The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Sicilian, this is the link to the revised plan, as sent by the BRA to the state in June.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/93624122-b2ab-423c-8646-ab1f123eb7e6

to be found at:
http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...h-boston-waterfront-district-municipal-har-(1)

However, this pdf file omits three pages from the file I downloaded a few days ago. Two of the omitted pages were the transmittal letter from Brian Golden, Director of the BRA, to Matthew Beaton, Secretary of the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, and dated June 15, 2016. Now why would the BRA delete the transmittal letter to the state?

(The pdf file page count should be 148, not 145.)

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

4459001_orig.jpg

This is The Landing restaurant in Marblehead. I suspect, because of Chapter 91, they were allowed to build the deck over the water's edge only if it was publicly accessible. The little white sign on the side of the building states, in effect, 'you may sit on the deck without ordering from the restaurant'.

Somewhat off topic, but related to the above post.

Last Friday I wanted to walk out along the harborwalk in front of the ICA.
There was a fence up with a small opening to allow people thru. I approached, and tried to read(an out of date) sign hanging on the fence to understand what was going on, and was approach by a young lady who told me she was sorry, but this is a private event.

I was confused, as I was pretty sure the actual harborwalk extends in front of the ICA, and thus needs to be open to the public (such as the white sign on the restaurant deck above.)

I mentioned this, but also said I'm not going to be a huge pain in the ass, but that for future reference someone could probably raise a big stink for being denied access to the water front.

Am I off base here? Does the harbor walk not extend in front of the ICA? Is the ICA somehow exempt from Chapter 91?

Thanks.

Can Cronin scale down this project at all to make this work?

No, i don't believe you can. i liken the joined parcels to Israel. Give up territory, and you're under the minimum of defensible territory.

Reducing the size of the tower on an already miniscule (Israel parcel) by the slightest amount, and the linkage goes to nothing. Go a few feet further and the viabilty shrinks to the vanishing point. Need that sliver + the easement to make even anything possible.

Last edited:

Wow. Now we're bringing Israel into this. I didn't think this thread could get any more contentious.

:)

Seriously Stellar:
Marblehead vs Boston: That's a disgrace.
This is like comparing a porcupine vs a Hippo in a fight.

I could see how Chap 91 should definitely apply to Marblehead developments or other small coastal towns but BOSTON.

The BRA has already scaled down Cronin's project so the ground floors of the building itself basically fits on the land that he owns.

He doesn't need to reduce the ground floor footprint further. I am not involved with development in Boston, but it seems to me that:

a.) the notion of having a Harborwalk around his little site is absurd -- there is no real benefit to the public. The key for public access is the Harborwalk on Tishman Speyer's property. There is no Harborwalk around Commonwealth Pier is there? Neither the BRA nor Cronin are being particularly creative.

b.) an offset for Cronin's use of 100 percent on his property can surely be found elsewhere, and something more substantial than his $1.5 million contribution to the Children's Museum park. I say that given the overall cost of this proposed building, and the very real potential for a big payoff. Maybe he could buy the city a couple of new ferries.

c.) the second offset is for being allowed to go to 250 feet. Perhaps the $1.5 million for the museum park is adequate, but I would note that whomever develops the HT garage is on tap for at least 10x that amount in offsets. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the value of the offsets for Hook going above zoning height, but perhaps 150 Seaport should be comparable.

odurandina, for about a year, I've been reviewing a building by a Pritzker architect for a site that's probably more challenging than what Cronin has, and its about 7500 sq ft. And Cronin is increasing his residential floor area by 40 percent by cantilevering.

Sicilian, this is the link to the revised plan, as sent by the BRA to the state in June. (continues)

I'll leave room for correction, but…

A Municipal Harbor Plan amendment (your link) defines the general parameters for development (massing, open space, etc.) as well as offsets and substitutions that would allow any project on the site to be considered by state regulators as an alternative to envelope and terms of the pre-existing MHP.

The 150 Seaport project's particulars -- which must comply with the MHP -- are defined by Project Notification Form (PNF) as zoned by the Planned Development Area (PDA).

I'm not clear why there would be discrepancies between each of these filings.

The MHP amendment (your link) does not include a front elevation and I'm not clear what change(s) have been made that would be applicable to the graphic I supplied (from the PDA). It is noteworthy that the MHP amendment's rendering of the front facade shows two garage bays… I'm pretty sure the final design has two garage doors for parking entry/exit and a loading dock.

Somewhat off topic, but related to the above post.

Last Friday I wanted to walk out along the harborwalk in front of the ICA.
There was a fence up with a small opening to allow people thru. I approached, and tried to read(an out of date) sign hanging on the fence to understand what was going on, and was approach by a young lady who told me she was sorry, but this is a private event.

I was confused, as I was pretty sure the actual harborwalk extends in front of the ICA, and thus needs to be open to the public (such as the white sign on the restaurant deck above.)

I mentioned this, but also said I'm not going to be a huge pain in the ass, but that for future reference someone could probably raise a big stink for being denied access to the water front.

Am I off base here? Does the harbor walk not extend in front of the ICA? Is the ICA somehow exempt from Chapter 91?

Thanks.

Seamus -- the Harborwalk is a public facility -- but there are times when Public Facilities become quasi private -- the classic paradigm is a parade down a city street where the organizing entity get a use permit from the city and then can control the public during the event [often with detail cops] -- so everyone seems to make out well

The most exceptional of course is the [pardon the pun] Official Course of the Boston Marathon -- during the event the cops can arrest you even for incursion onto the street

There are limits to the above and that is why the Red Sox purchase an easement on the street [Yawkee Way] so that they could put in turnstyles and serve beer

LOOKS LIKE A PARTY SCENE---Build it now

With everything really picking up in pace here lately the seaport has toooons of people there every night. Its really becoming popular with young people especially attractive women.

With everything really picking up in pace here lately the seaport has toooons of people there every night. Its really becoming popular with young people especially attractive women.

young attractive women congregating in the seaport at an increasing rate...hmmm I can deduct that rich older men will follow in greater numbers...I am now even more bullish that real estate prices in the seaport will continue to appreciate. It may have other terms but this investment thesis has resulted in a lot of capital being put to work ;) over the years

It's official: the Seaport is in a speculative bubble.

[/sarcasm]

Shirley Leung just fainted.

it was approved 4 weeks ago. :)

but in the ensuing days, the CLF began agitating, and they got the Globe parrots to help....

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=5153&page=13

Board member Mike Monahan slams the CLF.

"All you're really doing is holding our city hostage."

Back