The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

#bostno

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Why is this the project they choose to try to block?? It's the best proposal in the seaport.

I glanced quickly at the CLF filing before posting the link.

Several comments.

On West's point about the failure to meet the requirements set out in the Chapter 91 permit that was issued (CLF also alleges a second permit was required, but either never applied for, or never issued). It seems to me the first permit would be provided to Cronin when title to the properties was conveyed. The Chapter 91 permit represents an encumbrance on the title. If Cronin now claims he is/was unaware of such, he ought to sue his friggin lawyer.

I agree, the permit ought to have shown up in the title search at the transfer. But I’ve never bought a waterfront property so I don’t know how standard it would be for a title company to look for something like this. Also, I don’t know if Cronin is claiming to be unaware of it. But it seems his various filings have not mentioned it. And buried in the mess of exhibits, it seems that during the public process, there was mention of some previous approval for a walkway, and in the CLF’s public comments back in the autumn, they were then stating they hadn’t yet found that special permit. So it’s feeling like the existence of the permit was known, but the permit itself wasn’t entered into the public or permit process arena. Until CLF filed this suit. So I’d add to your comment, or maybe alter it, by saying that if Cronin and his lawyers were aware of the special permit, but tried to just tiptoe past the implications of it, that will probably turn out to have been a dreadful decision. How much of that would be the lawyers’ fault and how much the client’s (Cronin’s) fault, I dunno, I wasn’t in the room.

A good part of the CLF filing relates to what could be characterized as the state being sloppy by failing to adhere to its own procedures and requirements. CLF has been litigating Chapter 91 long enough to have memorized the process by chapter and verse. Its entirely possible that neophyte lawyers / departmental officials who came on board with the change of administration were not fully familiar with the process they tried to follow, and are now ensnared.

This is an important point, and gets to the question tysmith posted of “why is this the project they choose to try to block?” And others have taken a similar approach. The CLF is suing the state, not the developer. As stellarfun notes, the CLF is saying the state was sloppy and didn’t follow its own rules. If they are right, a judge will tend to come down hard on the state, judges across the political spectrum really hate it when states don’t follow their own rules. Having noted, that, yes, clearly CLF is trying to stop this development in its current form, but their current defendant is the state, and as such the implications are much broader than this one site.

West, I'll just add one thing to your commentary. I have not read through the various CLF comments to the state, but if, as you indicate, the CLF put the state on notice as to the existence of a prior Chapter 91 permit, and the state neglected to secure and read a copy of same, that's the state's fault. It may be that the CLF had a copy of the permit in hand, and held off providing it (they were under no duty to do so). Thus, CLF set a trap, and the state walked into it.

If the CLF suit reminds both owners and the commonwealth of the obligations of Ch 91, it seems like a good thing.

The owners of even dumpy dives will need to brush up now, and get their permits and get in compliance, if only as a deposit against the day that they sell out to bigger developers.

Yes the new building is great and it is hard to see it delayed, but its greatness is diminished if we were entitled to a 12' walk all along and never got it. It'll be hard to be grateful for a 10' upon completion if the case turns out to be we should have had access all along.

West, I'll just add one thing to your commentary. I have not read through the various CLF comments to the state, but if, as you indicate, the CLF put the state on notice as to the existence of a prior Chapter 91 permit, and the state neglected to secure and read a copy of same, that's the state's fault. It may be that the CLF had a copy of the permit in hand, and held off providing it (they were under no duty to do so). Thus, CLF set a trap, and the state walked into it.

I went back and found it. From page 5 of exhibit D, there’s a paragraph that reads:
There is repeated discussion in the amendment and in the record of the public meetings that there is an alleged pre-existing Chapter 91 license from 1997 for this site that contemplates construction over the water sheet. This permit has not been produces as far as CLF could discover; its terms are unknown; and it is likely expired. Until there is further information on the nature and terms of this alleged license, it has no bearing on the decision before you on this amendment.

Exhibit D was a July 2016 letter from CLF to Matt Beaton, Secretary of EOEEA (now one of the defendants in their suit). So it’s not that CLF was putting the state on notice to this old license, they were referencing its alleged existence. I would be very surprised if CLF would put something like that in a letter if they had actually been sitting on the old license at that time.

But they obviously got it at some point, and they’ve deployed it now. Note that in the July 2016 letter they speculate that it was probably expired and thus moot. Now that they've found it, and it seems open-ended, they're using it.

