The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

They now have wall wrap along the entirety of the walls that separate where they are demolishing the old MBTA ticket booths from the rest of North Station. The graphics show the site at full build-out (among other things), oriented such that the latest iteration of our new favorite office tower looms over you as you enter or exit the concourse. It pretty much ruined my Friday (that's hyperbole, btw...but still).

They now have wall wrap along the entirety of the walls that separate where they are demolishing the old MBTA ticket booths from the rest of North Station. The graphics show the site at full build-out (among other things), oriented such that the latest iteration of our new favorite office tower looms over you as you enter or exit the concourse. It pretty much ruined my Friday (that's hyperbole, btw...but still).

Is that whole set of walls (where the schedules were posted, the old Amtrak ticket booth, etc.) coming down?

Is that whole set of walls (where the schedules were posted, the old Amtrak ticket booth, etc.) coming down?

Yes. Check out the photos in entry #2503 on this thread.

I apologize if this has been addressed, but it looks like they are actually building the commercial tower as well. Or am I mistaken? It just seems like the commercial tower first floor is built in that photo.

I apologize if this has been addressed, but it looks like they are actually building the commercial tower as well. Or am I mistaken? It just seems like the commercial tower first floor is built in that photo.

That's the the roof of that portion of the podium (for now), not the start of the commercial tower. If you go back in the time-lapse on the webcam you can see it's been unchanged for months. The commercial tower is still not fully approved/permitted.

The residential tower is currently adding about 1.5 floors per week.

They've also done a lot of work in the last week framing out the vestibule that'll connect the two portions of the podium and be the new entrance to the Garden.

This design would be a lot less of a mess if it didn't have those glass "cube" cantilevers on the front and rear.

"We heard you and here is none of those things. Thank you for playing."

This one's proving pretty resistant to change, even though the BCDC is making a lot of the same comments we are (mid-rise portion is a problem, needs to be thinner, etc.)

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/b4862dd2-55e8-48af-8c84-a7b4676336e5

At least they'll light the crown in team colors. That's something.

WHAT WE HEARD
PROPORTIONS / STRIVING TO BE TALLER
-Unify mid-rise with upper tower
-Extend reading of tower to land on Podium
-Reduce SW cantilever over the Hub and Podium
-Minimize width of tower

WHAT WE DID:
Nothing.

I really don't understand why they think the revision is "better."

The design still shrieks -- "I had extra Legos left in the box after making my model, so I stuck them on the side, cool right?"

WHAT WE DID:
Nothing.

What's interesting to me about this is that the Hub on Causeway is the only major project I remember that was actually rejected by the BCDC and sent back for revision. You'd think they'd be more responsive this time, but maybe this attitude is the same one they had back then.

Also, I suspect the foot-dragging comes from the same place as the design did in the first place: Verizon. They have a floor plan demand, and it probably requires that some number of stories have the wider footprint, that they have conference rooms with lots of glass in the bump-outs, etc.

The design change here was profound and came after a previous design had been incrementally walked through the BCDC. I don't think that happens without client input.

WHAT WE DID:
Nothing.

Wrong! WRONG WRONG WRONG! They made the top worse, and the awkward "2nd podium" part even more awkward. Give them a little credit here!

Is there something actually preventing them from, say, going 550' with it to fix the proportions?

This design would be a lot less of a mess if it didn't have those glass "cube" cantilevers on the front and rear.

If they want cantilevers , someone should show them this. Love him or hate him, Rudolph understood proportions and the interplay of complex shapes.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is wrong with me, because I really like this now.

If they want cantilevers , someone should show them this. Love him or hate him, Rudolph understood proportions and the interplay of complex shapes.

That's because its women into the overall design. This seems like an afterthought with little justification for existing other than attempting" something cool because, why not."

Back