The New Retail Thread

That's essentially my point though. Higher quality and/or higher price Patagonia jacket vs. lower price and/or lower quality Uniqlo jacket, Addo Novo couch vs. Ikea couch, Hermes necktie vs. Sears necktie, Anderson & Sheppard suit vs. Men's Wearhouse suit, J. Crew chinos vs. Old Navy chinos.

Didn't Addo Novo go out of business?

Very interesting restaurant concept proposed for West Third @ A street in Southie. Should be a hit with the new State Street crowd -

New restaurant pitched for West 3rd Street

To the delight of many neighbors, West 3rd Street could soon be home to South Boston’s newest restaurant.

John Childs and his business partner Jerry Curtains were in front of the West Broadway Neighborhood Association Tuesday night to pitch Coppersmith, a new restaurant and bar they want to open at 40 West 3rd.

Although a hard date for the restaurant's opening has not been set, Childs said the new eatery could be open as early as April.

The property, a former machine shop, would be renovated for the new use that Childs said aims to be welcoming, warm, and family friendly.

“We’re all about best in class and providing an amenity,” Childs said.

With 30-foot high ceilings and an open dining room, the restaurant would hold close to 250 seats, in addition to an outdoor patio space, Childs said. The project also includes the addition of a 20 car parking lot.

Childs said the eatery aims to provide “farm to table cuisine that’s affordable.”

The restaurant would be approximately 7,000 square feet, with 3,900 square feet dedicated to the main commissary/kitchen.

The indoor space is also expected to incorporate two food trucks, which would supplement the main menu and provide space for cooking competitions and other events.

The roof of the restaurant would hold a rooftop garden, with the vegetables from the garden being used in the restaurant's dishes.

During the day the restaurant would have a more café feel to it, with coffee drinks, prepared meals, and small, less intensive lunchtime dishes.

During the evening the space would be converted into a more traditional restaurant, with table service and full menu. The cuisine is expected to be American comfort food.

The hours of the restaurant have not been determined, but Childs he’s interested in a 2 a.m. closing.

A full liquor license has been purchased, but a common victualler license, which allows the restaurant to serve food, has not yet been obtained.

At Tuesday’s meeting, the majority of the 45 residents in attendance were receptive to the proposal, which could breathe new life into the mostly lifeless block.

“I live in the community, and I think it’s great to see another restaurant, especially one that’s different,” said Skye Schulte.

Globe article here. - At the end of the article there is also mention of a large scale multi-use development across the street from the proposed restaurant.

Joshua Tree in Allston closed and site is being sold to Mount Vernon Company. Word on the street is they want to put a specialty grocery there. Building is 10,000 sq. ft. on ground and basement levels. Big enough for Trader Joe's?

Please please please put a Trader Joe's there! They'd make a killing in that location.

That's what Perceley been claiming he wants to do. Now he's put some money down.

Joshua Tree in Allston closed and site is being sold to Mount Vernon Company. Word on the street is they want to put a specialty grocery there. Building is 10,000 sq. ft. on ground and basement levels. Big enough for Trader Joe's?

That sufficient for approximately 40 Trader Joe's built on the scale of the one in Back Bay :)

If only they'd also replace the Davis Square Joshua Tree with a Trader Joe's.

Please please please put a Trader Joe's there! They'd make a killing in that location.

That would help bring some relief to the Coolidge Corner location. Someone once told me that location is their busiest on the East Coast.

That would help bring some relief to the Coolidge Corner location. Someone once told me that location is their busiest on the East Coast.

That would be great. I try to mainly shop there on weekdays because the line stretches halfway across the store on weekends even with their recent payment queue optimizations.

11959544566_73263ef2ea_b.jpg

11959131784_bd34c19ce2_b.jpg

Concept seems stupid, but they mention having them in many other cities. Does anyone know if they are successful?

According to the reviews on Yelp people seem pleased with the concept.

I walked by yesterday...it is pretty garish. I peaked inside as the door was open and it looked like a bar...even had edison lights.

What is the concept?

It's a corporate bank-themed café. What's not to love?

Can't wait for the Comcast Restaurant and UPS Pub.

I mean, it's way better than a regular bank from what i've seen, but the space is so unique a good restaurant or retail space. I was dragged into Anthropologie there many a time to look at overpriced shabby clothes, but the space was something to take in.

Back