The New Retail Thread

Data -- The problem is that this market wants to be distinguished from the Haymarket

If you want a simple way to separate the two:
1) Haymarket is traditional, temporary and cheap with produce from where ever
2) Public market is moderne, permanent and expensive with artisanal bread, sheep milk smoked Gouda Cheese and Belgian Endive -- hand selected by Mike D his-self

Who goes to each:
1) Haymarket: Tourists looking for local color, students and other locals looking for cheap and sometimes marginal produce
2) Public Market: Tourists looking for some artisanal bread, sheep milk smoked Gouda Cheese, chefs of local restaurants, upper-middle class Yuppies and DINKs

There's room for multiple destinations under the "Haymarket" label. And the sign helps identify both since it can be seen from a distance and should therefore be inclusive of both in some way --the "Haymarket" brand is more unique than the "Public Market" one and should be the one used.

People will just call it all Haymarket anyway.

By the way -- the finest Public Market I've ever seen was in Budapest

markthalle_budapest_1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Budapest_great_market_hall.jpg

I love the Mercado Municipal here in São Paulo.

MunicipalMarket.jpg

Mercado.jpg

The best thing here is their famous mortadella sandwiches. Picture by (a very happy) me!
Mortadella.jpg

I found the Dedham Yard House beer menu (Boston's isn't posted yet). Looks like there are a few 'Yard House Craft Beers' of their own, along with a pretty long list of micros and a few non-micros.

Ron, I think the YardHouse beers are just a relabelling agreement with another brewer, much like Trader Joe's beers. Probably good, but not brewed in house.

Ai...tenho muitos saudades de Brasil... :(
I don't remember the municipal market in Sao Paulo.:confused:

Ai...tenho muitos saudades de Brasil... :(
I don't remember the municipal market in Sao Paulo.:confused:

It's in Sé (in Centro), and it's fantastic. If return, the mortadella sandwich is a must-eat. It's incredible. I was sick as hell when I ate that and it still tasted like heaven. I just started a job here, and I need to make a transfer (relatively) close to MM...I think I'm going to have to find a reason to stop off there sometime soon.

Here's a related proposal for Parcel #9 and the Blackstone Block area. This proposal is by the DeNormandie folks -- also planning to build DeNormandie Wharf where the old Hodge Boiler Works was located in East Boston

http://www.denormandieco.com/inprogress_Parcel9.html

Parcel 9, which is located between North Street, Hanover Street, Blackstone Street, and the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Park, adjacent to the North End. Although the MassDOT had indefinitely postponed the designation of the parcel......

The design includes over 28,000 square feet of ground floor Market retail space on Parcel 9 with Arts and Crafts space on the second floor and gallery space on the third through fifth floors. As owners of the majority of the properties on the opposite of Blackstone Street, the DeNormandie Companies has the unique opportunity to develop both sides of the street as a unified market district. This project will move forward in three phases.

Phase I: The first phase will consist of the construction of the Market, Arts and Crafts, and Gallery space on Parcel 9, totaling over 150,000 square feet over five floors.

Phase II: During the second phase, DeNormandie Companies will move the current tenants from the south side of Blackstone Street into the completed new building on Parcel 9. They will then take down the old buildings and construct new buildings in the footprint that reflect the historic character of the Blackstone block but offer competitive space to the growing Boston market district. The new buildings will total over 78,000 square feet of space over six floors with similar uses to those in Parcel 9

Phase III: After completing the construction on both sides of Blackstone Street, the third phase will involve building a open-air glass arcade over the street spanning to the buildings on either side. As a result, over 20,000 square feet of Blackstone Street will be covered by a glass roof to provide protected space for Haymarket and other outdoor market uses.

Community Benefits: In addition to providing a center for the developing Market District in Boston, this project will revitalize the interior of the Blackstone block while preserving its historic character. This project provides an opportunity to create solutions to the challenges that face the block currently. For example, providing garbage and recycling space in the basement of these new buildings will clear up space in the interior of the block for the development of community gathering and green spaces.

Blackstone%20Block%20Parcel%209%20013-2.jpg

Thks looks pretty good. I especially like the ground level gerbil tube!

