The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

I don't see how the city government is to blame for Delaware North's failure to develop their own property.

I'm asking you (mostly Rifleman, but others too) to look forward, not backward. Nobody's going to re-erect the old Garden or the Green Line elevated. We need to look at the site as it is today, and talk about how it can best be built upon now.

If you want lots of people on the streets, an 'urban-form' supermarket and a Target seem like pretty good choices. I'd like to see a hotel component as well.

Ron: This is great synergy with the Garden. This is the AB version of Pitino screaming "Larry Bird is not walking though that door, Kevin McHale is not walking through that door...the negativity around here sucks."

Causeway Street sucks right now, yes. I'm sure there will be changes as part of this project to enhance the streetscape. (Damn you GSA).

Before we get all teary eyed for Causeway Street up until 1995, it mostly sucked. The old Garden sucked (not the teams inside), the waiting area for the train inside the station sucked, driving down Causeway Street sucked owing to all the big poles in the middle of the street. Causeway Street was dark for many parts of the year. Upstairs on the Green Line platform was cold, with minimal shelter. The Garden was a dump and forced anyone who wanted to see a concert between 1983 to 1995 around here outside of Great Woods was forced to haul ass out to Worcester. Oh, yes nothing like having to go 40 miles to see The Cure when the arena 5 T stops from your apartment, which also was at a transportation nexus, didn't have the proper AC to handle an event for 4 to 5 months of the year.

As far as Boston becoming too corporate. (Not you saying this Ron) Really? You wan't a town that isn't corporate, hop on the Red Line and then alight yourself at Ashmont, take the good old BAT bus to the end of the line. Walk off the bus and welcome yourself to Brockton. Great old timey buildings, decayed to just the right amount of lived in look some people on this post pine incessently and not a whole lot of corporate around. Good luck, watch your wallet, just like you had to do around North Station when the B's and C's weren't in town under the gritty steel of the Lechmere elevated.

If Boston Properties and Mr. Lockout Enabler can pull this off, a whole section of the city, which has been on life support since the artery went up and the West End came down in the 1950's will be back.

Nicely put, John. You summarized all of my opinions on these issues (the urban grit argument and the corporate) into a great post.

And once this project is underway, maybe GSA can be shamed into commercially leasing the perimeter of the O'Neill building -- which was designed to have storefronts, just like the State Transportation Building at Park Plaza.

Never happen. Security. Hence the big balls in front.

I don't think any high-security offices such as FBI are in this building.

I am sure you are right. ;)

This is BIG! In two years this area could look entirely different. Fingers crossed on the towers here. If the ground floor is good and the towers are even just above average this area will be great.

HTML:
http://www.boston.com/businessupdates/2013/05/16/towers-proposed-front-garden/KSWfKTvmWGkmHLk7ODKB8O/story.html

Towers proposed in front of TD Garden
E-mail | Print | Comments (0) 05/16/2013 12:51 PM
0 0

Amused
Psyched
Shocked
Sad
Annoyed
By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

A Boston development team filed plans Thursday to build two towers in front of the TD Garden with 300,000 square feet of stores and restaurants, 500 residences, office space and a 200-room hotel.

The project, by Delaware North Cos. and Boston Properties, would dramatically reshape the entrance to the Garden, creating a modern, retail-filled gateway with shops and restaurants. The complex would contain 1.7 million square feet of total space, making it one of the largest developments in the city.

The developers submitted an outline of their proposal to the Boston Redevelopment Authority Thursday. They still must undergo a months-long review process, but indicated they hope to start construction early next year.

If approved, the project will make good on long-delayed plans to redevelop a 2.8 -acre site along Causeway Street where the old Boston Garden once stood. The site has been used for parking since the new arena opened in the mid 1990s.

The documents filed Thursday describe a towering complex that would rise over a shared podium of retail stores. The complex would have 600,000 square feet of office space, 500 luxury residences and a hotel. The exact height of the complex was not disclosed, but a brochure recently circulated in the commercial real estate community indicated it would be at least 400 feet.

Although the mix of retailers won’t be finalized for months, the brochure shows Target occupying multiple levels at the base of the complex, along with a supermarket that would have a prominent entrance on Causeway Street. The supermarket is not named in the brochure, but Stop & Shop has been looking at different locations in the neighborhood for several years.

The project is one of several large redevelopments that would transform huge swaths of property in the city’s West End. Collectively, developers are proposing to build more than 1,800 residences, office towers, public parks, stores, and restaurants. Five large, mixed-use projects are planned for lots immediately surrounding the TD Garden.

The area’s revival has unfolded in fits and starts over the years. It started with the Big Dig and redesign of North Station, and then attracted its first significant private investment with construction of the Avenir apartment complex at the corner of Canal and Causeway streets.

After development stalled during the economic downturn, the area got a huge boost recently when Converse Inc. agreed to move its corporate headquarters to the Lovejoy Wharf development off North Washington Street. The project by the Beal/Related Cos. will bring hundreds of new workers to the property and result in construction of a residential building, stores, a large waterfront park, and a new section along the city’s Harborwalk.

Nearby, developers AvalonBay Communities Inc. and Equity Residential are each planning 500-unit apartment buildings, and Simpson Housing is building a 286-unit apartment and retail building overlooking the Zakim Bridge.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

If we actually get the glass-and-steel towers above warehouse brick pedestals, this will be awesome. I normally don't like enclosed retail pavilions, but it looks like the retail will still face outwards toward Causeway and that the covered passage will be a useful amenity.

It's our very own Maple Leaf Square :)

Seriously, this could be great. If I hit the $550 million Powerball on Friday, I will personally finance it.

If we actually get the glass-and-steel towers above warehouse brick pedestals, this will be awesome. I normally don't like enclosed retail pavilions, but it looks like the retail will still face outwards toward Causeway and that the covered passage will be a useful amenity.

Ya, and I think that will stay because there will be a enough of a pull from people on the outside, north end, west end, walkers from downtown and then the flow of the station on the inside that the interior and exterior focus should work. I like how they have the brick to match, and hopefully its quality (the place in the picture is actually half time). I hope it turns out like the rendering, but we will see.

I can't wait to see what offerings McDuh's (or maybe McDull's) has! I just hope it's not in competition with the fare at Roxy's!

So happy about this. With this, the Nashua St Residences, 399 Congress, and all of the existing construction at LoveJoy, Victor, Merano, the area is going to be packed 24/7.

Important note: Target pulled out of this and DTX.

That design is terrible. This is a place for a landmark tower.

I can't wait to see what offerings McDuh's (or maybe McDull's) has! I just hope it's not in competition with the fare at Roxy's!

I'm thinking McDuff's (homage to Homer Simpson's favorite beer).

That design is terrible. This is a place for a landmark tower.

The street level looks good. You can't even see the tower in the BRA filing.

The street level looks good. You can't even see the tower in the BRA filing.

Agreed. Has anyone seen a rendering of the proposed towers? If true, the information indicating that the towers may only be in the 400 foot range would be a disappointment. This is an area where a developer could and should go much higher.

Back