The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Have you changed your tune on the office tower? I remember you in particular saying that this building would ruin the skyline, be a major eyesore, etc. The more I am seeing of it I actually thing it's bleeping awesome, and going to easily be the best of the 4 buildings in this cluster (including Garden Garage Tower). The cladding looks really good.

Its the residential that Ive always said I wasnt a fan of and that instead of changing the office tower they should have kept it and changed the res. I still think it could have been better, but overall this complex is a massive win. As for the office tower, I liked the old (spire) version better, but this is definitely unique. My gripe has been the kitchen sink thrown at the residential facade (notch here, colossal order there, stilts here, 5 different types of glass, random balconies) but as a part of something greater its fine. I just didnt understand why they would change the office tower when it looked great and then leave the res alone, seemed backwards.

Ideally I still feel the same as I did before. I would have kept the old office tower design, and focused on changing the residential tower to clean it up vs the mismash of conflicting parts. What I said was the gateway from the north needs to be iconic. Its definitely not going to ruin the skyline, but it could have been better. Not the end of the world and its still good. At the end of the day the street level is phenominal and the complex as a whole is a major improvement to the area, so Im very happy with the end result even if some things were left on the table. I think a lit spire would have been nice on a skyline with almost none, especially at the gateway, but at least the office has a unique roof and will be lit. Overall the sum is greater than the parts here imo, and the podium is phenomenal.

Last edited:
Its the residential that Ive always said I wasnt a fan of and that instead of changing the office tower they should have kept it and changed the res. I still think it could have been better, but overall this complex is a massive win. As for the office tower, I liked the old (spire) version better, but this is definitely unique. My gripe has been the kitchen sink thrown at the residential facade (notch here, colossal order there, stilts here, 5 different types of glass, random balconies) but as a part of something greater its fine. I just didnt understand why they would change the office tower when it looked great and then leave the res alone, seemed backwards.

Ideally I still feel the same as I did before. I would have kept the old office tower design, and focused on changing the residential tower to clean it up vs the mismash of conflicting parts. What I said was the gateway from the north needs to be iconic. Its definitely not going to ruin the skyline, but it could have been better. Not the end of the world and its still good. At the end of the day the street level is phenominal and the complex as a whole is a major improvement to the area, so Im very happy with the end result even if some things were left on the table. I think a lit spire would have been nice on a skyline with almost none, especially at the gateway, but at least the office has a unique roof and will be lit. Overall the sum is greater than the parts here imo, and the podium is phenomenal.
Could not agree more. The streetscape is completely transformed and the residential building ultimately ends up being a nice compliment to the office, which is the focal point. It also makes the development appear organic as if each parcel had separate designers and developers. It’s really an amazing addition, especially in variance to what we currently have there.

Oh dip! It looks like Arclight Boston (the movie theater) just opened, today, Sunday the 24th. They've been advertising with a “November” opening, but I never saw a specific date. Now, all of a sudden, you can buy tickets.

I personally am very impressed with it. It's going to look great.

Oh dip! It looks like Arclight Boston (the movie theater) just opened, today, Sunday the 24th. They've been advertising with a “November” opening, but I never saw a specific date. Now, all of a sudden, you can buy tickets.
Ford vs Ferrari

Lit crown too!

It’s a bummer the crown is only lit from the front, Causeway side. With the prominence of this building entering the city and into the tunnel, one would think there would be a little love to the ‘back’ of it.

but i guess that gigantic VERIZON sign needs a place to go and can’t be outshined by solid design..
4E293D05-926B-43DF-8A1B-6AB04688D8A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Interestingly these are some of the few tall buildings that look even better close up than at a distance. The details of the fenestrations are superb for the site and continue to call to mind the industrial feel of the area.

It’s a bummer the crown is only lit from the front, Causeway side. With the prominence of this building entering the city and into the tunnel, one would think there would be a little love to the ‘back’ of it.

but i guess that gigantic VERIZON sign needs a place to go and can’t be outshined by solid design..
View attachment 1475

Not true.

That render is old. That tower had the bigger base and a different crown. Look at the left side of the base in the pic below, it has the notch. The crown is also different. That tower was a pig, the one being built is much better... and will be lit from both sides.

Last edited:
Remember the fan experience plan is meant to tie together the neighborhood with the arena offerings:

One of my favorite parts of this project is that the "Fly-in" on this building for every Bruins/Celtics game is going to provide an identifiable location - whether you like the Hub building designs or not, it'll clearly stand out.
1574783072062.png
1574783256956.png

Back