The New Retail Thread

I know someone is working on a Brighton dispensary but I guess he did not get in this round.

From http://www.necn.com/01/31/14/Mass-D...ding_business.html?blockID=862383&feedID=4753 :

Locations for the provisionally granted medical marijuana dispensary licenses are:

Medical Marijuana of Massachusetts, Inc.; 95 Echo Road, Mashpee
William Noyes Webster Foundation, Inc.; 226 Great Western Road, South Dennis
Medical Marijuana of Massachusetts, Inc.; 400 Revolutionary Drive Taunton (industrial park)
Brighton Health Advocates Inc. d/b/a Compassionate Care; 132 Alden Road, Fairhaven
Alternative Therapies Group, Inc.; 50 Grove Street, Salem
Healthy Pharms, Inc.; 114 Hale Street, Haverhill
Debilitating Medical Condition Treatment Centers, Inc.; 181 Appleton Street, Holyoke
New England Treatment Access, Inc.; 296 Nonotuck Street, Northampton
Patriot Care Corp.; 70 Industrial Avenue, Lowell
Central Ave Compassionate Care, Inc.; 31 Central Avenue, Ayer
Garden Remedies, Inc.; 697 Washington Street, Newtonville (Newton)
The Greeneway Wellness Foundation, Inc.; 11 First Street, Cambridge
New England Treatment Access, Inc.; 1416-18-20 Beacon Street, Brookline (outside Coolidge Corner, at Summit Street trolley stop)
Ermont; 216 Ricciuti Drive, Quincy (Quarry Hills development)
Medical Marijuana of Massachusetts, Inc. 9 Collins Avenue, Plymouth (inside industrial park at Routes 3 and 44)
In Good Health, Inc.; 1200 West Chestnut Street, Brockton (southwest of Route 24/123 interchange)
Good Chemistry of Massachusetts, Inc.; 364-368 Boylston Street, Boston (between Arlington and Berkeley)
Green Heart Holistic Health & Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 70 Southampton Street, Boston (at Mass. Ave. close to BCH and county house of correction)
Bay State Relief, Inc.; 13 Commercial Way, Milford
Good Chemistry of Massachusetts Inc.; 9 Harrison Street, Worcester (between Harding and Green Streets)

As far as I can tell, the Cambridge location is the same address as the Finagle a Bagel across Cambridge St. from Lechmere.

I'm surprised at how prominent some of these locations are. Not that I'm opposed.

Coolidge Corner is a great move, the restaurants between Comm Ave and Beacon should see a nice uptick in business.

Also, only $45 for a slice, jeezzz

Tedeschi convenience store to open at former Kelly's Roast Beef spot in Allston

. . . Valeri said an existing Tedeschi shop a couple doors down at 1219 Commonwealth Ave. will close when the new store opens.

. . . He said those prior deals fell through and interest in the space was tough to generate likely due to several reasons, including that Kelly’s asking sublease price was high and that the location does not have a drive thru or its own parking.

Link

Damn, so much for an Allston Boloco, and that brand new kitchen. But, if its one of the nicer ones with a milkshake machine it will be an upgrade. The existing one is way too small for the buisness it does, and the space its in now might spawn something far more intresting than whatever chain could have afforded the lease on Kellys.

I really doubt parking was much of an issue, but the cost of the lease. That is, afterall, what drove out Martys in the first place.

Yeah, the lease cost on that corner is extremely high. That's why they haven't been able to get anyone in.

Anyone who thought "parking" was an issue there clearly is (a) a suburbanite, (b) hasn't spent much time at Harvard/Comm, (c) doesn't realize the sheer volume of pedestrians at that corner. Plenty of very successful restaurants in the vicinity. Kelly's was managed by morons, there were often a dozen employees standing around doing nothing at any given time. Also, their food sucked. Roast Beast is so much better it's not even funny.

It's going to be kind of funny though, with a Tedeschi on Comm and one right down the street on Brighton. Maybe they will take the opportunity to make a nicer one, rather than hosting the usual aura of decay and neglect that usually hovers over their locations.

Globe is reporting that Bottega Veneta is going to open a store in Heritage on the Garden, and Hermes is tripling the size of its space.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ding-boston/7C0hFq0PQXc77g393RCkkL/story.html
Does Bottega Veneta still have the store out at the mall in Natick? If so, will they still keep it?

Side not: I'm shocked at how large the new Chanel boutique is: 10,000 square feet. Also, any word if their former space at the Taj Boston is going to be home to a new retailer? A rather prime piece of real estate, though it might be on the smaller side for some retailers at just 2,000 square feet.

Hermes' expansion is interesting. Didn't know Hermes sold fashion wear.

I think the tech scene will really help push the city created a big wave of in-town wealth, which will be interesting to watch. I guess the big issue is sizable space, right? Hopefully we'll see brands like Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Christian Louboutin, and some others open up shop.

By the way, just love the envy in the comments of the article. I can't afford to shop at these places, but I welcome them to the city.

