The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

You would think in this town...and on this forum, it wouldn't be so hard to find something to be thankful for. This building isn't the best thing ever built but at least something is happening.

You realize this was the site of a historic theater, right? This was not a colonial-era parking lot that survived in its asphalted glory right up until the life-affirming folks building this ghetto-looking building decided to "make something happen."

and Massachusetts has two Democrats in the US Senate!

That's not a cause for celebration. Especially if you "like things happening" (which, I believe, you meant as a proxy for some sort of economic activity). Double-especially when Democrat No. 2 is so extreme that even the broadly left-leaning Michael Bloomberg recently compared her to a Bolshevik - under whom there wasn't very much construction happening either.

Guys, seriously! The election is OVER! This site is about Boston Architecture not about MA and National politics! Please, save it for Facebook or letters to the editor in the Herald or Globe!

Thread hijack.

monopoly-go-to-jail-card.jpg

You realize this was the site of a historic theater, right? This was not a colonial-era parking lot that survived in its asphalted glory right up until the life-affirming folks building this ghetto-looking building decided to "make something happen."

Exactly this. This might (might) be better than a parking lot, but it is a whole lot worse than the theater that was town down to make room for it.

IMO, the facade was never much, and once it disappeared, it became difficult to argue for a restoration of the interior, unless a college or university was willing to undertake it.

The Gaiety (built 1908) in 1941:
CHINAGAIETY1941.gif

Circa 2000:
CHINAGAYETYOUT.gif

Interior:
http://gaietyboston.com/photos.html

Exactly this. This might (might) be better than a parking lot, but it is a whole lot worse than the theater that was town down to make room for it.

Depends on which version of the theater you're talking about. Like what some forumers have mentioned, the Gaiety during its demolition was a farcry from what it was at its prime. It was a derelict piece of structure and unless someone was willing to make an investment in restoring it, then it has a negative effect on the area.

However, I will stop before saying this is better than the lot because really, this building is so cheap and ugly that I can not honestly say that it is any better than an empty lot.

For me:

Restored theater > derelict, crumbling building > Kensington > empty lot

What bothers me most about this building isn't that the old theatre was torn down, but rather that the developer wasn't required to replace it with a new theatre in his development.

This could easily have been done. See the Calderwood theatre in the South End, which is attached to a large residential building that replaced the derelict and unsalvageable National Theatre.

The crumbling theater had more character and architectural merit in one of the pieces of plaster on the floor in those 2004 pics then the entirety of the Kensington ever will.

I imagine the promised exhibit space for the theater's salvaged elements will be conveniently left out of the finished product.

I'd guess a plane on approach to Logan.

Yup...I lucked out today in that I had a window seat and a midday sun that was providing perfect lighting. Now if only the windows weren't so scratched and/or blurry.

That is effin awesome! And refreshingly devoid of fat stumps (Fatiron and Fat Pier).

Always love a different skyline view.

You can even see Romney's Mormon Temple in Belmont in the background.

Also, if you look right behind the taller Millennium Place tower, there is a stone water tower back there that's at the top of Route 2. On the street right below that is Robbins Farm Park in Arlington, one of the best views of the entire city!

Back