Thks looks pretty good. I especially like the ground level gerbil tube!

Henry -- There's a lot more in the DeNormandie proposal for Parcel #9 and rebuilding the Blackstone Street edge of the Blackstone Block

http://www.denormandieco.com/Parcel9Proposal.pdf

Blackstone%20Block%20Parcel%209%20010-2.jpg

In fact their proposal, including the properties which they already own. could be considered as the "Blackstone SuperBlock" which segues into the Parcel #7 Public Market as well -- creating an integrated Market District right along side to the Greenway

Blackstone%20Block%20Parcel%209%20012-2.jpg

It looks like DeNormandie's proposal would be an excellent, contemporary complement to Quincy Market. And hopefully it'll allow for more permanency of the Haymarket farmers market (i.e. 7 days a week, not just weekends).

Is that what's going in? Or is this just a proposal?

Van -- this is a full proposal to go not to the Parcel #7 vent Building but the diagonally adjacent actual Greenway ramp Parcel #9

As the proposal says -- currently the RFP for the Parcel #9 has been withdrawn -- formerly the site of the Boston Museum project

DeNormandie owns several buildings on Blackstone Street in the historic Blackstone Block

Their property combined withe Parcel #9 would fit well with the current proposal to build a permanent indoor Public Market for Parcel #7

parcel7.jpg

parcel9.jpg

Last edited:
I like this proposal a lot - combining Parcel 7 with an enhanced back to the Blackstone block is a great idea. My concern though is that, combined with the plans for Parcel 9, this is going to create a LOT of indoor market space (not to mention everything in and around Quincy Market). So, can this proposal coexist with the current plans for Parcel 9, or is ot too much of a good thing?

I like this proposal a lot - combining Parcel 7 with an enhanced back to the Blackstone block is a great idea. My concern though is that, combined with the plans for Parcel 9, this is going to create a LOT of indoor market space (not to mention everything in and around Quincy Market). So, can this proposal coexist with the current plans for Parcel 9, or is ot too much of a good thing?

Shep, Van -- DeNormandie seems to have conceived of a modern recreation of the traditional Boston Market District:

1) Faneuil Hall / QM -- for the tourists and the ultimate grab and eat fast food court

2) Blackstone Street Arcade -- glass-covered, open-air-type canopy for Haymarket on Friday, Saturday and other temporary markets on other days -- from their proposal

While the Haymarket pushcart vendors will occupy the glass-canopy-covered Blackstone Street on their traditional Friday and Saturday market days, it is our intention to host possibly a Farmers’ Market on Wednesday, a Flea Market on Monday, and an Arts and Crafts pushcart-type Market on Thursday and Sunday, so that Blackstone Street becomes known as Boston’s active, attractive Market District seven days a week.

3) Blackstone Block & parcel #9 Building for galleries of handicrafts made on site -- mention glass, pottery
While gallery use and arts and crafts will be encouraged for the upper floors, particularly the second floor, the ground floor will house food uses, with a mix of indoor/outdoor food purveyors in produce, meat, fish, poultry, bread, cheese, etc. being the primary focus and function of Boston’s newly created Market District.... The second floor is devoted primarily to galleries and arts and crafts studios, with the remainder being office users. Floors 3, 4 and 5 are conceived for office use, but able to be converted to gallery and arts and crafts studio space as the demand for space grows. We believe all these building uses are compatible with both the Haymarket Pushcart activity and the full-time market activity on the ground floor.

Blackstone%20Block%20Parcel%209%20011-2.jpg

Note for oritentation:
Dead ahead is the proposed new structure at Blackstone Block
Greenway at North St. is to your right
Millenium Bostonian Hotel is just to your left in front
Faneuil Hall / QM is directly behind you

4) Parcel #7 for the permanent Public Food Market -- looks like some overlap with the Parcel #9 building

and all of this sitting right adjacent to and on the Greenway

I think its the most promising uses of that area so far to have been proposed

I love how they use the state street buildings to boost their blah design in the first photo

The DeNormandie proposal for the market looks pretty good...I wish it stepped up to something with a little more height along the Greenway, though.

What are the chances of it actually happening?

Back