The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Great work! I don't mind it either way, tbh.

Thanks. I think this actually works pretty well with both spires when I was adding the second one it made me think of 345 California Center in SF although the Batman Building is a better example. I think this works surprisingly well with two spires.

Thanks. I think this actually works pretty well with both spires when I was adding the second one it made me think of 345 California Center in SF although the Batman Building is a better example. I think this works surprisingly well with two spires.

Agreed!

A 2nd spire also removes a lot of squatness from the side view. From the side, the single spire looks pretty terrible actually.

http://i.imgur.com/zZHqXbQ.gif

Seriously, there is no better movie theater I've been to than the ArcLight Hollywood & Cinerama Dome. As a frequent movie-goer (70+ trips to the movie theater annually), getting an ArcLight Cinema with this project is such exciting news!

It is exciting. ArcLight is a genuinely different product--they show a mix of art house and mainstream movies and are very upscale. They say cinemas don't make money on the films but on the popcorn--ArcLight's model takes this observation and runs with it. You're really paying for a posh environment. It's too expensive to be my routine cinema, but if you want to impress a date...

When you count the AMC Boston Common and the Regal Fenway, we will have 5 major, full-sized theaters on the T. Makes one wonder if we really can support all of these theaters.

Why not? With all the empty nesters and millennial professionals flocking to the city and residential inventory booming, it's time for Boston to put on its big boy pants.

Now, if someone could only save the T........

Why not put complementary spires on both faces?

Good idea....and when you study the "spire", you can clearly see that it does not look like a terribly expensive design addition, so cost shouldn't be prohibitive either.....Plus they can justify the cost with the "savings" from when they knocked 20 floors off the other tower.

Could someone clarify for me what exactly is going on for the towers in this project, height, when they will be built etc. I feel like there have been 5 different iterations of this project

The current version that will be built unless they change the design again is the one with the shorter residential tower that will be about 500' tall IIRC. The hotel portion is directly attached to that building and the office tower is probably around 520' to the roof with a large spire attached to the northern face of the building.

330keao.jpg

This is the current version of the project with Avalon North Station included.

The image of the office tower with two spires was an edit I made to see how it would look because people thought it would be an interesting idea.

Boston’s Big Night Entertainment and longtime concert promoter Don Law is negotiating to land a 30,000-square-foot, multilevel entertainment venue at The Hub on Causeway project under development by Delaware North and Boston Properties on the old Boston Garden site.

“It’s a nightclub, restaurant, concert venue and bowling facility combination,” Law, the president of Live Nation New England, told the Herald yesterday. “(Big Night founder) Ed (Kane) is going to run it, and … we’re doing the music.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...e_law_plan_venue_in_new_north_station_complex

Does anyone else think that the proposed office tower looks like a taller version of 888 Boylston?

Does anyone else think that the proposed office tower looks like a taller version of 888 Boylston?

Now that you say it.... I can see it.

Better news is the addition of a smaller or mid-size music venue on site. City needs these in a huge way, and that really helps make an area an entertainment destination. A vertical Patriots Place for the inner city. (Based on there being a movie theater and a live music venue ala Showcase and Showcase Live.)

It would be great if this project could include a small/mid size live music venue. Perhaps between 500 and 1,000 capacity. Not much in the way of places to catch some live tunes in that part of town. Ditto for the Seaport. In fact, there really are no music venues of that size in the downtown area. Paradise and the House of Blues are the closest thing and they are nowhere near there. It's about time downtown gets something like the Sinclair in Cambridge and this would be a perfect spot for it given all the transportation options in and around the building. EDIT: Just saw Stellarfun's post and that's what I get for not reading the entire thread before responding. Great to hear! Make it happen Don Law!

Whoa... Don Law. Haven't heard that name in years. He's still around?

They clearly have the "glass boxiness" in common, but I think 888 Boylston seems more impactful (size notwithstanding) because it packs more interesting elements/details in a smaller space.

Neighborhood opposition

EDIT: For the record, Boston Properties is very pro-iconic, pro-height, and pro-different per their sentiments during the meeting. It does not seem at all as if they are worried about going big on a project like this; remember this is the same developer constructing Salesforce Tower in San Francisco (1,000-footer at a train station). They told me they'd of been pleased to build a Salesforce Tower here if they could.

So they knocked it down to appease neighborhood opposition, even tho it was approved at 600'? I kno I should drop the height issue, and this will be my last post on the subject, but I don't see why they lowered the height from what was approved. Why do they care about neighborhood opposition if it's already approved? Are they hoping to build another tower in the area and want to get on the neighbors good side? I just don't get it and it wouldn't bother me so much at other locations but this is a unique spot and even tho I like the latest renders and I was hoping for something more iconic here. Won't get the chance to do this over.

There are several other nearby sites that could support tall towers so it could be that they have long term plans for a bigger development and want to be on the neighborhoods good side. The FAA limit in this area is quite high so they may be thinking they can make it up with a future tower, but who knows. I can't think of another better explanation.

Back