The New Retail Thread

The mayor coming out against the BID is a load of crap, considering he is the one that put it all together, complete with his own managers. And now he's upset that his own people are doing something? I don't know if he really wants them to stay or is just hiding behind them.

While I'm sure his response is all politics, would you rather he say nothing?

Also, I'm not seeing the issue with him helping to form an association with good intentions, and then chastising them when they loose focus and their actions fly off the rails. I mean if you have a kid when they screw up you don't just do nothing because you were involved with their creation (well... in theory)

Can you link us an article where members were forced to join the BID, John? I seem to remember everyone being pretty happy about it when it got put together.

The statute requires (1) approval of at least 60% of property owners in the proposed BID and approval of at least 51% of the assessed valuation of the property within the proposed BID. This 2011 article (http://www.commonwealthmagazine.org...-you-noticed-a-change-in-downtown-Boston.aspx) states that 80% of the business owners in Downtown Crossing voted in favor of the BID. If that number is accurate, 20% of business owners likely were not happy when the BID was formed unless a large number of that 20% didn't vote for one reason or another.

The BID raises ~$3.2 million annually. The BID needed to force all property owners to contribute because the ones that declined were several large companies, and they needed their money. Next year, the BID will collect an extra $1 million.

From the Boston Business Journal, Landlords must now pony up for BID:

But two notable companies took advantage of the opt-out provision. Equity Office Properties, which owns 100 Summer, 28 State, 150 Federal also known as 100 High, 125 Summer and 175 Federal streets, chose not to participate, avoiding an annual payment of $596,000. Tishman Speyer, which owns One Federal Street, chose not to participate, saving $215,000. The Napoli Group, which owns two McDonald’s restaurants in the district, initially opted out of investing about $4,000 in the BID but later changed its mind.

EDIT: Commonwealth Magazine reported that the Omni Parker House and NStar also opted out.

Revisions to the BID legislation passed last year makes membership compulsory.

Under the legislation, landlords who opted out of paying into the Boston’s BID established in 2010 will be required to contribute or face a lien on their property when the improvement district comes up for renewal in 2015. The BID includes a 34-block area in Downtown Crossing and portions of the Theatre and Financial districts.

A map of the Boston BID area:

bid_map.jpg

Madura at Newbury and Dartmouth streets is closing. Never went in, don't know anyone who ever did. Prominent space.

madura_zps1e55672b.jpg

Madura at Newbury and Dartmouth streets is closing. Never went in, don't know anyone who ever did. Prominent space.

madura_zps1e55672b.jpg

I went in for the first (and last) time last week because 80% off on sheets and curtains is a ridiculously awesome deal. As expected, most of their stock is gone now; the stuff was nice, though.

A restaurant would be so great here. Maybe a 1950's style 24-hour diner or--dare I say it--the rebirth of Charley's?!?!?!?!

RE: Walgreen's at DTX. Lots of refrigerators and display coolers were in this morning.

Geoffrey's Cafe in South End closed for failure for (allegedly) not paying back rent.

Three new Subway restaurant locations opening soon in South End area - and one in South Boston. (I was researching this why?)

11 West Broadway
805 Harrison Ave
700 Albany
334 Mass Ave (Symphony East building)

If they really are opening a "new" store on Mass Ave, that would be very peculiar, since there's already one at 393 Mass Ave, at the Mass Ave Orange Line station.

How many damn Subway locations do we need? They're popping up EVERYWHERE.

Subway also overtook McDonalds in FY 2011 (?) with most locations on the planet.

This has been in the works for a while and is great news. It allows for the continued expansion of the great build out of the Boylston street corridor in the neighborhood. Will further apartment growth. And pretty much ensure the redevelopment of the shaws lot into a significant new development, maybe with a supermarket component, but maybe not, considering its a target and wegmens area.

I was holding out hope for Wegmans in the ground floor of the Burnham building...but this is good news.

Back