The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

It's a shame the moved away from the left side of the new podium looking like the old garden (complete with sinage). That was a fantastic little homage that's lost in this iteration.

For reference:
15cdb41.jpg

Loved the NORTH STATION BOSTON GARDEN throwback

Last edited:

I love the podium and am not going to worry about the towers for now. I find it telling that the Phase I renders are rich and detailed while the Phase II and III renders show pretty generic boxes. Phase I is breaking ground soon (next week if rumors are to be believed) so I feel confident that what we see in the renders is what we'll get. Phases II and III are still years away, so there will likely be (multiple?) redesigns before those towers rise.

I will hope that this keeps up the recent trend of the actual tower being taller than what is rendered.

Nice work Data, thanks for sharing!

Looks like our next plateau is forming nicely. ;)

I really like the base but I dont know how you find the towers to anything more than very disappointing. Their both fat boring boxes and I thought the residential was going to be significantly taller giving those three towers some height differentiation not creating a new plateau over there.

On a micro scale its great for causeway st but on the macro its quite awful.

I really like the base but I dont know how you find the towers to anything more than very disappointing. Their both fat boring boxes and I thought the residential was going to be significantly taller giving those three towers some height differentiation not creating a new plateau over there.

On a micro scale its great for causeway st but on the macro its quite awful.

The towers are definitely evolving in the right direction. The first iteration was just terrible. These are tolerable, though cliche. Also, the reduced height on the residential tower - meh. At that height, you have to toy with getting the economics to work. It's still a tall, dense tower and much less ugly than the first go around.

Is there any mention of height in the new docs? I'm not am seeing anything.

Thanks for the pics!

My email conversation with David Carson at the BCDC regarding Seaport Square went like this:

John:

I am expecting an electronic file which will eventually be posted...but the timing of that is uncertain. The BCDC webpage needs a more certain caretaker to ensure that design material is visible, especially with projects such as Seaport Square that have no other public process. As it is, the Design Committee meetings do not require electronic submissions....everything is assumed to be a work in progress. Submissions are required at the beginning and over time more regularly at the end of BCDC review. The results there should be very similar to anything approved at the BRA Board, which in fact are visible.

I don't think we should have to go through the BRA for this type of information - I see them as a separate entity.

Also, Nick's and my e-mail exchange had a positive impact. He's reaching out to the web team to try to get BCDC presentations posted more often as well as tweet out alerts they are available.

Doesn't look like it will break 500' looking at the height relative to Avalon NS.

The towers are definitely evolving in the right direction. The first iteration was just terrible. These are tolerable, though cliche. Also, the reduced height on the residential tower - meh. At that height, you have to toy with getting the economics to work. It's still a tall, dense tower and much less ugly than the first go around.

Boston's skyline problem has always been its lack of variation in height. (well, among other problems) It has no peaks and valleys. Just a dull plateau of disappointment. This current iteration only makes it worse.

No. I literally posted the entire presentation (minus the title slide). It was all graphics.

Boston's skyline problem has always been its lack of variation in height. (well, among other problems) It has no peaks and valleys. Just a dull plateau of disappointment. This current iteration only makes it worse.
Not getting into this.

Not getting into this.

How about..... It's shortsighted to cut back on the residential over one of the 2 largest transportation hubs in town? In fact, I'd say most of the residential buildup in that area has been very shortsighted. Most new buildings in the area could/should have been more units, bigger, and taller.

You'd think we weren't having a housing crisis here the way they cut this one back.

Awaiting your updated prediction of ground-breaking:

Revising this to August now. ;)

PS. Someone somewhere said a formal groundbreaking is happening September 8th?

You'd think we weren't having a housing crisis here the way they cut this one back.

Completely agree although just to play devils advocate - could they be worried about a luxury housing glut? Surely there's a housing crisis but not in the $3K studio range.

Also, where's the supermarket render?

The closest thing seems to be the program stacking diagram, which indicates 30, 8, and 21 stories, respectively, for the residence, hotel, and office; the podium appears to be roughly 7 stories. Contrast this with the 44 residential stories above the podium shown in iterations from this time last year.

Elkus Manfredi was listed as architect back in 2013 but I don't see any name associated with those renderings, no?

Elkus Manfredi was listed as architect back in 2013 but I don't see any name associated with those renderings, no?

The slides all show Gensler in collaboration with SCB Architects.

Elkus looks to have been thankfully fired.

Last edited:

Awaiting your updated prediction of ground-breaking:

PS. Someone somewhere said a formal groundbreaking is happening September 8th?

Yes that was me! Sept 8th all vehicles need to be out of the lot, however i suspect there will be soil testing etc...

So does anyone think this has a chance of the residential tower getting its height back before they start that phase?

Incredible base. Towers are eh. I do agree that since the towers will be built later on that those are hopefully placeholders. Even if they aren't there is still a high likelihood they will be changed by the time they are built. This is going to be one of the greatest entrance ways of any hockey/basketball stadiums.

Back