The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

i have people coming in to town (on the cheap, or cheap-ish) pretty often. AC Hotel in Cambridge, and Hampton Inn in Cambridge are around $160 a night, give or take. The Charles River Inn on Soldiers Field Road is pretty central (albeit not super T-Accessible) and that's a go-to. Like $135/night

^ Hotels and their nightly rates belong in another thread.

good call. i got caught up in the tangent and was trying to be helpful. my bad

Oh boy its on now. The towers are cool but this podium is EXACTLY what we need to wrap this area up. This is going to go from a pretty nice stadium thats surrounded by a parking lot to a sports mecca and one of the best examples of a seamless urban fabric stadium in the country. I cant even think of a stadium that fits better into the surroundings than this will. The stadium is going to be hidden behind (the city) if you will and its going to be amazing to have to go through the urban fabric of the bulfinch triangle to get to it.

If executed right this is going to be absolute perfection. Not to mention we have a little place called fenway park, that just so happens to have a new city going in around it, and then Boston landing is going to give the garden teams some of the best facilities in the country as well. We already dominate sports (team wise) were about to dominate with our facilities as well. They deserve it too.

Last edited:
Oh boy its on now. The towers are cool but this podium is EXACTLY what we need to wrap this area up. This is going to go from a pretty nice stadium thats surrounded by a parking lot to a sports mecca and one of the best examples of a seamless urban fabric stadium in the country. I cant even think of a stadium that fits better into the surroundings than this will. The stadium is going to be hidden behind (the city) if you will and its going to be amazing to have to go through the urban fabric of the bulfinch triangle to get to it.

If executed right this is going to be absolute perfection. Not to mention we have a little place called fenway park, that just so happens to have a new city going in around it, and then Boston landing is going to give the garden teams some of the best facilities in the country as well. We already dominate sports (team wise) were about to dominate with our facilities as well. They deserve it too.

Agree 1000%. This is going to clean up the area, make it a day-to-day destination, and be downright cool. AND useful because of a grocery store. Brilliant move, towers or not.

Good points all, stick.

I would say TD Garden would move up a notch to the level of Madison Square Garden and the Verizon Center in DC (both downtown indoor stadiums over transit lines).

Contrast what a winner Boston/NYC and DC are compared to the desperate loser cities of Baltimore/Atlanta, etc who spend hundreds of millions of dollars in funding downtown (or suburban stadiums) that don't even add to the urban fabric.

I can attest that the dual stadiums of Camden Yards and M+T Bank have had minimal urban fabric effect on Baltimore.

Atlanta just lost the Braves (after spending hundreds of millions of dollars less than 25 years ago to give them a downtown stadium after the Olympics) and just saw them flee to the highest bidder for even a sweeter deal in the suburbs.

Massachusetts has done it right and has been a huge winner with all their teams and their facilities. Even though folks groused about the less than $70 million put in the EXTERNAL roads and infrastructure around Gillette Stadium 16 years ago, I'd be willing to bet that the Commonwealth and the Town of Foxboro have already made that back and then some from the massive privately built Patriot Place.

Last edited:
i was also going to mention MSG.

i wasn't up on DC however.

Boston now joins NYC and DC in the elite class.

Does anyone know when this project will be 100% above ground?

It will mark another milestone in Boston development.

Another +1 on the incredible effect of this project. It's already compressing the pedestrian flow and making the area feel like part of a city, rather than an arena + train station. My crazy hope is for air rights development over the north station platforms, to completely encase the garden with active uses.

i was also going to mention MSG.

i wasn't up on DC however.

Boston now joins NYC and DC in the elite class.

Does anyone know when this project will be 100% above ground?

It will mark another milestone in Boston development.

The Verizon Center, as urban planning, is incredible - - a great act by the late Abe Polin. Built it in the early 1990's in a horrific area of downtown DC - - Chinatown/Convention Center - - no one who didn't live there would dare venture there unless they had to. Now Chinatown is the crown jewel. If North Station turns into anything resembling DC's Chinatown area with the HUNDREDS of restaurants and performance spaces and hotels, then it will be a winner. BTW, I take the Red Line Metro from near my house in the suburbs directly to games at the Verizon center and never have to go outside - the station is directly underneath the stadium. But you WANT to go outside there now - it's fabulous.

With North Station underneath and next to it and Faneuil Hall/Haymarket nearby - - THIS should stitch the entire area into a restaurant/entertainment/transit paradise stretching out and getting rid of some of the dead zones. Throw in the urban fabric restitching of Bullfinch Place (and the reconnecting of the street scene there) and you have a 1+1+1 = 45 type of alchemy happening at once.

Honestly, I could go on and on about that area. I was just up there last week and walked North Point Park along its canals and the end of the Charles River Basin, then underneath the Zakim (a remarkably pedestrian friendly area) and into Charlestown and then along the boardwalk by the Converse building and Lovejoy Wharf. North Station is finally becoming what it should have been the past 20+ years. When the old Garden went down and the Elevated came down, a sense of urbanism was lost for awhile. Now the rebirth and IMPROVEMENT is happening.

Last edited:
Will the Phase 3 core (or part of it) be constructed during Phase 1?

The office tower doesn't seem to have a CIP concrete core, meaning that they don't seem to be utilizing a hybrid structure (CIP core with steel around it) like we're used to seeing. Looks like it will be all steel, which makes it easier to "cap" at the podium roof.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but knowing that Phase I and Phase II are happening somewhat "back-to-back," is this core going to be the residential tower's core?

Yes.

Here's the site plan for reference. The white square above Arclight and below Residential lobby in this plan is the concrete core we see rising at the moment.

05-HubCauseway_Office.jpg

^ discussed upthread, office tower is different type of construction, as opposed to the hybrid CIP core/steel used for residential

Back