The New Retail Thread

New from the Herald -- another attempt at re-programming the Quincy Market
Upgraded appeal eyed for Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Not just for tourists

MARKET REMAKE: Some of the ideas being considered for Faneuil Hall Marketplace include outdoor reading rooms, more diversified music and entertainment programming, including at the Quincy Market rotunda.
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
By:
Donna Goodison

An outdoor reading room, games from chess to Jenga available for public play, and artists-in-residence are among plans being considered to attract more Bostonians to the tourist-centric Faneuil Hall Marketplace.

The outdoor programming by New York’s Biederman Redevelopment Ventures is part of Ashkenazy Acquisition’s larger revitalization plans for the center, which also include building alterations and improvements, and bringing in new retailers.

The marketplace’s appeal to city dwellers is “spotty” now, with bars and restaurants being the primary draw, according to president Dan Biederman.

“It’s still a very engaging space, clearly, for tourists,” he said. “It is less of a draw for people who live within miles and work within miles. And, obviously, Ashkenazy would like to see … the real city Bostonians come at all hours of the day and night.

Real Question -- is this the best we can do -- copy something from NYC?

I walked by yesterday...it is pretty garish. I peaked inside as the door was open and it looked like a bar...even had edison lights.

What is the concept?

At first blush it does look obnoxious, but it's apparently doing well other places so they must be filling some kind of niche. I read somewhere that the baristas will be licensed financial planners. At first I thought "wow, what self-respecting financial planner wants to draw lattes on the side?" but then I thought in response "the ones who don't take themselves too seriously and want to shake up their work day." In theory, I can imagine sitting with a FP over a cappucino that s/he made me and talking about life goals. If it's coffee-shop-meets-personalized-financial-advisor in a low-stress context, it could be cool. If it's a garish Starbucks-meets-equities-shill it could be super-depressing and will hopefully die a quick and painful death.

I'm not sure I understand the problem with having a high profile (and successful) tourist trap. If it ain't broke, what's the motivation to fix it?

It's a shame because that is such a great building

Something tells me the hideousness of this will allow/encourage the owner to declare it "blighted" and push to raze the building and put in its place some more horrid modernist schlock, like the Darth Vader Building Part II.

I'm not sure I understand the problem with having a high profile (and successful) tourist trap. If it ain't broke, what's the motivation to fix it?

Seriously. And where exactly in the sea of wall to wall tourists are they planning to set up the Jenga?

At first I thought "wow, what self-respecting financial planner wants to draw lattes on the side?" but then I thought in response "the ones who don't take themselves too seriously and want to shake up their work day."

I am sometimes in awe of the ability of Starbucks' (and other) baristas to keep their cool and grace under pressure. It's not easy to deal with a demanding public and keep on smiling.

Not to mention that some baristas now might actually be financial planners who lost their job during the recession. Very high numbers of baristas and servers in Boston have professional degrees. This seems like a cool concept to tap into that talent, though I fear it could mean exploiting financial planners to also serve drinks with no additional compensation.

Its not like "financial planner" is a more serious job than barista anyway. The only qualifications include 1) a college degree in absolutely anything and 2) a willingness to talk about really boring subjects with strangers. Basically its a sales job and they will take anyone with good sales skills, not financial acumen.

MOAR BANK CAFE

11971320683_2dc708c70c_b.jpg

11971852566_d16183b23a_b.jpg

Imagine if it were a bar/bank:
Bartender/Financial Consultant: "Sir, I'd like to tell you about a new class of investment product securitized by youtube videos of cats"
Me: That soundz like a GOLDMINE! werz do i sine up?"
Bartender/Financial Consultant: "I'll bring the paperwork with your 7th drink."

I've just returned from New York where, for a variety of reasons, I visited Chelsea Market 3 separate times. I think this is a great space to emulate.

The food options showcase regional output, they are far more interesting than Faneuil Hall. It's mixed use with offices above. It serves both tourists and locals. It's got group programmable space. It has an indoor space for colder months. It seems to be busy most of the time.

Cons - It is probably at a higher price point than appropriate to replace FH.

Perhaps it is one of those 'only in New York things' that requires much higher and wealthier population base.

And perhaps it's better suited for the new Farmer's Market on the Greenway Bldg, or redeveloped Landmark Center or the SoWa 'parking garage', or somewhere else.

But I would be thrilled to have something similar here.

Nah, not "only in NY" just a lot rarer than it used to be.

e.g. Eastern Market in D.C. is the last of about 8 or so that used to exist there, and it's like Pike Place Market in Seattle, or Marche Jean-Talon in Montreal, Cross Street Market in Baltimore, Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, etc.

I've just returned from New York where, for a variety of reasons, I visited Chelsea Market 3 separate times. I think this is a great space to emulate.

