The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Isn't the developer supposed to be paying for a brand-new North Station as part of the project?

Really? I thought that refresh was supposed to come much later??

Spherical bollards in front of the Federal Building are on their way out.

So the BRA has a render on their project page for this that came from a recent unreleased BCDC presentation...

I'm currently pressing the BRA as to why they are not releasing the BCDC presentation via the public documents on the website. On Twitter, they said to e-mail them and they would send the pres. That's very different from releasing on the web. I want to know why.

3822d031-0b32-40d8-a811-da1e6db9d850

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/the-boston-garden

Shorter residential tower than expected. Awful transition between office tower and base. Ugly and disappointing!!!!! Ever since my visit to Pitt and Philly, I can't get over how lousy our skyline is, and this doesn't help!!!

Shorter residential tower than expected. Awful transition between office tower and base. Ugly and disappointing!!!!! Ever since my visit to Pitt and Philly, I can't get over how lousy our skyline is, and this doesn't help!!!

This will really make Causeway Street hummm -- like Houston!

Is this the most recent render?

Office tower looks like a fat blob and the residential tower looks 400' instead of 600'

So the BRA has a render on their project page for this that came from a recent unreleased BCDC presentation...

I'm currently pressing the BRA as to why they are not releasing the BCDC presentation via the public documents on the website. On Twitter, they said to e-mail them and they would send the pres. That's very different from releasing on the web. I want to know why.

Thanks for pressing on this. There are regularly changes to projects from these presentations that never get put online and it annoys me to no end. Not sure if this is the thread to expand on a broader effort on this, but I would be willing to be part of a letter-writing campaign or something.

Thanks for pressing on this. There are regularly changes to projects from these presentations that never get put online and it annoys me to no end. Not sure if this is the thread to expand on a broader effort on this, but I would be willing to be part of a letter-writing campaign or something.

So I had some back-and-forth with the BRA spokesperson:

IQubed Design ‏@IQubedDesign
@BostonRedevelop where did main image here (http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/the-boston-garden …) come from? Not in any public docs I could find...

BRA ‏@BostonRedevelop
@IQubedDesign looks like it's from a recent BCDC presentation. Email us at bramarketing@boston.gov and we'll send it to you.

‏@datadyne007
@BostonRedevelop @IQubedDesign Why isn't the BCDC presentation being uploaded to the public documents for the project?

BRA @BostonRedevelop
@datadyne007 @IQubedDesign They're typically large files and we don't get a ton of requests for them. Always happy to share when we do tho.

@datadyne007
@BostonRedevelop @IQubedDesign Many of us go to BRA web to get public docs for projects. We have no way of knowing BCDC pres are avail 1/2

@datadyne007
@BostonRedevelop @IQubedDesign If there is no notice about them. 2/2

BRA @BostonRedevelop
@datadyne007 We always advertise BCDC meetings on our calendar. Thanks for your feedback about posting presentations.

IQubed Design ‏@IQubedDesign
@datadyne007 @BostonRedevelop seconded. It would be great if BCDC presentations could be uploaded, but thanks anyway! Will email.

I e-mailed them requesting the BCDC presentation. I will post when (if?) I get it.

Update: Nick Martin at the BRA just sent it to me.

Let's bump this onto a new page, Data. Post your findings!

Need more pics!

You had to go on a trip to realize that Boston's skyline is substandard (for a city of its size/stature)?

That said, Pitt's skyline isn't better, but Philly's >>

ARCLIGHT!!!! ARCLIGHT!!!! ARCLIGHT!!!!

Boston, you have have no idea how awesome this is going to be!!!

I <3 Boston Properties.

Data you're a saint, thanks brother

The base is incredible. The towers are not. The residential tower being shortened below Nashua Street Residences makes me want to jump off the Tobin Bridge.

You had to go on a trip to realize that Boston's skyline is substandard (for a city of its size/stature)?

That said, Pitt's skyline isn't better, but Philly's >>

Yes, because in terms of 500'+ buildings, Boston has one of the stronger skylines.

Pitt has a spectacular arrangement of buildings, with great peaks and valleys and a solid set of old towers.

Philly, while (somehow) having like 5-6 less 500'+ towers than Boston, still blows it away because of the muscle at the top. (as well as the DENSITY DENSITY DENSITY) Boston needs a couple nice new spires in the financial district that are on par with the Hancock for height and impact.

Also, Nick's and my e-mail exchange had a positive impact. He's reaching out to the web team to try to get BCDC presentations posted more often as well as tweet out alerts they are available.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the fast response! My (and my friends who monitor developments) main concern is that projects time and time again get approved by the BRA and then drastically altered following the approval. The public typically doesn’t get informed of these changes and is surprised when the finished product appears differently than when it was approved. This could be eased by uploading the BCDC presentations to the website along with notification tweets that they have been posted. This way, the public will be aware of how the project is changing by means of materials, massing, program, ground level activation, etc. This would help the BRA’s on-going transparency image problem.

Thanks for your time,
-Tim
Thanks for the constructive feedback! I've reached out to our web team to see how we might be able to do exactly what you're proposing.

I completely understand the issue. Projects are typically approved pending design review, and it's not always clear to the public what happens during the design review process. As I mentioned in my tweet, we've gotten much better about advertising BCDC meetings, and the next logical step is to make presentation materials more readily available.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions or are looking for a specific presentation.

Nick

Its nice, but too short.

I know it's a minor detail, but I liked the older rendering of the new entrance with the angled roof. It gave the building a good transition between the two sections and also gave it a modern look that blended well with the "old look" of the facade.

Either way, though, I can't wait until this is built.

I don't mind the chubs building but I think it's going to be all about the impact of the glass in the day and the lighting arrangement at night, as this building stands to be on TV a lot a lot due to it's location

Thanks, Data for posting all this. So, does anyone have a clue as to what's the timeline for the complete build out? Seems with all the phases, this area is going to be one big hot mess of construction for many years.

Back