Anyhow, I'm not claiming I can refute your idea that they set a trap and the state walked into it. But....it seems more to me like numerous parties in the public process were making reference to that old license, and CLF was scrambling around trying to find it, and then did. The letter from CLF only makes oblique reference to "repeated discussion", I didn't see anything else to clarify who was doing that discussing. But if it was Cronin's lawyers and / or the state, then they were dropping clues in the CLF's lap that have now come back full circle.

One other interesting tidbit from the July 2016 CLF letter jumped out at me:

The developer has done an outstanding job of aligning political allies and gathering support from the South Boston community by pointing to the offsite senior housing and proposed $1.5M in contribution to the Martin Richards Park that the project will provide. The architectural renderings are striking, in particular in the context of the many public observations and complaints about the ‘boxy’ nature of recent projects in the South Boston Waterfront area.

Seems like even CLF likes the design, aesthetically.... or at least had the sense to make nice before inserting the knife.

West, as I read Exhibit A, the permit was for a term of 30 years, starting in 1997? Its not as if it was some dusty, yellowing document from the 19th Century.

Reading the language you cite above, I would agree that CLF did not have a copy when it submitted comments last July. However, the permit did come into their possession later, but a very quick scan of their subsequent comments and their request for a reconsideration of the state's approval several weeks ago makes no obvious reference to it. (I concluded the latter from reading the state's rejection of CLF's request, with its refrains of 'no new facts'.)

If the CLF suit reminds both owners and the commonwealth of the obligations of Ch 91, it seems like a good thing.

The owners of even dumpy dives will need to brush up now, and get their permits and get in compliance, if only as a deposit against the day that they sell out to bigger developers.

Yes the new building is great and it is hard to see it delayed, but its greatness is diminished if we were entitled to a 12' walk all along and never got it. It'll be hard to be grateful for a 10' upon completion if the case turns out to be we should have had access all along.

The greatness was diminished when 1/1800th of the City shit itself over a 266' glass box. ....i'm being generous. if ~300 people out of 576,000 actually give a rats ass about 2' of walking right-of-way forfeited on what not too long ago was a briny desolate wasteland, i'd be very surprised.

Stellarfun, I agree, it seems odd that something of that vintage would have taken so long to surface, that's been nagging at me all day.

Do these special Chapter 91 licenses get filed with a property's deed at the County registry? It'd have been easy to find it if so. But there's these references to it being discussed without being in evidence, so it can't have just been sitting at the court house; CLF probably has a paralegal down there every other day pulling docs for one reason or another.

I've never done a waterfront property transaction in MA or any other state for that matter, so I have to admit to being clueless as to how a 1997 vintage doc of such significance to a public process could have not been put into play. Seems weird, but maybe it's not?

Stellarfun, I agree, it seems odd that something of that vintage would have taken so long to surface, that's been nagging at me all day.

Do these special Chapter 91 licenses get filed with a property's deed at the County registry? It'd have been easy to find it if so. But there's these references to it being discussed without being in evidence, so it can't have just been sitting at the court house; CLF probably has a paralegal down there every other day pulling docs for one reason or another.

I've never done a waterfront property transaction in MA or any other state for that matter, so I have to admit to being clueless as to how a 1997 vintage doc of such significance to a public process could have not been put into play. Seems weird, but maybe it's not?

My experience with both the Suffolk and Middlesex Registry of Deeds is that lots of materials get misfiled, mis-tagged to the wrong property, etc. With every real estate transaction I have had in the Boston area, I have had issues with the documents on file, or not, at the Registry of Deeds. This is especially true of more specialized items like easements. I assume Chapter 91 licenses are also somewhat unusual (hence lost a lot).

Thanks, Jeff, that's helpful info. Disturbing, but helpful.

on page 22 of the BRA's June 2016 South Boston Waterfront District Municipal Harbor Plan Renewal and Amendment *:

Both the Written Determination for 146 Northern Avenue and License #6970 for 148 Northern Avenue envisioned a Harborwalk around the Waterfront perimeter of the property built over the water on the adjacent parcels. However, the Harborwalk was not constructed because the
Licensees did not control the area designated for the Harborwalk.

Huh? That 6970 license document did not at all "envision" a Harborwalk around the perimeter of the to-be-built restaurants, it made such a walk a requirement to be built within three years. And I don't see anything to suggest the Licensees did not control the area designated for the Harborwalk. Why would the state have attached a condition to a license that obliged an owner to build something they couldn't build?

