The New Retail Thread

Meyers & Chang love the neighborhood so much they make jokes about when police actions in the neighborhood. True. Read their twitter feed. They seem to make it work.

Flood the area with cops?

Worked for everywhere Giuliani wanted gentrified in the 90s.

It's boring to rehash the Pine Street Inn argument time and again. Sorry I bought into it.

On a related note, however, if you want your mind blown, spend 4-5 hours at the Back Bay Starbucks at 755 Boylston Street. Every day, I see at least one (blatant) shoplifting incident.

It is simply amazing.

Happens at every other Starbucks I go to but Back Bay wins the prize. (Which is then stolen.)

Flood the area with cops?

Worked for everywhere Giuliani wanted gentrified in the 90s.

The problem is there's a constant stream of new people with the same behavioral problems imported into the area because of the PSI and the bulk of medical services being offered to the problematic population at BMC. If the city's homeless services were evenly spread out throughout the city, it wouldn't be as much an issue.

Those people need to be placed somewhere near the social and medical services offered by the state per our feel good system. Exiling them to the harbor island, as in the days of old, would put an end to the crime problem. Of course that wouldn't be considered humane nor make any sort of attempt to reintroduce the afflicted to society.

Since we can't go all Victorian on people, why should any one neighborhood be blighted with a concentration of POTENTIALLY dangerous people as they are reintroduced to society? Why isn't the societal burden spread out among the city? Should Beacon Hill, Back Bay, West Roxbury, et al not share part of the responsibility that SoWa does to their fellow man that they pretend so much to care about?

*Moderators should probably split all the related posts to a general forum thread?*

... why should any one neighborhood be blighted with a concentration of POTENTIALLY dangerous people as they are reintroduced to society? [/B]

Some neighborhoods have criminal miscreants, others have undergraduates...it all evens out.

Is there really a black market for their expensive coffee, logo'd merchandise, and random mix CDs designed to fill your car or residence up with suck?

So true. Ed Glaeser has talked about how just because homeless live in cities it's not the cities' problem to fix - it's everyone's. Unfortunately, those kinds of thoughts don't float very far.

Regarding Starbucks, there's a lot. Remember, they have sandwiches, etc., in open display cases, making them easy targets. The barristas can't see what's going on there.

They steal coffee, apparently because they have coffee pots (and coffee grinders?) at home? It used to be that you could return items at Starbucks without a receipt, so they would steal the coffee, then come back and ask for a refund. The barrista would give them cash, back, and then throw the coffee away (presumably for fear it was now contaminated). So, they lost money twice.

The merchandise must be very similar. I've seen mugs taken. Best one was taking a stirrer up his sleeve. Slight of hand.

I spend about 20 hrs a week in Starbucks. You see a lot.

a bunch of laid off losers/ppl stuck in college afraid of the real world using free wifi cuz they cant afford internet at their shitty apartment driving their 2003 civic wearing glasses talking about going to whole foods to spend a disproportionate amount of their mysterious income at whole foods because their chickens are free grazers because they read something somewhere all well they judge every single motherfucker that walks in the door but really they're too self absorbed/afraid to look at themselves to realize how ugly/failures they really are themselves.

a bunch of laid off losers/ppl stuck in college afraid of the real world using free wifi cuz they cant afford internet at their shitty apartment driving their 2003 civic wearing glasses talking about going to whole foods to spend a disproportionate amount of their mysterious income at whole foods because their chickens are free grazers because they read something somewhere all well they judge every single motherfucker that walks in the door but really they're too self absorbed/afraid to look at themselves to realize how ugly/failures they really are themselves.

Are you day-drinking because there's no school tomorrow or something? That was hilarious.

wearing glasses

Ouch, I didn't realize having poor eyesight and an aversion to contacts (they're so annoying!) made you pretentious!

Best one was taking a stirrer up his sleeve.

Does this count? Aren't the stirrers basically free?

I used to think I was probably stealing by not paying for the newspapers in Starbucks and just reading them at a table there, but that was before it became a standard media business model to give away online content for free...

I should've said fashion glasses. Don't worry cz, your pretentious all on your own.

bb I graduated years ago.

Also, going back to an old discussion:

I incorrectly noted that the new pub in One Boston Place (BNY Mellon) fronts State/Court St, but it actually fronts Washington St. I walked by it yesterday. It's pretty nondescript and almost hidden because of the set-back. It's too bad it doesn't meet the Washington St. streetwall regularly.

Here it is:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=state...=0_Ih0d9aCNjxlzWVxoBpxg&cbp=12,285.83,,0,-0.7

These are long metal stirrers. Don't know what they use them for.

Wholy Grain - at 275 Shawmut Ave, South End. A bakery / cafe. Pastries and sandwiches and roasted meats. Opening today, this week.

Back