The Quinn (née The Berkeley) | 370-380 Harrison Ave | South End

Stefal -- I guess it's in the eye of the beholder as to what you define as Good/Complete -- what is needed in the core to keep competitive with our Global rivals is housing which is Cheap and Fast with sufficient quality to meet the requirements of the people who we need to attract / retain

Stefal -- I guess it's in the eye of the beholder as to what you define as Good/Complete -- what is needed in the core to keep competitive with our Global rivals is housing which is Cheap and Fast with sufficient quality to meet the requirements of the people who we need to attract / retain

Good design is subjective, yes, and affordable housing built at historically fast rates is what is desperately needed here.

I'm pointing out that we're seeing a nicer precast design on this is due to the fact that the developers have put in a little more money than others in order to get this kind of quality, compared to other less impressive developments across Boston/in the architecture realm in general. I don't think architects have the sole intention of making a building look poorly designed and built. That's the result of developers running them thin with low design and construction budgets so they can rake in higher margins on their profits quicker. Precast technology is improving, but it still costs more to have something like what we see on this project vs. lower quality stuff on similar projects.

What I think we can agree on good design is this: some of the best architects are able to play with a budget and find the optimal balance between cost, quality, and time, with the given constraints of their client. Sometimes that means we get a sub-par looking facade, but at astonishingly low cost per square foot so as to decrease housing costs. Sometimes it means we get boundary-pushing technological feats in our buildings and ultra-creative facades, but at astronomical prices because the developer had the money and will-power to do so. Few developers know the second route, because they're so used to the first route. There's a lot of uncertainty in lower margins.

Last edited:
Boston ZBA needs to simplify zoning code to accommodate buildings like The Quinn citywide as of right. 280 units, urban, and contextually sympathetic, and walkable.

One of these in every city neighborhood built annually will help keep pace with our regional housing needs and help stabilize real estate costs in the next 10 years.
Did you see the Quinn was 280 units? Everything I have seen said 101 units which surprised me as low for what looks like such a large building.

Did you see the Quinn was 280 units? Everything I have seen said 101 units which surprised me as low for what looks like such a large building.
Per BPDA, 273 units.

I think I see where you got the 101 #: a Notice of Project Change from October 2017 notes there will be 101 condo units and 172 rental units.

Last edited:
Rearb by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1835 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1839 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1842 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1848 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1845 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1836 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1851 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
Were these pictures taken on Wed with a small digital camera? I walked by someone taking photos of the Quinn and thought to myself that could be beeline ... but this person was not flying.

Were these pictures taken on Wed with a small digital camera? I walked by someone taking photos of the Quinn and thought to myself that could be beeline ... but this person was not flying.
Not me. I took these photos on Saturday the 14.

^^^ I believe it's precast because the rest of the buildings facing is.

Id love to see it used on some new condo/apartment buildings. Some of the 5 over 1 projects going up everywhere could really use some new materials to play with.

2B8214C2-4BC8-4AF6-8446-2A35D27EAFB7.jpeg
575E9C2C-295C-4D96-8130-6A2B1B02F468.jpeg
C2CC4226-CC9C-42C4-B62B-E2EEB661BA00.jpeg

Whats that material at the base? Looks like brownstone, is that precast too? It looks good either way, if precast brownstone exists now I could see a lot of wonderful uses for it to liven up the cheap architecture being turned out these days.

Even being precast it adds a great additional texture to the building and makes the whole thing really pop. I'm kind of reminded of how every one decried Alucobond for years but loved it on 10 Farnsworth and the Mass Art Treehouse. Precast and Alucobond are not the issue, It's about using materials wisely and with a total design in mind.

100% true. Mediocre materials can look great when used right.

So if this has precast brownstone (reddish brown sandstone) why isnt it being used other places? If this exists lets get some modern brownstones as infill... Please god 🙏.

-We already know precast limestone exists from liberty mutual. We should be getting many more new buildings with these materials than we are. Now that there has been a modern lower cost way to have these facades, why is there not a resurgence of buildings being clad in them... Wtf.

-Anyways this looks very good. The precast brick here is very high quality just like lovejoy wharf.

100% true. Mediocre materials can look great when used right.

So if this has precast brownstone (reddish brown sandstone) why isnt it being used other places? If this exists lets get some modern brownstones as infill... Please god 🙏.

-We already know precast limestone exists from liberty mutual. We should be getting many more new buildings with these materials than we are. Now that there has been a modern lower cost way to have these facades, why is there not a resurgence of buildings being clad in them... Wtf.

-Anyways this looks very good. The precast brick here is very high quality just like lovejoy wharf.
Liberty Mutual is real limestone veneer, not a precast look alike. The veneer came from the same quarry as the monumental limestone on the original building.

Also I would not be surprised of some of the "precast" brick we are seeing is actually panelized thin brick veneer. Thin brick has gotten pretty cost effective.

What I had always heard was that the base was limestone and the tower was some fancy limestone precast stuff.

-Upon further digging thats exactly what it is.

"The Tower’s wider two story podium is made of Indiana Limestone and granite cladding. From the 3rd floor up, the entire building is made from Indiana Limestone cladding on precast"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.polycor.com/bostons-new-tower-soars-with-a-distinctly-american-stone-and-a-heritage-feel?hs_amp=true

So its clad in precast but with limestone veneers. It looks wonderful and all you see is the outer layer anyways so whatever it takes to get a gem like this works for me.

Back