what is it, Connect Historic Boston? Here it is. The two images connect together, the lower one includes Causeway in front of the Garden.

Ah -- right -- while carrying a dozen bags of groceries and a large bag of dog food

I take significant issue with this type of example because it fails to take into account the ways in which one's grocery consumption would change in the presence of a green grocer convenient to one's commute. Walk into any given Whole Foods in Manhattan and you'll see people doing small trips and likely they're doing it more frequently than the single, 12-bag haul for a month that traditionally gets thrown into the back of an SUV that has never seen a dirt road that befits suburban lifestyles.

Instead, these people will add more frequent trips to take advantage of newfound proximity and convenience to a supermarket that they may not have in Suburbsville, MA. They'll likely still do the hauls to Big Box Club Mart for the volume-priced bag of dog food, but that mix is subject to personal and family needs and preferences. It's just irritating when people paint this picture of absurdity that so often is offered in this case as if to say suburbanites would never shop at an urban grocery store on the way home from work... /rant

yl8eWBs.jpg

In other news, I now have a pretty good view from my desk at my new office. Should probably invest in a good DSLR now for the show that'll be playing itself out over the next few years...

I'm still not sold on the design and it seems most other people aren't, either. How close are we to shovel-ready at this point?

It's just irritating when people paint this picture of absurdity that so often is offered in this case as if to say suburbanites would never shop at an urban grocery store on the way home from work... /rant

Some people think exactly like you. Some people think exactly like Whighlander. It's pretty irritating that either of you thinks you speak for the rest of us.

By the way, those bike-friendly changes look absolutely miserable. I have found that bike-friendly is almost always a zero-sum game, meaning as a driver/pedestrian, I get the short end of the stick every time these changes are enacted. If I was mayor, I'd probably just ban bikes altogether. Maybe I should run.....

Merry Christmas Everybody! :)

Some people think exactly like you. Some people think exactly like Whighlander. It's pretty irritating that either of you thinks you speak for the rest of us.

Woah...did I really come off as presumptuously speaking on behalf of everyone? I'd like to think that through my long-windedness, I was trying to inject some balance to an otherwise flippant comment that I often hear about 'urban grocery shopping', but maybe the message got lost somewhere...in the text before my closing sentence perhaps...legitimately can't tell if I'm being trolled here.

Yes, some people will choose to continue to do all their grocery shopping in the 'burbs and maybe some people will do a mix of both, but my main point wasn't that it's more superior for someone to do one or the other.

Moving on... I hadn't seen these cycle track plans before. Wish it would continue on Causeway and into North Boston via Commercial, but maybe that's a change that can happen down the road with ongoing political support.

The improved geometry of the fustercluck intersection with Lomasney Way, Merrmiac, Causeway, and Staniford is much welcomed. I still just wish there were a way to reconfigure the intersection to accommodate the new cycle track without making it insanely awkward for cyclists to turn right from Causeway onto Lomasney and to also continue from the Lomasney lane to the Merrimac track. I sat and stared at the geometry and sketched several different versions and just couldn't come up with a better way without introducing significantly more points of conflict. Wonder how they'd approach this in Amsterdam.

Unsure what the justification was for configuring the cycle track to be in the centre of Causeway. It just adds a really awkward junction at the Haverhill Street intersection. Are those loading bays planned for the north side of the street adjacent the tower or just on-street parking?

Mostly still bummed over the recent plans that've shown a missed opportunity for a direct path for commuters from the North Station underground complex into North Station itself. Huge mistake.

I've attended a few of the Connect Historic Boston meetings about the Causeway St design, and the idea behind the center cycle track is that if they put one-way cycle tracks on either side of the street or a two-way cycle track on one side, it would likely be overwhelmed with pedestrians for much of the time or have lots of people crossing it due to vehicles loading and unloading. Putting it in the center is supposed to reduce the amount of conflict that bicyclists encounter.

By the way, those bike-friendly changes look absolutely miserable. I have found that bike-friendly is almost always a zero-sum game, meaning as a driver/pedestrian, I get the short end of the stick every time these changes are enacted.
Yes, how dare the pampered, subsidized to the hilt drivers suffer any consequences whatsoever for being the noisiest, most dangerous, most space consuming, least efficient use of a given space. This is the equivalent of someone on welfare complaining the government is only buying them food, not fancy wine (this is a poor example, existing welfare in the US is far, FAR less egregious than subsidies to driving). How about you accept that you are given priority on 99% of roads and leave a little for the rest of us?
/rant

Before this degenerates, I would like to note that bicycle and pedestrian facilities do not generally face off as a zero-sum game unless done incorrectly. Done right, bicycle and pedestrian facilities are mutually beneficial to both modes.

The real trouble comes from speeding, multi-ton motor vehicles. They need a lot of space, and buffer space. That eats up most of the room on a city street and forces the use of protective measures such as barriers and complicated signalization that would simply be unnecessary if speeds were kept lower. Those protective measures severely compromise non-motor-vehicle space in ways that can irritate everyone.

So it might be correct to say that there is a zero-sum game between fast-moving, motor-powered transportation vs human-powered transportation. But beware of anyone trying to pit bikes against pedestrians -- they are usually trying to distract from the real problem, which actually stems from the desire to drive motorized vehicles at high speeds on city streets.

Back