"
I think it was put on hold(Boston lingo for smothered with a pillow) during the recession. Their plans for the Mandarin called for an 'epicenter' store, which was probably a bit ambitious at least at the time. Prada is another brand that Boston should have and could support but on a smaller scale than what was talked about then.

Last edited:
I would imagine they'll keep the store in Natick, they're catering to two distinct clienteles.

It bothers me somewhat that we haven't heard anything on the Chanel space. I passed through the Taj Sunday for a drink and the bartender I talked to, who was not as up on what's happening as the Ritz bartenders were, didn't know anything.

Hermes does an amazing business. The store's never crowded but when someone walks in and buys up fifteen neckties at $200 a pop or three pairs of shoes totaling $3500, the sales per square foot rack up very quickly.

There's still a lot of downmarket stuff on Newbury that could easily give way to luxury brands, I would love to see brands like Gap and H & M relocate off Newbury to Huntington down by Symphony Hall and along with a Uniqlo and/or a Century 21 form a more middle of the road retail district aimed at students and the less affluent population.

I think it's only a matter of time before all of those brands(Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and Christian Louboutin) arrive in Boston. What is needed are some quality men's brands like Kiton as I've mentioned, Brioni, Paul Stuart and Turnbull & Asser to name a few which I think would succeed here.

I realize most people here are probably adamantly anti-smoking but am I the only one terribly disappointed that Boston is down to one cigar bar?

KMP -- Yes -- but Boston is soon to be home to a swanky Medical Dispensary for Cannabis -- I think that is to be located close to the Hermes for prime access for the beautiful people

While we're on the subject of Newbury Street does anyone know what's going in the space where L'Aroma Cafe used to be? The one next to Georgetown Cupcakes. The only clue is a teaser sign on the window. Something about a locally renowned cafe.

I would imagine they'll keep the store in Natick, they're catering to two distinct clienteles.

It bothers me somewhat that we haven't heard anything on the Chanel space. I passed through the Taj Sunday for a drink and the bartender I talked to, who was not as up on what's happening as the Ritz bartenders were, didn't know anything.

Hermes does an amazing business. The store's never crowded but when someone walks in and buys up fifteen neckties at $200 a pop or three pairs of shoes totaling $3500, the sales per square foot rack up very quickly.

There's still a lot of downmarket stuff on Newbury that could easily give way to luxury brands, I would love to see brands like Gap and H & M relocate off Newbury to Huntington down by Symphony Hall and along with a Uniqlo and/or a Century 21 form a more middle of the road retail district aimed at students and the less affluent population.

I think it's only a matter of time before all of those brands(Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and Christian Louboutin) arrive in Boston. What is needed are some quality men's brands like Kiton as I've mentioned, Brioni, Paul Stuart and Turnbull & Asser to name a few which I think would succeed here.

I realize most people here are probably adamantly anti-smoking but am I the only one terribly disappointed that Boston is down to one cigar bar?

Thanks for the tidbit on the Natick store. From what it sounds like, the "luxury" focus hasn't been a roaring success. Hopefully it's picking up.

There's an interesting story from 2012 on one real estate company that's invested in-and holds quite a bit-of Newbury Street.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/r...es-finds-a-boom-in-bostons-back-bay.html?_r=0

Isn't one of the concerns the lack of enough prime square footage for these brands? Will Copley Plaza help in this regards? I've also noticed that outside of Tiffany & Co. and Cartier, a lot of luxury jewelry brands haven't opened a boutique yet in the region. Seems like at 2,000 square feet, the Taj would be a great location for such a brand.

Is Boston starting to diverse-and perhaps shed-it's dress code a little bit? Does the younger newer money crowd that lives in Boston have a different fashion sense than the old money New England sense? Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, and maybe Prada, tend to be slightly a little more edgier compared to a Chanel, Hermes, ect. Would love to see Lanvin in town. :)

Oh, from last month, but Copley Place is getting a pair of new luxury retailers I've never heard of:

http://www.boston.com/business/news...opley-place/WzuNktaSf7LFscLe83QnVI/story.html

"Copley Place, a tony shopping complex in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood, said that L.K. Bennett and Furla, both retailers new to Boston, will open this year, adding two more fashion options to Copley’s retail mix of about 75 stores.
A Furla handbag from the retailer’s website. A Furla handbag from the retailer’s website.

L.K. Bennett, which just opened, is a “luxury fashion brand defined by its unmistakable British heritage and offers beautiful, well-made, accessibly priced designer threads,” Copley Place said in a press release.

Meanwhile, Furla, a retailer known for its luxurious handbags, wallets, and shoes, is planning to open a store at Copley Place in the summer."

699 Boylston:

12872292054_e3e9fefda9_b.jpg

12871857345_2c2b838471_b.jpg

12871854705_0fb1255b76_b.jpg

1957949_689233197787233_1576647680_o.jpg
1973772_689233231120563_145614631_o.jpg

Not quite new retail, more like existing renovated retail but check out the new allston mcdonalds storefront.

Back