The food options showcase regional output, they are far more interesting than Faneuil Hall. It's mixed use with offices above. It serves both tourists and locals. It's got group programmable space. It has an indoor space for colder months. It seems to be busy most of the time.

Cons - It is probably at a higher price point than appropriate to replace FH.

Perhaps it is one of those 'only in New York things' that requires much higher and wealthier population base.

And perhaps it's better suited for the new Farmer's Market on the Greenway Bldg, or redeveloped Landmark Center or the SoWa 'parking garage', or somewhere else.

But I would be thrilled to have something similar here.

I visited Chelsea Market for the first time during my annual Thanksgiving Weekend visit to New York. It is a perfect model to be emulated - I don't care where in the city, but Quincy Market seems to be a prime locale.

Quincy Market is in the freaking center of downtown, it should have some appeal to residents and not just tourist grabbing a cheap lunch. If that mostly forgettable food court traded up a few stalls for a handful of specialty shops and a feature/up-scale quick service eatery or three, it would go a long way to bringing everyday Bostonians in without losing tourist appeal.

All that said, the new Market at Haymarket is an equally quality spot, but I would love to see a change to the FH/QH area to class it up a bit.

Quincy Market is in the freaking center of downtown, it should have some appeal to residents and not just tourist grabbing a cheap lunch.
As someone who is a downtown resident, I'll tell you it definitely has appeal to us. Unfortunately, it's not because of anything that'll excite posters on this board. The appeal is that the places like the Gap, Banana Republic, etc that get slammed as boring, are in fact staple type places that are great for picking up a pair of shorts, a sweater, etc. It's like the CVS at the Garden; sure it's boring as hell, but people who live around there need toilet paper and shampoo just like everyone else.

I guess an argument could be made that "staple stores" should be moved to less prominent spots. But where are you going to move that Gap that's still convenient to downtown? I guess you could say those stores are more appropriate in a place like the Galleria, but if you're trying to make downtown into a 24 hour walkable live/work neighborhood then you're really shooting yourself in the foot by moving staple amenities to a less convenient location.

That being said, I don't think anyone would argue about kicking out all the fucking knick-knack shops in Fanieul Hall. "Pewter World" or whatever it's called isn't a staple and it's not a tourist spot either.

As someone who is a downtown resident, I'll tell you it definitely has appeal to us. Unfortunately, it's not because of anything that'll excite posters on this board. The appeal is that the places like the Gap, Banana Republic, etc that get slammed as boring, are in fact staple type places that are great for picking up a pair of shorts, a sweater, etc. It's like the CVS at the Garden; sure it's boring as hell, but people who live around there need toilet paper and shampoo just like everyone else.

I guess an argument could be made that "staple stores" should be moved to less prominent spots. But where are you going to move that Gap that's still convenient to downtown? I guess you could say those stores are more appropriate in a place like the Galleria, but if you're trying to make downtown into a 24 hour walkable live/work neighborhood then you're really shooting yourself in the foot by moving staple amenities to a less convenient location.

That being said, I don't think anyone would argue about kicking out all the fucking knick-knack shops in Fanieul Hall. "Pewter World" or whatever it's called isn't a staple and it's not a tourist spot either.

Point taken. I agree many of the shops around there are great for residents and are perfect where they are.

Maybe I've mixed up the names of things. I meant specifically the interior colonnade of the Quincy Market building is a major bust and I find little appeal to draw me in. Its a slightly above average food court without enough seating and I think it could be improved with a greater variety of stalls.

Point taken. I agree many of the shops around there are great for residents and are perfect where they are.

Maybe I've mixed up the names of things. I meant specifically the interior colonnade of the Quincy Market building is a major bust and I find little appeal to draw me in. Its a slightly above average food court without enough seating and I think it could be improved with a greater variety of stalls.
Mmm Mac & Cheese is absolutely incredible. Boston Chowda Co also has the best fast food chowder in the city. Also, tourists get such a kick about the fact that QM allows you to eat around the world.

The Indian stand has food sitting in chafing dishes and under heat lamps for hours on end, but it's owned by the people who did Bombay Club and the recipets are the same. So it's probably about the best food hall style Indian you're going to get. They've got a Regina's in there too which is at least local and famous. Not sure why you wouldn't walk over to the original (where the food's better anyways). Not that I'm complaining about something that keeps at least a handful of tourists out of my way.

In any case, I'm not really sure if the food hall and the stores are really a problem. I will say though that if the new operators are hell bent on changing something, the one thing I'd prefer them to focus on is getting a higher caliber of sit down restaurants in there. Anthem, Salty Dog, and Zuma are probably the best of the bunch, and that's not really saying much.

Back