This looks like the BRA just sort of glossed over something, or outright fudged, or threw in some artless spin, or ..... anyhow, they seem to have wandered out onto thin ice.

*This is the Waterfront plan amendment that the state subsequently approved, and which is the specific focus of CLF's lawsuit; they're asserting the state either a) ought not to have approved it on the merits, and/or b) did not follow its own procedures of approval and so ought not to have even gotten to the decision point on the merits. (That's a radical oversimplification of the lawsuit, but gets to the gist, I think.)

West,

Not a Massachusetts lawyer. But the Chapter 91 permit created a public easement on the property for as long as there was a non-maritime use. Easements are not vaporware.

Hard for me to believe that the previous owner (who had secured the permit but a few years earlier) did not tell Cronin of the existence of such, and even if he did fail to tell, that Cronin's lawyer, doing due diligence, did not discover it.

Further, once the likelihood of an existing permit was revealed by CLF in July 2016, good lawyering on the part of the city, Cronin, and the state should have tracked it down. For if there was no permit, then the conversion of the property to commercial, non-maritime use by the previous owner was illegal, -- which undercuts the property title, or at least its value, as well.

A lot of egg on a lot of faces.

^^This will send a chill through corridors at Chiofaro Co/Pru. How do you spend millions designing a tower and getting it permitted, only to have the CLF come along and blow everything up at the 11th hour?

It takes a lot of resources to stop lawsuits like this.

I'm thinking the main reason for this ridiculous lawsuit for this development is for the CLF is ready to file a law suit against harbor garage. That is the main play it seems. They will need history along with consistency that the group is showing for creditabity.

The globe article said it all concerning Barr foundation and Amos goals and I believe they are using the CLF to start building a list of consistent lawsuits against Boston development waterfront then slam harbor garage development into the courts.
It seems the Barr foundation wants to create some history in trying to block certain developments instead of just attacking the harbor garage development.

This crazy stuff in my opinion.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/02/14/barr/CFx85YaZbIdYolE9Vv7aYK/story.html

Then the aquarium CEO resigns.

Both Cronin site and harbor garage sites are not open space so there should be incentive to get these built.

Why didn't the CLF try to protect the waterfront by not developing the open parking lots right on the water for another park which was legitimately open space not file lawsuits against preexisisting structures that are already blocking the site from the waterfront.
I mean whiskey priest and Atlantic beer gardens along with harbor garage are all preexisting structures that already block the waterfront.

Wouldnt make sense to stop the parking lots from being redeveloped instead of prexsisting garbage structures?

Last edited:

Stellarfun, West, and Equilibria. Very much appreciate your research, analysis and discussion. Very enlightening. This is what I love about aB. Thanks and please keep up the good work.

^^^ Seriously, I just spent a good 45 minutes going over the past few pages of posts learning things I didn't even know I didn't know. This is a great community we have here. Sure as hell glad I didn't choose law school!

If you look at CLF annual report you will see on page 15 Amos and Barbara hostetter as a donor 10,000 24,999 which might not be a big deal.
http://www.clf.org/about/
I'm sure the Barr Foundation is deeply involved somehow with this.

But after the globe article it seems that this mr. hostetter is ready to donate all his money stop boston's waterfront from being further developed at this point.

Just connect the dots on who is actually creating the problem for Cronin.
I'm sure every development in history has some type of zoning or legal issue it just depends on how much money you are willing to go to stop the developments and who has the deepest pockets along with the smartest lawyers.

It does come down to the point what is best for the public and the city.
I'm not big on the seaport developments or the area but rebuilding this dump would be blessing for the area

Rifleman, your post underscores why the majority of voters in your self-initiated poll voted you off the board.

I'll illustrate this point by the example of a former industrial site auctioned and sold by the government. (Not Volpe, but probably with a similar industrial history as Volpe.) Much of the site is covered by a thick (up to five feet) concrete cap. There are those who might argue that the new owners out to build in the area covered by the cap, 'create density', etc.

However, the government has good reason to suspect that the soil under the cap is grossly contaminated. So the government, not being fools, attached a covenant to the title. The covenant basically provides that if the owner, or any subsequent owner, decides to excavate below the cap, the owner is responsible for the cleanup of the site. Without that covenant, the government would be responsible under CERCLA. The new owners have no intention of breaking through the cap, and instead will create a park.

Interestingly, the government retained title to the groundwater under the surface of this site. I'm not sure what that is about.

Back