The New Retail Thread

Shake Shack=Crispy Kreme

There I said it.

I've thought about this analogy but I don't think it works because burgers are not comparable to doughnuts. Doughnuts are treats and everyone knows that they are one of the worst foods for you. Burgers are by no means healthy but they aren't going anywhere. Will there be 40 minute lines at Shake Shack forever? Definitely not. But saying that all their local locations will be closed within 4-5 years a la Krispy Kreme is very misguided in my opinion. I see the Boston area easily supporting at least 5 more Shake Shakes (I can see one near downtown crossing, one by BU/Allston and one near Fenway Park being highly successful for starters).

Sonic could improve their profitability if they marketed their product as both fast food and a bowel evacuant.

FYI, Five Guys on Huntington doesn't open til Monday. Better you know now RATHER THAN WALK THERE AND BE DISAPPOINTED AND PISSED OFF.

Sonic could improve their profitability if they marketed their product as both fast food and a bowel evacuant.

+1. Sonic is low grade dog food.

In-N-Out is approaching B Good quality (less the organic, local sourcing thing) at a Mc'D's price point.

But saying that all their local locations will be closed within 4-5 years a la Krispy Kreme is very misguided in my opinion.

Yes, Krispy Kreme was a fad that fizzled when it went all Starbucks-in-Vegas a decade ago, but it remains a reputable and viable doughnut shop throughout the Southeast where it merrily plugged along for 60-70 years before some genius sought to hype it into the stratosphere. I doubt Shake Shack will have nearly as much staying power.

Five Guys burgers are phenomenal for fast food (or is it fast casual? whatever), but their fries are atrocious, and they refuse to look into making shakes.

That said, is it me, or are there no good local places for a burger and shake? Always just chains it seems. Maybe I'm just not into that scene enough to know.

Five Guys burgers are phenomenal for fast food (or is it fast casual? whatever), but their fries are atrocious, and they refuse to look into making shakes.

That said, is it me, or are there no good local places for a burger and shake? Always just chains it seems. Maybe I'm just not into that scene enough to know.
I love UBurger at Faneuil Hall. (next to TD Bank/ex-McDonalds) They are a local chain like Boloco.

Agreed, UBurger is great. The new NU location in Curry student center is my most frequented restaurant down there.

A bit expensive but definitely the best I've had at a chain restaurant.

Uburger took over Cafe Belo in Kenmore, so they have a special place in my "do not want" list.

All of the Cafe Belos closed. I think the whole chain went bankrupt. Not UBurger's fault.

Agreed, UBurger is great. The new NU location in Curry student center is my most frequented restaurant down there.

A bit expensive but definitely the best I've had at a chain restaurant.

I think their chicken sandwiches are actually better than Chick-fil-A, which really says something. The Phat Chick sandwich (chicken, cheddar, bacon, bbq sauce) is bombbbbb. They have great fries too. You're right though, it is pricey.

In-N-Out is still my favorite though. One of the things I miss about living out in California. I have never eaten at a fast food place that is as consistent as In-N-Out. Good food, pretty low prices. Good service.

But back to places in this area....

I love U Burger as well. Between them and Tasty Burger, they are my favorites in this area. Much better than Wendy's, or Burger King imo.

Which profit-minded corporation grinds up mass-slaughtered animal carcass in the most tasty way for messy finger food consumption? Read this thread to find out.

Which profit-minded corporation grinds up mass-slaughtered animal carcass in the most tasty way for messy finger food consumption? Read this thread to find out.

Y'know, it is possible for businesses other than corporations to produce hamburgers.

I think he is referring more so to the health quality (lack thereof) of the product and the specific industry food production standards.

I think he is referring more so to the health quality (lack thereof) of the product and the specific industry food production standards.

You seem to have gotten a lot more out of his statement than the words in it would seem to convey.

You seem to have gotten a lot more out of his statement than the words in it would seem to convey.

Roman historian Seneca discusses what makes for the greatest form of death in the gladiatorial arena: "For death, when it stands near us, gives even to inexperienced men the courage not to seek to avoid the inevitable. So the gladiator, no matter how faint-hearted he has been throughout the fight, offers his throat to his opponent and directs the wavering blade to the vital spot."

Your reaction to this quote today is likely how this hamburger discussion will be perceived a few thousand years from now.

Back