The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

No, the street level looks terrible. Why does even a new building need to conform to the ridiculous old/new mash up? I mean if there were buildings there OK but this is a completely new building, a major train station, and a grand entrance to the Garden. This should have a coherent design, not some mishmash. This looks like they were afraid to even try anything dramatic.

This should be Boston's Time Warner Center, not some faux facade-ectomy.

This is not what I was expecting but I don't completely hate it. The brick portion is small and PoMo in the traditional sense (more an ironic gesture toward the past than anything).

My biggest wish would be that the entry arch be wider horizontally, maybe, for an even grander entrance.

Agreed. Has anyone seen a rendering of the proposed towers? If true, the information indicating that the towers may only be in the 400 foot range would be a disappointment. This is an area where a developer could and should go much higher.

This article mentions at least one of the towers could go to 600 feet, which would be impressive. (In my mind, though, I'd rather see one tower significantly higher than the other. 750'?)

Construction is planned to unfold in multiple phases. Jacobs, who declined to provide a price tag for the project, said the work will start with the retail base and a new glass concourse into the Garden. Next will come the offices, hotel and residences, which will be situated in separate towers over the retail shops. The exact height of the towers is not yet known, but Jacobs said the complex could top out at 600 feet.

Could this possibly be a corporate relocation for Delaware North?

Their Buffalo lease expires in 2015...

Not to derail this too much, but a friend posted this tonight:

14082_10151557537190365_1641222334_n.jpg

If this plan comes to fruition, we'll have a pretty dramatic before and after series.

This is not what I was expecting but I don't [...] hate it.

My biggest wish would be that the entry arch be wider horizontally, maybe, for an even grander entrance.

Ditto on both counts.

Should be Boston's Time Warner Center, but don't you realize that North Station will take decades to generate the necessary foot traffic for such a place?

North Station is on the ass end of town. Who would be up there if it wasn't for the Garden and the T? It would be like Harrison Avenue 25 years ago.

It would have also been cool if it gets knocked over in Cloverleaf 2.

It's not really fair to say the area would be nothing if it weren't for the 30,000 daily commuters that go there plus the 20 k that go 150 days a year

One thing about the renderings; no Celtics stuff. Always a tenant, never an owner. I always thought Wyc and Steve would grab the air rights over the T yard between the Fort Point Channel and the Broadway Bridge and finally say see ya to the Jacobs family.

One thing about the renderings; no Celtics stuff. Always a tenant, never an owner. I always thought Wyc and Steve would grab the air rights over the T yard between the Fort Point Channel and the Broadway Bridge and finally say see ya to the Jacobs family.

I'm guessing they chose the Bruins for local team spirit in this playoff push!

According to the Globe article the area will get 1800 new residences. I did some quick math and I come up with 2439 new residences for the Bulfinch Triangle/North Station area.
Lovejoy Wharf 100 residences 315 parking spaces
Nashua Str. Res. 503 residences 270 parking spaces
Garden Garage 500 residences 850 parking spaces
Victor 286 residences 121 parking spaces.
TD Garden/NS 500 residences 800 parking spaces
One Canal 320 residences 159 parking spaces
Merano 230 residences 184 parking spaces
Totals 2439 residences 2699 parking spaces under construction and/or proposed. And we thought the Fenway was hot.

Can we kick the Fed out of the Tip Oneil Building and redevelope that parcel while we're at it?!

Very exciting. The renderings released yesterday seem to indicate "mall-caliber" stores in the first few levels of the north station entrance. Wonder what kind of knock-on effect these projects will have on the ground-story retail along causeway, canal, etc.

Also, I think one point of the triangle basically ends at the government center garage. Imagine what the area would look like if a major (re: tall) development finally takes off there.

Can we kick the Fed out of the Tip Oneil Building and redevelope that parcel while we're at it?!

Yes please. I'd love to see the functionality of that building be moved into a taller, slender tower on part of the site, then another tower with some combination of offices/residential on the other part of the site. Seems like the parcel is a big enough foot print to do something really interesting and provide some good pedestrian connections between all of the other new developments.

No, the street level looks terrible. Why does even a new building need to conform to the ridiculous old/new mash up? I mean if there were buildings there OK but this is a completely new building, a major train station, and a grand entrance to the Garden. This should have a coherent design, not some mishmash. This looks like they were afraid to even try anything dramatic.

This should be Boston's Time Warner Center, not some faux facade-ectomy.

Can we just summarize this insight by inventing a new word: fauxcadectomy (When that ends up on Architizer I will demand royalties...)

Actually, though, I'm very OK with the mix of new-old and new-new. The way they've designed the street level fits perfectly with the vernacular of the neighborhood and lends a continuity to the streetwall that I find very appealing.

Reminds me of the vision or idea Kraft had for Patriots place in the Seaport District.
This should work....
Hopefully they get some momentum with a ESPN Zone between the Garden & the Street get the area buzzing before the games.

I am not crazy how 101 Canal feels right now. Hopefully the blend with the other developments will help.
101 Canal feels like a (public housing mixed project community)

Reminds me of the vision or idea Kraft had for Patriots place in the Seaport District.
This should work....
Hopefully they get some momentum with a ESPN Zone between the Garden & the Street get the area buzzing before the games.

I am not crazy how 101 Canal feels right now. Hopefully the blend with the other developments will help.
101 Canal feels like a (public housing mixed project community)

ESPN got out of the themed restaurant business in 2010. The only two remaining ESPN zones are in California and were sold in 2010 by Disney to Anschutz Entertainment Group.

^ Damn. Boston could definitely use an ESPN Zone to remove some of that overly corporate feel the city has, right, Rife?

Back