The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

WOW...really opened a can of worms on that one? I should probably bear the bulk of the blame for engaging the quip about the 12-bag shopping run on the commute home...who'da thunk shopping habits was such a sensitive topic........

I think all we've been trying to get at is that people's shopping habits are flexible. Trying to re-rail the subject, this more generally ties back to these developments in the sense of trip generation projections that come out of a manual that isn't necessarily sensitive to urban density and transit accessibility. Many high-level planning decisions seem to be made with little understanding that people's habits are highly plastic in some respects. Building an urban supermarket means you can largely do away with on-site parking because people will primarily visit by foot (or bike), but if you're going by suburb-based trip generation rates, as some developers do, you end up justifying more parking and actually generating car trips because you're offering parking. I'm now shaking my fist at the Whole Foods and Stop and Shop in JP that we use that probably could've been larger if not for the often empty parking lot that sets them back from the street...

DigSciG there is a significant bit of relevance in the discussion which we just had

It concerns density and populations necessary to support supermarkets and similar high volume, low margin retailers

In most places inside the urban core these places still have and need a considerable amount of parking because there are not nearly enough people living within a walking distance to support these larger supermarkets and similar stores

You might rail against these types of large stores, which didn't exist when I was growing-up in central Connecticut in the 60's -- but they are here -- and barring a total transformation of our economy will be with us for the next generation at least

The key bit of data is the South Bay Center -- I doubt that any significant percentage of the people shopping at South Bay and filling its large parking lot are commuting in from the distant suburbs -- they are all relatively local and hence from the urbs or semi-urbs

A marker might be Home Depot which has a number of locations inside and on RT-128 -- essentially the boundary of the core densest part of Greater Boston

Edens is the owner of a part of the real estate at the South Bay Center home of Super Stop & Shop, Target & Home Depot among other major retailers -- on Edens website
http://edens.com/centers/MA/Boston/South-Bay-Center-II they provide a table with the following demographic data

Demographics

Distance 1 mi 3 mi 5 mi 10 mi 15 mi
Population 52,422 385,538 800,085 1,681,273 2,310,331
Households 20,342 161,631 331,103 683,847 924,371
Avg HH Income($) 58,368 80,257 81,217 88,237 93,052

The next nearest Home Depots are in: Somerville, Everett, Watertown, Chelsea, Quincy, West Roxbury, Quincy-II

• 1. South Bay/Boston #2679 (0.03 mi)
    5 Allstate RoadSouth Bay Ctr
    Boston, MA 02125

2. Somerville #2667 (4.38 mi)
    75 Mystic Ave
    Somerville, MA 02143

3. Everett,MA #2688 (4.83 mi)
    3 Mystic View Rd
    Everett, MA 02149

4. Watertown #2602 (5.28 mi)
    615 Arsenal Street
    Watertown, MA 02472

5. Chelsea,MA #8979 (5.61 mi)
    1100 Revere Beach Pkwy
    Chelsea, MA 02150

6. Quincy #2670 (5.67 mi)
    177 Willard St
    Quincy, MA 02169

7. W Roxbury #2665 (6.6 mi)
    1213 VFW Parkway
    West Roxbury, MA 02132

8. Quincy Ii #2608 (7.26 mi)
    465 Centre Street
    Quincy, MA 02169

From the demographic table -- It seems that you need about 150k households [a bit under the 3 mi circle around South Bay Center] to support a Home Depot and perhaps a bit less for a Target or Best Buy

WOW

Speaking of which, we're not getting any new parking in this, right? The garage already exists under the towers' footprint and residential/office parking will be lumped in with/carved out of that?

lol no 800 space expansion of the garage to over 2000 spaces total.

although government center garage coming down will eliminate 1100.

Last edited:

I wish they wd just combine the two and just go for Boston's tallest!

The Ground floor looks really cool.
Got some old Garden style exterior on the left side.

This might work.........The tower to the left looks okay the other two I'm not sure.

