The New Retail Thread

^^ The whole point is that it's not just another Walgreens. So you don't really "know" what it's going to be like, other than whatever you can glean from the articles posted here...

I don't see how you can possibly make any useful judgment about a restaurant that is not yet open.

Because it's run by the same people behind a club at Foxwoods? Does it not scream Saugus to you? And "Asian restaurant"? I mean, not even "Pan-Asian" or "Asian fusion"...but...Asian? What does that even mean?

Wait, where did you get "Asian themed"? I thought that was your interpretation.

"Asian restaurant" is from the website.

Look, based on Yelp reviews of the Red Lantern, I have no doubt that many people will enjoy this restaurant (which I never disputed). I'm more bothered by the contention that it's off limits to speculate about an unopened restaurant even when there is actual evidence at hand: i.e., information about similar establishments from the same ownership, and fully colored images of the restaurant's planned decor!

"Asian restaurant" is from the website.

Look, based on Yelp reviews of the Red Lantern, I have no doubt that many people will enjoy this restaurant (which I never disputed). I'm more bothered by the contention that it's off limits to speculate about an unopened restaurant even when there is actual evidence at hand: i.e., information about similar establishments from the same ownership, and fully colored images of the restaurant's planned decor!

But you didn't legitimately speculate on the quality of the restaurant. You called it "embarrassing" that the place will open and implied that an upcoming restaurant is indicative of Boston being extremely fratty and provincial. I think that's what struck everyone as overreaching about your comments.

According to the definition of the word, wouldn't a seafood restaurant or Irish pub be more provincial than an upscale Asian restaurant and nightclub?

Yeah, I'm not necessarily getting the hate. Clearly it wouldn't be the trendiest place in any city - it's clearly some corporate boardroom's idea of what an Asian restaurant would be, sort of like the N*Sync of restaurants - but even the world's greatest cities are filled with shit like this, so it's not necessarily a reason to dump on Boston.

I mean, no one in New York is whining about the Olive Garden in Times Square making the city look like Grand Forks. They're snorting at Times Square and the people who hang out there for not getting what makes New York a really great city.

The real problem here is the Seaport and not its current retail tenants (though I'll never get why it has or needs three versions of Legal). They'll change over time. It's that the environment may not be conducive to fostering new and interesting businesses in the future.

For now, well, at least the fact that this place is in the Seaport means it won't be contributing to gentrification somewhere else in the city.

This has nothing to do with your point, but come to think of it, of the restaurants/cafes I've visited most in Manhattan, in descending order:

1) Starbucks (natch)
2) McDonald's
3) Applebee's
4) Murray's Bagels (8th between 22nd and 23rd)
5) Original Ray's Pizza

This seems depressing.

Starbucks and McD's make sense...but how have you managed to visit so many Applebee's here? (the only one I can think of is actually hidden above a side street near Times Sq.)

There are like 2837283 Original Ray's but I don't think they're related to each other at all.

cz, for better or worse, there are some pretty prominent Applebee's in NY: There are two in the central tourist corridors of Times Square (one on 42nd Street and one a few blocks north); there's one on 135th St and (I think) Frederick Douglass; and there's one in Crown Heights on Fulton St. Those are just the ones that come to mind that I have seen.

... Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Howard Johnson's used to have a prominent location in Times Square. Is that where one of the Applebee's is now? The HoJo was quite a legitimate tourist attraction towards the end as it was one of the chain's last survivors.

The ones near Times Square is the one we go to, often. Cheap and easy for family visits.

Ron, the Howard Johnson's is now an American Eagle Outfitters.

AEO.jpg

Here it is, back in the day.

howard%2Bjohnson%2527s%2Bsmall.jpg

There is still a camera shop in Faneuil Hall Marketplace (South Market). It is in the basement, but accessed from a staircase along the public walkway. I'm not sure what local ties it might have, if any.

There is still a camera shop in Faneuil Hall Marketplace (South Market). It is in the basement, but accessed from a staircase along the public walkway. I'm not sure what local ties it might have, if any.

Bromfield camera
Newtonville Camera
EP Levine (pro store, not for film developing)

Bromfield camera
Newtonville Camera
EP Levine (pro store, not for film developing)

Saul --don't forget
http://www.cameraco.com/
THE CAMERA COMPANY
858 BOSTON-PROVIDENCE TPK.
NORWOOD, MA. 02062
STORE HOURS:
BROADCAST: MONDAY - FRIDAY 9:00am-5:30pm
CONSUMER: MONDAY - WEDNESDAY 9:00am-6:00pm
THURSDAY - 9:00am-7:00pm
FRIDAY - 9:00am-6:00pm
SATURDAY - 10:00am-6:00pm
SUNDAY- CLOSED
PHONE: 781-769-0210
FAX: 781-769-5750

The Camera Company is a Brick and Mortar, family owned camera center located in Norwood, Massachusetts. We have been here since the early sixties, which gives you the comfort of purchasing from a reputable retail store with a proven track record of success. The Camera Company carries the top video, photography, and editing gear in the industry - for consumers, professionals, and the broadcast industry. If you need additional information, or don't see an item on our site, please call us. We are here to assist you during the prescribed hours listed, at the numbers listed on top of this page.
Prices, specifications, and images are subject to change without notice. Not responsible for typographical or illustrative errors. Manufacturer rebates, terms, conditions, and expiration dates are subject to manufacturers printed forms.

Back