The New Retail Thread

If you really want to save money why not just make a lunch.
Best late night weekend food in the area comes from the sausage carts.

I don't mind the pictures. I think it's something I would need to wait to see in pictures.

10,000-square-feet is a rather large store; should show a big commitment in the Boston market. How big is the current space at the Taj?

I'm looking forward to see who will pick up the Taj space when Chanel relocates. I'm guessing they'll have plenty of suitors looking at the space.

Any photos or updates on this?

Last edited:
Ah -- but even in Paris they don't have:

After one of those wild and crazy parties thrown by the uber-1%ers:

"Dahhhling, can you please help -- I'm desperate for a freshen-up and I've run out of Chanel #5"

" Mais bien sûr, prendre mon ascenseur privé à la boutique Chanel"

"Merci"

"Mon plaisir, ne le mentionnent pas"

Eat your heart out Madame Sarkoszy

2c7390_ChanelNewbury.jpg

Best Buy closing big Back Bay store
By Greg Turner
Saturday, April 14, 2012

Best Buy confirmed this morning that it will close its major Back Bay store, dealing another retail blow to the storied building at the corner of Newbury Street and Mass. Ave. that once housed Tower Records.

The shutdown is part of the electronics chain’s plan to close 50 stores overall. The 360 Newbury St. store closed today but will reopen tomorrow for final sales.

“This was not an easy decision to make. We chose these stores carefully, and are working to ensure the impact to our employees will be as minimal as possible, while serving all customers in a convenient and satisfying way,” Best Buy said in a statement.

http://bostonherald.com/business/ge...osing_big_back_bay_store/srvc=home&position=5

WOW! I'm surprised to see this go, but at least there's still the Best Buy at Landmark Center & one at South Bay.

Do you think this'll be good news for any businesses on Newbury Street? I'll now be more likely to go to Newbury Comics first for new DVD's/Blu-Rays than Best Buy (obviously).

Mixed feeling on this.

They will be better sorted when a new tenant moves in.

You know that location would great for another bank or cellphone store. Make it unique by incorporating an Irish pub or sushi place into the lobby.:rolleyes:

I concur with one of the posters on Universal Hub that Trader Joe's moving into that location probably is the best we could hope for.

The Other Side cafe across the street is also closing, which is going to render this corner really dead for a while.

I also like the Trader Joe's idea.

^ Would the Trader Joe's on Boylston move to that location?

I have no idea if they have any inclination of doing so, but it sure would be nice to have them directly upstairs from a major T station. It would make this street corner quite lively.

Wasn't Other Side given a reprieve?

Shame about the empty space in 360. Couldn't figure out how they thought they'd be profitable there in the first place. Store bled red from the start.

Funny, the Trader Joe's idea seems to be a universal one. Only question I have is, isn't it a bit large (so they'd have to sub-divide). Also, how do they get stuff into the building? Best Buy sold white appliances - where did they come in when they restocked? On Newbury Street or Mass Ave or what? Would a supermarket be able to stock its shelves in the same location? I assume Trader Joe's currently uses the back alley on its side of Newbury.

Other Side was given a reprieve a few months ago, but now is really closing (at least according to their Facebook page, and some markings on their front outside wall)

Funny, the Trader Joe's idea seems to be a universal one. Only question I have is, isn't it a bit large (so they'd have to sub-divide).

Some Trader Joe's in AZ and CA are very large (easily twice or three times the size of the Brookline TJs). That still may not be big enough for this entire space, but it is a perfect idea. To really fantasize...maybe Symphony Whole Foods can turn into Symphony Trader Joe's and Best Buy could become the Back Bay Whole Foods.

One of the attractions of TJ's on Boylston is the access to Pru business workers at lunch hour. Is that still viable two blocks away?

This thread is all just desirable speculation though. Doesn't matter.

I didn't really understand why they opened that Best Buy in the first place. The Landmark Center is just down the street, not to mention the South Bay and Cambridgeside locations. Generally, I can't imagine they make a huge margin on the casual walk ins cruising Newbury or the businesses in the Back Bay.

Love this photo on the wall of the Dunkin Donuts at 715 Boylston Street. Yeah, it's a rotten camera phone photo but you can see the owners in the old photos - the early 1970's, maybe? And it looks as though they baked on site, at some point.

Boston-20120403-00154.jpg

Posh on Tremont (next to Aquitaine, nik-naks and stuff for your home) has closed.

IMG-20120401-00151.jpg

Also, restaurant at 93 Mass Ave is closed. I can't believe the owner of that building had such a hard time getting anyone to approve of his rebuilding plans. I think they've ended up agreeing to rebuild/reface it. Yes, this is the same building where Other Side is located (around the corner).

IMG-20120418-00208.jpg

In the Globe today: The Palm is going to open in International Place, on the Greenway side.

Back