Not sure if this is the location to build Boston's Tallest Tower.
I'm thinking for the Tallest Towers probably should go:
South Station

This would never be boston's tallest because the north end association would never allow that. Im surprised it got approved at as tall as it is. Boston's new tallest would probably work in the heart of the financial district in some skinny condo tower. There's a couple empty lots around broad st I think. It'd be only like 825ft as it is but i think its possible down there. Less people to complain about it, as long as they can overcome shadows on the greenway/common

I think the Back Bay train station redevelopment has the best chance to be Boston's new tallest building

that wd b my choice ^ hope it happens in my life time :)

I think the Back Bay train station redevelopment has the best chance to be Boston's new tallest building

Agree -- it has transit, parking, shops, and the Pièce de résistance -- its in the tallest FAA zone -- 1000 ft

WTF happened to Charlestown and that building to the right of the highway where Converse is moving into in this picture? No Bunker Hill CC. Looks like Sudbury over there.

WTF happened to Charlestown and that building to the right of the highway where Converse is moving into in this picture? No Bunker Hill CC. Looks like Sudbury over there.

Boston Properties has also been kind enough to remove the Charles River Dam locks, apparently.

^ Yeah, everything to the left of the rendering is completely fanciful.

The whole thing is fanciful since it's still a parking lot.

The whole thing is fanciful since it's still a parking lot.

Well yeah. I meant that they didn't try to recreate the actual existing landscape accurately.

So with 1 Dalton groundbreaking underway (Hooray!) is this the next major project to break ground, or will Copley project, which reported a spring groundbreaking in August 6 2014 issue of Boston Business Journal.

I remember seeing somewhere (I thought) That this has a winter groundbreaking planned for 2015, but I can't find that reference anymore.

Anyone have any insight?

I have heard spring as well.

Boston Properties has also been kind enough to remove the Charles River Dam locks, apparently.

Folks ... its impossible to model everything. Give the renders some props.

cca

Garden complex signs up a star
Will be Boston's biggest supermarket
Friday, January 16, 2015
By: Donna Goodison

Star Market is coming to North Station. The West Bridgewater chain signed a long-term lease for a 63,000-square-foot grocery store in Boston Properties and Delaware North’s 
$950 million, mixed-use TD Garden project.

The supermarket will be downtown Boston’s largest, and will potentially cap a 16-year push by the North End/West End/Beacon Hill Supermarket Committee to bring an affordable grocery to their neighborhoods.

“My committee is very pleased that it includes the supermarket,” committee chairwoman Lia Tota said. “We just hope — and this remains to be seen — that Star Market is willing to keep the prices as low as possible, because the idea of fighting for this was not just having a supermarket.”

The committee plans to work with Star Market through the design phase.

continued ... http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2015/01/garden_complex_signs_up_a_star

That's good news for North Enders looking for a quick walk to a supermarket. The WFs in Charlestown and the West End are just at the outer range of what's comfortable to walk with two heavy grocery bags. The people looking for "prices as low as possible" though are in for a rude awakening. Shaws/Starmarket usually don't do well in side by side pricing comparisons. I can't imagine they'd somehow manage to be even lower while occupying major downtown real estate. Not to mention that the quality of product seems to vary wildly from store to store.

That's good news for North Enders looking for a quick walk to a supermarket. The WFs in Charlestown and the West End are just at the outer range of what's comfortable to walk with two heavy grocery bags. The people looking for "prices as low as possible" though are in for a rude awakening. Shaws/Starmarket usually don't do well in side by side pricing comparisons. I can't imagine they'd somehow manage to be even lower while occupying major downtown real estate. Not to mention that the quality of product seems to vary wildly from store to store.

It's cheaper than Roche Bros or Whole Foods, and I doubt Market Basket could afford the rent...

I think it is reasonable to have a healthy skepticism about any proposed project in Boston based on many factors here. Until the structure is going up, I personally don't believe it is going to happen. I have seen too many "proposed" projects fall by wayside.

That said with this news I am 100% confident that this project is going to break ground soon, because this is something (The Supermarket) that neighborhood has coveted for so long. It is a huge boon to West End/Garden area and I just' can't see any "roadblocks" derailing it at this point.

Back