The New Retail Thread

Under Armour Brand House to the Prudential Center. Will be their second largest Brand House store.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2016/04/13/under-armour-targets-boston-with-its-second.html

Is this the 888 Boylston space that is remaining after Eataly?

Hard to tell. They have a sign up in the Pru mall now for Under Armour...my guess is that it's not the massive retail besides Eataly. I bet there will be something else.

Rumors are floating around that Tesla is moving from the mall down into 888 Boylston as one of the new tenants.

Shake Shack and MiniLuxe signage has gone up today in the Seaport at 85 Seaport Blvd/Watermark.

Additionally, signage for byCHLOE and Juice Press has gone up on the side of 101 Seaport.

Hard to tell. They have a sign up in the Pru mall now for Under Armour...my guess is that it's not the massive retail besides Eataly. I bet there will be something else.

Rumors are floating around that Tesla is moving from the mall down into 888 Boylston as one of the new tenants.

CJBski -- 18,000 sq ft -- that is fairly large retail space -- try about 180 x 100 or perhaps 134 x 134

I feel like Uniqlo's quality has started regressing a bit in the past few months. Maybe I'm imagining things, but lots of their shirts (from the same line that I've purchased previously) have completely changed in terms of cut and fit. Am I just going crazy?

Uniqlo is usually fairly quiet during the week but quite busy on the weekends. I haven't noticed a difference in the shirts personally (the casual button down ones.)

Uniqlo is usually fairly quiet during the week but quite busy on the weekends. I haven't noticed a difference in the shirts personally (the casual button down ones.)

I don't buy there because the arms are always too short but there has been a lot of buzz over the cuts getting roomier. They have a bit of a cult following and the folks who liked their formerly slim cut button downs are not thrilled.

WaPo linked an (really fucking) interesting project by City Observatory, mapping street-level storefronts in urban areas. Here's the City Observatory article, but here's the link to maps of various metros in the US and finally here's a link to a map of the Boston metropolitan district.

Mods, move if not on-point for retail thread, but I thought it was the best place for this project as retail developments tend to glom on to already-existing corridors, so it's interesting to see how the tentacles stretch out from the nodes, see where the future opportunities lie, and also interesting in that it provides a visual reference for why some areas struggle to attract retail.

Joe Pesaturo just pointed out that the CapitalOne 360 Cafe on Boylston added outdoor seating this year. This is great.

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/725360210232012801

ChD_O41WYAEAS3_.jpg

Do people actually use these Capital One cafes...? I can't think of many worse things than drinking coffee and listening to someone talk to me about banking products.

^Agreed.

Also, Jimmy John's is coming to 10 Park Plaza (next to Starbucks on the Charles Street side)

Do people actually use these Capital One cafes...? I can't think of many worse things than drinking coffee and listening to someone talk to me about banking products.

I think it's really no different than a Peet's Coffee. They only talk to you about banking if you want to open an account or have a CapitalOne account and need help from what I understand.

Last edited:
I think it's really no different than a Pete's Coffee. They only talk to you about banking if you want to open an account or have a CapitalOne account and need help from what I understand.

Yea, I've been in there a few times and thought it was pretty good considering it was half bank.

Yea, I've been in there a few times and thought it was pretty good considering it was half bank.

So there's no "pitch?" Unless you specifically request to speak with someone, nobody's going to bother you? What about the coffee, is it any good? I know they advertise it as "Peet's," but is it a legitimate coffee shop, or a bank that has Peet's K-cups and some stale baked goods? Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what these places offer and why anyone would go there vs. Starbuck's (or an actual Peet's).

So there's no "pitch?" Unless you specifically request to speak with someone, nobody's going to bother you? What about the coffee, is it any good? I know they advertise it as "Peet's," but is it a legitimate coffee shop, or a bank that has Peet's K-cups and some stale baked goods? Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what these places offer and why anyone would go there vs. Starbuck's (or an actual Peet's).

The one in the Ink Block is actually a legitimate coffee house (Peet's).

They are real, fully functional Peet's Cafes that happen to have CapitalOne bankers with iPads that can assist you with your account. They are a cafe first, hence CapitalOne Cafe.

They are real, fully functional Peet's Cafes that happen to have CapitalOne bankers with iPads that can assist you with your account. They are a cafe first, hence CapitalOne Cafe.

Well maybe I'll check one out. Thanks.

The one at Tremont and Winter always seems packed in the am.

If you have a Capital One account, you get half off coffee as well... definitely a perk. I've been to the one in the Ink Block and never felt like i was in a bank. I'm not opposed to them.

If you have a Capital One account, you get half off coffee as well... definitely a perk. I've been to the one in the Ink Block and never felt like i was in a bank. I'm not opposed to them.

Sweet thanks for that!

So I think if we've learned anything in this thread it's that CapitalOne Cafes are losing a lot of business due to preconceived notions & misconceptions.

That's the first I've heard of this?? When did they announce that?

Back