The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I actually like the office tower. Im disappointed with the residential tower. I know it's been said before, but the lack of height on the res tower just kills the proportions. Did anyone notice the "map" of Boston on the blank side of the hotel? Pretty cool if that's actually incorporated.

the colored lighting on the crown looks great and the map is one of a few cool touches.

as per always, wish it was another 200-500 feet taller, but it's far from a clunker. as it's currently being presented, that is...

Looks like many of us are taking the same side here, but I'll add my voice nonetheless: office tower looks good, it really does. Hotel is inoffensive and will probably work in context. But the residential tower, though built of good-looking materials and very clean and bright and such in all the renders, needs to be taller. Its being taller would improve it immensely-- and it would make the office tower and Avalon look better too. With the three of them being so close in height, none of them seems to stand out very much.

I would also like to see some additional height on the residentual tower. Ten to 15 additional floors would be nice.

Last edited:

Is this new? It looks exactly like the old version and I thought they were going to update it. Residential tower is ok, the office tower is trash

No it is not. It is the BCDC presentation from October 1, 2015 and features a couple more recent diagrams & material palettes (from Oct 1), but the majority of it is a bunch of renders & images from previous BCDC presentations from July to September.

Last edited:

Boston -- I really miss being able to walk-up a few minutes before game time and get either a hockey seat high up-under the vent ducts or a basketball seat behind a post

I think the going rate was $2.00 for each

And you got to see the best in competition -- hockey amongst the Original Six teams, or Basketball -- Well it was the routinely World Champion Celtics

This project is definitely a winner, a major game changer for this part of town. I freaking love every aspect of it! As for those who are wishing for added height in the residential tower, wouldn't the towers of the new Congress St. Garage give the height to this area that you're looking for?

This is True. I remember walking under the Greenline L and it was very dumpy.

Overall I would have liked the Greenline L stay in this location.

Riff -- but the "Fabulous Penalty Box Lounge" -- with Stick Fighting nightly for you dining pleasure

It's easy to wax poetic about the era when there was the one and only Bassston Gaaaahdn with Johnny Most high above courtside and John Havlicek stole the ball
, "Greer is putting the ball in play. He gets it out deep, and Havlicek steals it!! Over to Sam Jones!! Havlicek stole the ball!! It's all over … It's all over!! Johnny Havlicek is being mobbed by the fans! It's all over! Johnny Havlicek stole the ball! Oh my, what a play by Havlicek at the end of this ball game!"

Well said, timsox. My wish is to not have a plateau created here. All 3 of the major buildings in this area are practically the same height. The res tower being taller would just add some much needed variation in shape and scale. I don't want height for heights sake...just to improve the overall effect of this cluster of buildings.

The initial heights in the first version with three independent tower was best imho. It had a nice effect and from an art theory perspective was good design in that it was a set of three objects that were all of different heights and the heights were not in order of shortest to tallest or vice versa. This newest version would work just as well if the residential tower were still 600 feet but without that I don't think this will look as good as it could. I wouldn't change the current design now though other than making the residential building taller.

Add Equity's tower across the street and we'd have four towers of the same height in the area.

I like my office towers to sing, this one screeches. The silver curtain walls and the much darker corner glass just don't go together well and the podium and crown only add to the noise. Nothing coordinates and the enormous bulk of it is oppressive. The residential tower is much better put together (but too short.) They have Laurel and Hardy proportions.

A muscular, industrial chic building would look great here, but this ain't it.

Boston -- I really miss being able to walk-up a few minutes before game time and get either a hockey seat high up-under the vent ducts or a basketball seat behind a post

I think the going rate was $2.00 for each

And you got to see the best in competition -- hockey amongst the Original Six teams, or Basketball -- Well it was the routinely World Champion Celtics

We need a separate elevated rail thread to carry on with this discussion.

Kafox -- quoting the T

The head house closure and demolition is needed to allow for construction of a direct connection between the Orange and Green Line Stations and the east lobby of North Station Commuter Rail. Once built, it will have long-lasting benefits for T customers, who will never again have to walk outside in extreme weather, nor cross the street to get from one station to another (as is now the case)....

When finished, there will be a covered, underground connection from the commuter rail to the subway and a new entrance to North Station via Causeway Street

Also:

...Commuters should be aware that covered ADA accessible walkways will be put in place for MBTA customers until the developer's project is completed in December 2018.

We've been trying to get some communication with the transportation folks at the BRA or anyone at MBTA to answer this question with limited success.

I'm still of the belief that the 36-month head house/connection closure is a conservative estimate...unless someone can produce a project timeline that shows the underground connection will indeed take the full construction window. I imagine they could open it when it reaches 'substantial' completion. I've noticed they've been doing this with the World Trade Center transportation hub in downtown NYC where they'll open a corridor with incomplete walls and particle board over the finished floor for the sake of offering a more straightforward connection to commuters. It's also possible they're explicitly talking about closure of the head house and being obtuse about when to promise the underground connection (since that's on the developer and not in their hands).

That is going to be such a pain. I commute through NS everyday, I am not looking forward this.

Seriously? Not only will it have melt water dripping through it for days after every snowstorm but it only looks wide enough for one way traffic. If they don't put a roof membrane over then I support a petition that whoever approved this be strapped down below it every time it rains or snows until it gets fixed, when people aren't trampling them on their way to/from the station they can face the never ending drips of ice cold melt water.

Back