The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

It's cheaper than Roche Bros or Whole Foods, and I doubt Market Basket could afford the rent...

Yeah. Star Market is cheaper than those, although it can't come close to Market Basket's prices. Market Basket doesn't do leases. They like to own the shopping center that the store is in, or at least own the specific building themselves. Their real estate assets are enormous.

As a resident of East Cambridge, I walk/bike to the ghetto "Star" Market on Rte 28.

After living in Boston for 7 years and enjoying most everything about the city, I realize that I'm disappointed with grocery options. I was spoiled in my last city for too long having 3 Wegmans within <20 minutes' drive and two stores similar to M. Basket, though much nicer operationally than most Baskets, <10 minutes' drive or 15 minutes' walk. Then I lived near the Roche Brothers in Burlington for two years (walking distance). Argh. At least we've got the farmers' market for seasonal fruits and vegetables.

Until the structure is going up, I personally don't believe it is going to happen. I have seen too many "proposed" projects fall by wayside.

With the new administration, it's time you hit the reset button on your skepticism. You do realize we are in the process of doubling the amount of 200m towers in this city, right? This isn't Menino's NIMBY-dominated Boston that we have known for the past 20 years. It's the dawn of a new era.

Which just happenes to coincide with an upcycle in the real estate market.

As a resident of East Cambridge, I walk/bike to the ghetto "Star" Market on Rte 28.

After living in Boston for 7 years and enjoying most everything about the city, I realize that I'm disappointed with grocery options. I was spoiled in my last city for too long having 3 Wegmans within <20 minutes' drive and two stores similar to M. Basket, though much nicer operationally than most Baskets, <10 minutes' drive or 15 minutes' walk. Then I lived near the Roche Brothers in Burlington for two years (walking distance). Argh. At least we've got the farmers' market for seasonal fruits and vegetables.

I've been in Boston for four years and agree that groceries (food, generally) are the city's Achilles' heel. I'm eager to see if the public market at Haymarket makes a broader range of higher quality vegetables available at a reasonable price--current farmers' markets don't fill that niche.

All the more reason for optimism. How many upcycles have came and went while the city was forcing developers to go through multi-year processes that ultimately rendered promising developments unfeasible? "Strike while the iron is hot" was a phrase unfamiliar to the last administration. There was too much obstructionism at the top.

I agree New administration, new way of doing things

Perfect timing, unlike that last upcycle in the mid 2000.

I like the ticker, not to mention the central bike tracks on Causeway St. It might be moot now with other planned supermarkets nearby, but a supermarket (or other convenience amenity) might not be a bad idea there. It would bring thousands of people and parking spaces within steps and eliminate the need for suburban commuters to make a stop on the way home. EG: Joe/Jane Schmoe of Wilmington stops at the North Station [Stop & Shop/Star/Roache Bros/Market Basket, etc] on the way to the train, does their grocery shopping, walks 150' to the train to Wilmington then another 100' to their car at Wilmington Depot and drives straight home. No need to stop at the Market Basket at the plaza a mile north of the depot.

Ah -- right -- while carrying a dozen bags of groceries and a large bag of dog food

I wonder if they'll sell large bags of dog food there.

C'mon dude. Not again.

Sorry... Couldn't resist :)

I've been in Boston for four years and agree that groceries (food, generally) are the city's Achilles' heel. I'm eager to see if the public market at Haymarket makes a broader range of higher quality vegetables available at a reasonable price--current farmers' markets don't fill that niche.

Tombstone -- Unfortunately, outside of seasonal local and quasi-local produce [e.g. hydroponic tomatoes from Maine or Canada] -- Boston is at the tail-end of the fresh food distribution pipeline from California, Florida and even New Jersey

What you seek -- High Quality and Broad Selection of produce translates into high prices unless the volume is very large -- which typically means a very big store with lots of parking -- typically in the suburbs [e.g. Wegmans] or at least the outskirts of downtown such as South Bay.

To have a large store downtown you have to take into account the high cost of land and high cost of downtown construction -- pushing all of the costs to the upper end -- and thus your "Goldilox moment" of low prices for high quality fruits and vegetables are just not going to be happening

In the end you have a trade-off -- Haymarket for low quality and whatever they couldn't sell to their wholesale customers -- or you go to Whole Foods, Trader Joes or Wegmans for quality and selection and high prices

Just heard on WBZ that this was being resubmitted tonite to the BRA as a single tower?? Anyone know the details?

your probably right they said originally it was two towers now one but I thought the Basketball city was already presented as a single tower if Im wrong my bad!

I'm not in the car and no access to a am radio if someone wants to tune in they repeat their news all day everyday :)

So as it turns out, Boston02124 was really referring to Baskeball City. Since we've bumped the thread, are there any updates on the Garden Towers?

Back